Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: flags
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
relaxin

Fenwick, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not to start international incident, just a curious question.

I of course being CDN have a good ole maple leaf that I hang out off the side bar of my awning, and sometimes another small one somewhere. how would it be taken if I was in a park in the US and only put out my country's flag without an american flag beside it as typical for a sign of respect in a foreign land, is that still held in importance, or is it only for like government buildings and ships in foreign waters?

Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a Cougar 26rls, canoe, camera & fishing rod, 1998 GMC crew cab 6.5 litre deisel.
just me and my sexy little cougar in our cougar

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know the codes or anything, but I could care less if you simply flew your flag. It would let me know you're from Canada. If I went to Canada then I don't think I'd display a Canadian flag at all.

Now if you flew this Canadiens flag then we'd have issues.

3.0charlie

Montreal, QC

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey ho, that's MY Home team!

Eh.

John, DW and 4 kids.
2013 Kodiak 263RLSL
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid

cocos cabana

British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always fly the flag of our "host" country...just a mark of respect. MayBe I can also fly the Vancouver Canucks flag???

Raymon

Phoenixville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would not offend me. I think everyone should be proud to display their own country's flag. Hope you enjoy our country if you do come.

relaxin

Fenwick, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it does not bother me, I would be enclined to say "Hi" and "where ya from" I was curious as there is allot of people that get offended or worked up over little things on this forum,

Georgew48

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/13 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does not bother me. I love it when someone is proud of their country. I use to fly our C-5 into Abbottsford, B.C. for the airshow ever year and we always put the American flag out the top hatch on landing and taxi in. Never had any local say anything bad about it. I have some great friends from there and was always treated like a VIP. Hope we do the same for our friends from Canada when they visit us.

2013 F150 EcoBoost CC 4x4 Platinum
2013 F350 Dulley King Ranch
2013 Cardinal 3800FL
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/13 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has nothing to do with law, but with respect toward the host country to research and follow the rules… the same holds true for Americans at home or abroad…

The Flag Code requires that the US flag be flown on federal institutions, including public schools... It does not require you to fly the US flag and it does not forbid you from displaying a foreign flag….

For example, someone with Irish heritage may proudly fly an Irish flag and is not required to fly the US flag but, there was a time where hostility was shown when the German flag was flown in the US…
That prompted Theodore Roosevelt to state that we had one flag, and one language... We again are seeing the same tensions, but this time it is the Mexican flag...

The emotional tensions of the situation are understandable, but the Flag Code does not support those who want to forbid the flying of the Mexican flag within our borders without also flying the US flag...

I have my own feelings about it and won’t go into them, but you are within your rights to fly your own flag without regard to what others believe should be done, including myself…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

B's Bunch

Shelbyville, TN. USA Why live any where else?

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ill close by saying as long as it dont have an N in it you should not offend anyone. Larry

Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T The Double Wide

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/13 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it is perfectly permissible to fly your country's flag solo. If you do fly it together with a USA flag I would only expect them to be equal size and height.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS