Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: RVs made in China??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RVs made in China??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/13 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In another thread someone posted the link below about RVs being made ins China. This could or will be a reality? I hope not IMHO. What are other peoples thoughts?

There goes a lot of jobs. What about quality issues? If you have a major issue the dealer would have to take it to the manufacturer in China to deal with? Many other questions of course. This article is a year old now and don't know if there are any current updates on this story. Don't recall any discussion on this in any forums.

Chinese RVs

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS
2009 F250 - V10, supercab, 4WD, long box
Reese Strait-line DC WDH
51 camping nights in 2013
29 camping nights in 2014 to date

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/13 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So why is China not allowed to build RV's - in your opinion?

Importing RV's to the United States has not happened to my knowlege. I don't think I would want to buy one, but who knows. China has some higher quality items, and also lower cost lines. To date, many products sent to the United States are lower cost items, and thus less quality.

I think that those who live in China also would like to take a trip in a RV, just like we do over here.

Fred.

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/13 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the Chinese will make them here in the U.S.A. If you haven't noticed Chinese workers make as much or more than their American counter part, which includes medical care and pensions.
Case in point the Japanese, the Koreans,Mexico-(tracfone) on and on.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/13 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are quality issues with American built RV's.
I don't think that would be a good argument about Chinese RV's.

tanman32225

Jacksonville, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/13 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Mr. Han is going back to his roots. I have not seen much made in china worth the time it took to make it. I say we should go back to our roots and make things here at home.

The Chinese make junk. If you cater to them so be it, I will take USA made any day.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/13 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

China and Japan are potentially large RV markets, with China now importing RVs from U.S., Europe and Australia. Only recently has an industry developed producing RVs for local consumption.

Japan making their own RVs longer but still imports products (sizes) they don't make themselves. For example, the smaller 13 and 16 foot TTs from Casita, for sell as relatively big TTs in Japan. The smaller motorhomes produced in Australia (often on Japanese platforms) sell as big luxury RVs in Japan.

It makes a certain amount of sense for RVIA to try to bring these markets into the standards program used by the industry in the U.S., especially since companies in Asia are already producing components used in manufacture here.

But that doesn't mean China will suddenly swamp us with "made in China" RVs. Look at the automobile industry. The automobile market in China has been the largest in the world since 2008-2009, with 18 million vehicles purchase in 2010, about 5% of those imported. While this is countered by an equal number of exports to developing countries, we are still not seeing Chinese cars coming into the U.S. Produced using the same automated equipment employed elsewhere, costs are too close to be competitive after shipping.

Where Chinese products have come into the U.S., the driving force has been U.S. (and other foreign) companies outsourcing production. Products imported from China tend to be small, so as to have low shipping costs relative to sales price (computers, mobile phones, auto parts, tires, etc). I think for something like a RV to be successfully exported to the U.S., we would need to be convinced that it has a premium value, so that we are willing to pay more than we would for the domestically produced counterpart.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/13 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People said the same thing about Japanese electronics, look at them now not to mention their cars. We live in a global economy; best product, best price. Without that, there would be no competition and all products would be of poor quality. I say give the Chinese time, they are doing some great things. Before everyone complained because it was a Maoist communist China. They are opening their doors, being competitive and producing many good things and people complain about that.

As for their rvs, good on 'em. We now have more in common. Turns out they are revving up the industry, building rv parks, and people are getting outdoors.

Story from Woodall's - Chinese RV Parks in Infancy But Big Expansion Anticipated

6th Annual Beijing RV Show 2013

If China starts importing rvs to the U.S. hopefully U.S. manufacturers will get on the ball and start designing something that looks different than granny's living room. Something more Euro, more modern, more efficient, . . . Well, you get the idea.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/13 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little competition might make the RV manufacturers improve their products! Remember the lousy cars that were on the market until foreign car makers came on board?

Tom N

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/13 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Concerning US RV built quality. I see no way to go but UP.

Maybe China will do for the US RV industry what Japan did for the US auto industry. We now have quality built US automobiles thanks to Japan.

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

rockportrocket

on hyway 77

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/13 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They would have to join RVIA first. Im sure that aint gonna happen.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RVs made in China??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS