Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Merger of GS CW makes Rally an infomercial
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Club

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Club

> Merger of GS CW makes Rally an infomercial

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
poqprince

Poquoson, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/13 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The comparison of Rally's before the merger of these two entities is like comparing a documentary to an infomercial. This is not good for those who enjoy the RV lifestyle. I am not a flamer nor a crotchety old man but the Rally is a poorly executed and poorly organized waste of time and effort. The conflicts of interest in our formerly beloved GS are just to many now to justify attending a Rally or really future membership.

One thing that has been overlooked is a new generation has begun to reach the prime years but little is available for boomers. It reflects old thinking and formulas for past generations. Seminars are virtually all tied to products and they of course are paying to be vendors.

The positive for the future is that other opportunities will develop for new organizations to form and grow. This very mercantile approach to what was a fine organization will be seen for what it is and remembered for what it could have been...

George and Steph USAF retired
2006 Ram 2500 Diesel
Sunline 2363 2003
Arctic Fox 25P
All who wander are not lost

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/13 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was this your first rally? Its been that way for the last 20 years that I am aware of. Vendors advertising and selling their products, with a little entertainment added, and maybe some stuff being given away as door prizes.

Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer toad

poqprince

Poquoson, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/13 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was not our first. That was in 2010. It is an order of magnitude more connected than it was before. CW has direct control of vendors and exhibitors. Maybe I was a slow learner the first time but this is it for me.

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/13 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its been many years since we last attended a rally. In every case the sponsoring party had control.
We have some dear friends that conduct seminars at ralleys all over the US as a means to supplement their income. They also sell books they have authored about the RV lifestyle, along with a cook book. They have been doing this for almost 8 years now.

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/13 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One with any of the rallies no matter who puts it on, they are expensive to put on especially at the scale if the GS rally. Someone has to pay for it, now that can be really expensive tickets for the attendees, or sponsors being soaked in fees or some combination of the above.

I believe the real difference is CW is the main commercial sponsor now, but at least when we attended Phoenix last, by no means the only one.

The original concept behind GS is long gone of just a bunch of people that like to camp and get together and plan some service type events that enhanced the camping experience.

Some of this was driven by US the members, as I tell my kids all the time careful what you ask for you may get it!

You see posts here all the time what do I GET for being a member of GS. We want discounts, services, this board etc. Our parents and grandparents grew up with sharing the work so that they could afford to do things.

My generation and especially the younger generations following are used to paying for what they want not participating. Think abut it what chance would cable TV have had of making it in the 60's? You want me to PAY to get TV!!!

Same with rallies, they used to be small and all volunteer and meals were joint adventures, like most RV.net rallies. Now though we want vendors, we want classes and no we don't want to teach them! We want to be entertained and kept busy.

"We have met the enemy and he is us."

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

az99

Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/13 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That was why I did not signup. When I had to join and enroll in all types of services I did not need, just to be able to get a decent price on going to the show, my better judgement said no.
The whole show other than the entertainment looked like nothing more than a GS/CW advertisement that I was paying to see.

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/13 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

poqprince wrote:

One thing that has been overlooked is a new generation has begun to reach the prime years but little is available for boomers. It reflects old thinking and formulas for past generations.

You are right on with this observation. Many of us of the boomer generation are more interested in boondocking, 'greener' RV living and different activities, like hiking, kayaking, canoeing, cycling and biking. Many of us do not feel we fit with the the GS crowd but I continue to be a member out of respect for its heritage.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/13 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

poqprince wrote:

This was not our first. That was in 2010. It is an order of magnitude more connected than it was before. CW has direct control of vendors and exhibitors. Maybe I was a slow learner the first time but this is it for me.

CW and Good Sam have belonged to the same company for many, many years - the Affinity Group. The only recent change was changing the name from Affinity Group to Good Sam Enterprises.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

poqprince

Poquoson, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/13 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mockturrtle that was exactly my point on what is available. We are active in all of the activities you listed. Right now at 65 our retirement is an active retirement. We enjoy those activities with two younger generations. I have yet to find a pop up, teardrop or seminar associated with them. Very few state tourism folks or even much on the provinces. It is activity poor but could be such a rich experience.

Thanks for the insight some of you have provided into organizational structures.

I guess my disappointment centers on what could have been...

Dick A

Spokane

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/13 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do have to agree with a few of the aforementioned posts. I am well into my senior years but very involved with this forum and the Elks as trustee/director. I have also belonged to FMCA for fifteen years. Most of these organizations / fraternal orders are having problems attracting new members and volunteers. I have long suggested we must have venues that attract younger members and families. Times change and so must organizations or they risk the probability of demise.

2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WAYMXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Club

> Merger of GS CW makes Rally an infomercial
Search:   Advanced Search