Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Full-Time RVing with Kids?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Full-Time RVing with Kids?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
TheColoradoan

Denver, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/13 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello! My wife and I have decided to make the plunge... Full time RVing w/ kids... We have two little ones and took a 'test run' this summer where we hit the road for two months and fell in love with traveling around the United States sightseeing, and family we typically wouldn't see. I know there's been post about this before but I'm looking to connect with any other families who do this to get some pointers...

We're planning on heading out early October -- heading south for some warmer weather.

---
2013 Ram 2500 Mega Cab + 2014 Kodiak 300BHSL

Wishbone51

Newberg, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/13 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't really have any input that you're looking for, but as a kid, I moved around a lot. Looking back on my childhood, I wish that I was able to say "I've been friends with him since kindergarten." I was always the "new guy" in school, never really had any long term friends.. I've provided this stability for my kids. I wouldn't mind taking them on an extended vacation (did a 5-week, cross country last year), but not indefinitely, without a permanent location to call home.

Just my 2 cents.

2000 Komfort M-24TS
2004 Nissan Titan

RVing plans currently on hold.. Recovering from a bad motorcycle accident.

TheColoradoan

Denver, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/13 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great feedback and we've defiantly considered that. Our little ones are not in school yet and will not be in preschool for another year or so. Our hope is, while we're young and our kids are young (not in school) we're going to travel around and hopefully find a nice town we can call home in the future.

Mik68

Perth, Western Australia

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/13 11:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TheColoradoan wrote:

Great feedback and we've defiantly considered that. Our little ones are not in school yet and will not be in preschool for another year or so. Our hope is, while we're young and our kids are young (not in school) we're going to travel around and hopefully find a nice town we can call home in the future.

Great idea, I always dreamed of doing that when I was a young bloke with no responsibilities. I fell in love with San Louis Abisbo? in California & wanted to stay illegally, but didn't. I have a wonderful family now & am over in March 2014 to full time with 3 kids for 6 to 7 months. Can't wait! We love the US. I joke to my wife about doing what you mentioned above but she could never do it. Good luck! & go for it!

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/13 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in our early and mid 50's, but we have two daughters, ages 6 and 9. The DH and I both retired from our jobs and receive a good retirement each month. We have camp hosted for several months and are tentatively planning to go full-time next year. (We want the youngest to really be able to read well before we go). We will home school both girls for the year and plan to hit the western national parks and be "down south" for the winter months.

It is not cheap to do, so make sure you have plenty of available funds to make a go of this unless you plan to work while traveling.

I see no reason why this won't work for you with some pre-planning.

Have a great time.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/13 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sent You a PM

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

ependydad

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/13 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For my work, I work full time from home. We've talked about homeschooling daughter for a year while we tour the country. Our son is only 1 now, so he'd still be pretty little. I'd continue to work full time and hopefully finagle a compressed work week (4x10s with each Monday off for moving the camper by 200 miles).

For us, our intention is to move houses anyway - we were thinking of timing it so that we sold our house, put everything into storage, traveled for the year, then come back and stay at a campground while we found + bought a house.

Just a dream right now...

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion hitch
Nights Camped: 2013: 47, 2012: 52, 2011: 28
Learning to RV, mishaps and adventures - Towing Planner - Calculators + Estimators

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/13 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.familiesontheroad.com/

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2013: 18
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wishbone51 wrote:

I don't really have any input that you're looking for, but as a kid, I moved around a lot. Looking back on my childhood, I wish that I was able to say "I've been friends with him since kindergarten." I was always the "new guy" in school, never really had any long term friends.. I've provided this stability for my kids. I wouldn't mind taking them on an extended vacation (did a 5-week, cross country last year), but not indefinitely, without a permanent location to call home.

Just my 2 cents.

I felt this way, too, when I was in middle school and high school. Kids that are younger than school age probably won't care as long as they're with their parents. Much as I've wanted to go FT, we didn't do it when the kids were in HS. Matter of fact, I had a rule--wherever we are when they hit 14 is where we stay until graduation.We moved a lot in our early days, but it worked out that we stayed in one place since 1992. I homeschooled my kids through middle school, and one in HS off and on due to learning difficulties. Being part of their school activities was very important to my kids in HS and I really didn't mind making sacrifices for them to do that. But in their elementary days, we traveled a lot during the school year because our days were pretty flexible.

OP, I don't know why you can't do this. If you have healthcare insurance in place, I see no reason not to pull up your stakes and go on caravan.

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

Wishbone51

Newberg, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/13 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chock Full o' Nuts wrote:

I felt this way, too, when I was in middle school and high school. Kids that are younger than school age probably won't care as long as they're with their parents. Much as I've wanted to go FT, we didn't do it when the kids were in HS. Matter of fact, I had a rule--wherever we are when they hit 14 is where we stay until graduation.We moved a lot in our early days, but it worked out that we stayed in one place since 1992. I homeschooled my kids through middle school, and one in HS off and on due to learning difficulties. Being part of their school activities was very important to my kids in HS and I really didn't mind making sacrifices for them to do that. But in their elementary days, we traveled a lot during the school year because our days were pretty flexible.

OP, I don't know why you can't do this. If you have healthcare insurance in place, I see no reason not to pull up your stakes and go on caravan.

I agree mostly with this statement... However, I had some really good friends from K-6 that I wish I still had.. Before school age, no problem.. I couldn't tell from the original post how old, nor how long they would be travelling.

Each person is different , and it could be that I just wanted what I didn't have. Isn't it always that way?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Full-Time RVing with Kids?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS