Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Saving sites - opinions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Saving sites - opinions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Jayco23FB

North Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lately we have been seeing more and more none paid "site saving" in campgrounds. What we typically see is a camp chair sitting in the drive of the site. I find it incredibly rude when people do this. Last weekend we went to a remote USFS campground where 5 of the 18 sites were saved this way. And of course they were all of the best sites. The people didnt show up until hours later. I dont have an issue if someone gets there early and PAYS for the sites but just saving sites at first come sites isn't right. What do you think?

Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

2oldman

Moses Lake

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope, don't like that. How did you know they weren't paid for?

Tiger4x4RV

San Diego County, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that a site needs to be both paid for and occupied in order to belong to someone. But how can you tell? I have a small class C, no toad. If I arrive, pay, put the tag in my RV windshield as directed, leave a camp chair in the driveway, and go off somewhere for sightseeing, the site might not look either paid or occupied to someone else.

BTW, my camp chair has a sign: "Site occupied" and my RV's license plate number. Maybe I should add a photo of the RV?

Yes, I know that some places indicate paid status by tag clipped to post. Where I camp maybe half do that and the other half want the tag in the windshield.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is NO paid receipt on the post, the chair goes in the dumpster and the site is available, period.......If you have a question about its availability, call the local ranger and let them be the bad guy. I do NOT honor any saved unpaid site......

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2010 Rzr or 2007 Grizzly 450 in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Jayco23FB

North Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in Idaho there is a tag that is placed on a post in front of the site with the days you are staying for.

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most state parks we have been to. You pay when you enter.
Than find a site and TAG it. Now it is yours. Not till than.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree you need to pay for the site then save it. Most campgrounds we go to require a tag to be placed where it is visible to show the site has been paid for.

An alternative would be if someone was there to watch over the sites for friends on the way to the campground. For example a club or group of friends. The first one in the campground pays for their site and then places chairs in other sites for their friends to make sure they all get to stay in the campground. But they must stay in the campground to watch over the chair-reserved sites.

At one really popular first come first to get site campground in California folks were actually reserving the sites with their RVs and then selling the site on Craigslist or a website. When the sub-renter shows up the "local" will move their RV to another site. People who lived nearby found a way to make some extra cash by sub- renting the sites. The officials have put a stop to this practice.

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed... I don't make reservations and often 'look' for first come/first served campgrounds. While working in the Carolinas, my favorite such park was Ebenezer due to it's proximity to Charlotte, NC and surrounding area. However, due to it's low camping fees at the time and location on the lake, locals severely abused the first come policy during the camping season.

Since the Ranger came around to collect fees in the late evening, a camper leaving in the morning could leave a pup tent on the site for a friend arriving late in the afternoon. Of course, an individual arriving in between assumes the site is taken, negating the first come policy. Plus, I have seen a pup tent sitting on a site for 3 or 4 days before someone arrived in a RV to occupy it. Someone obviously paid the low fees. But that negated the first come/first served policy. That went on for years. All that has changed. The county raised the rates 160% over night a couple of years ago making the park less desirable for anyone other than the leisure camper.

RVn Full-time

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always wanted to take the chair or what ever they leave to mark their spot and move it over to the dump site.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

Javi1

Waco, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/13 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm all for reserving sites... I'm tired of making reservations 3 to 6 months in advance and arriving to find all the sites large enough for my rig taken up by pop-up campers and 18ft trailers.... then listening to them fuss about having to navigate around my tongue sticking out into the road a foot or two...

Get over it or quit taking the larger sites for your little trailers..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Saving sites - opinions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS