Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Do I have a pyramid made of poop? A question for dry campers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do I have a pyramid made of poop? A question for dry campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/13 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mentioned this in other posts that I have been living in my camper since June 4th with no opportunity to dump since may 31st or maybe as long as the 27th. With one exception I have been the only person pooping in my camper. I have been "P"ing in a plastic jug to save space and dumping the contents in the back yard. My black tank is listed a 40 gallons. The electronic monitor light has been red for a few days (indicating a full tank. When I look into the toilet opening I can visually verify that the poop level is a few inches from the toilet valve. I haven't been pooping that much and am having problems believing one person can fill up a 40 gallon tank in a short time.

Since the vehicle hasn't been moved the entire time it is possible that there is a big pyramid of poop in the center and if the RV is moved around it would move the contents around and lower the level of poop. It is also possible I didn't do a full dump the last time I emptied. Do dry campers that park in one location have this happen to them?

Once I am on the road and moving and bouncing around the poop level may settle down enough to where I will not need to worry about dumping.

EDIT I left my home in SC in early May the 6th or 13th so I have been liven in it since then but I have been able to dump at all the places I was staying at till I camped in a Camping world parking lot in Hanover PA. For this particular discussion I am just concerned with the time between my last dump and now.

* This post was edited 06/20/13 08:33am by silvercorvette *

2010 Dodge 409 CI diesel long bed dually crew cab B&W hitch, 95 Gallon Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER , Central vac, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, Rotochoks, TST Tire monitor.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/13 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be dumping water down with that poop....as part of the flushing.
I'd guess that you do have a piramid, but it's not the end of the world. Get a bag of ice...dump it down there, and then drive on a nice bumpy/winding road, before you go and try to dump it. Adding some Calgon to the tank may help too!

As long as you have at least half a tank of liquid, you should be fine.....and don't forget to add about 10-15 gallons of water, after you have dumped it.

Don't trust the level sensors....

Finally, what goes in, comes back out......so, depending on how much you eat, will dictate how quickly that 40-gallons gets filled up

You may want to see about getting that tank dumped more often...look around your area, and see if there is a CG that will allow you to come in and dump (usually for a fee).
Your edit notes that you have been parking at a CW....I'm pretty sure that they won't be to happy with you pouring you pee out on their grass

* This post was edited 06/20/13 08:41am by PapPappy *

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

daveshan

Durango Colrado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/13 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest thing preventing a "poop pile" is using lots of water when flushing, and ensuring plenty of water in the tank. The water used when flushing #1 helps keep things floating in the tank preventing #2 from piling up.

By only using the tank for more "important" things you didn't put enough water into the tank and now have pile instead of a slurry (sorry sounds gross but the best I could to to explain what happened)

Fill the tank with water and drive around a while then find a dump station, hopefully things will break up and go down the drain.

'99 Alpine 36SDS/8.3 ISC 330 Cummins
Or
'05 Lance 845
'06 Super duty SC/SB 6.0
Upgrades include: StabilLoads, Air Bags & Timbrens,Swaybars

Usually towing an '01 Wrangler, lifted/locked on 35"s or a mildly built '98 Cherokee on 33"s (only one locker)

2oldman

Moses Lake

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/13 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silvercorvette wrote:

Since the vehicle hasn't been moved the entire time it is possible that there is a big pyramid of poop in the center
Pyramids are the result of not using enough water over a long period of time, and leaving the drain open all the time. They're not caused by sitting still.
silvercorvette wrote:

Do dry campers that park in one location have this happen to them?
No. It's usually 'wet' campers who leave the black drain open 24/7.

* This post was edited 06/20/13 09:07am by 2oldman *

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/13 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Silver,

The "Black Pyramid" is a well known issue and is the direct result of not using enough water in the flush. If there is enough in the black tank, solids will simply roll off.

Your tank level gage may just be jammed on the solids.

Now, what you have to do is plan to go to some where that you can dump, go get a bag of ice, fill the tank with as full as you dare water or what all, get unhooked (if required), then dump in the ice and drive to the dump the long way.

Rinse the tank at least once while you are at the dump.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/13 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I planned on leaving NY a few days ago but was delayed, I ways trying to make the black tank last by not adding any other liquid other than the water I need to flush. These are unusual conditions and normallyI would not spent 3 weeks or more between dumps. I have to stop off at Camping World in PA to get my A/C fixed then I will make at least 2 dump stops. I won't do anything to the tank before the first dump but I will probably try the ice cube thing after my first dump.

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/13 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WATER, WATER, WATER

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/13 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading all the replies it is now obvious that I made a mistake in trying to avoid adding too much water to my black tank. I think that on my first stop at a CG with a dump station I will stay hooked up, dump my tank, then fill the tank with fresh water then take it for a short ride then dump the tank again.

I was so afraid to fill up the black with water I wound up creating a problem

==========================================
EDIT

In the past when I was never more than 2 or 3 days between dumps I never worried about adding too much water, it seems that my concern about filling the black tank with too much water is what caused the problem

* This post was edited 06/20/13 08:56am by silvercorvette *

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/13 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just retruned from our annual 2 week dry camp fishing trip. We have never had any pyramid issues in 15 years of doing this trip. We use enough water to flush but over the 2 weeks we never have filled the tank. Just before heading to the dump station I dump a 5 gallon bucket of water down the toilet. That and the trip to the station mixes up the tank contents well and it all flushes out fine.

Clay L

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/13 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 30 gallon black tank and use a fair amount of water when we flush. We fill it in about 10 days. That works out to 3 gallons added per day. For one person that would be 1.5 gallons per day.

That indicates that you should be able to go about 26 days with your 40 gallon tank before you have to dump (40/1.5 = 26.6). Of course the number can vary because your usage might not be the same as ours.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Now snowbirds after eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do I have a pyramid made of poop? A question for dry campers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS