Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Tent camping in Alaska
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Tent camping in Alaska

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
gypsy1997

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/13 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to take the Lake Superior Circle Tour in Ontario in August, and am wondering about places to tent camp. The provincial parks seem to charge an outrageous fee for camping, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of small, basic, independently owned campgrounds along that Circle that are reasonable. I'm driving from CA to NY and back over a 3 or 4 month period, and want to camp along the way because I like it as well as because it's generally cheaper. Any suggestions, experience, etc.?

gypsy97
Big Agnes tent

Rbertalotto

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/13 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent 5 weeks on a motocycle trip from Montana to the top of Alaska. Tent camping every night. You can camp just about anywhere you want up there. Pull off the road and camp.

Bears freaked me out a number of times. Dropping a few yards for the tents some mornings!

A couple of places they wouldn't let us tent because of bear activity....Haul Road and Denali area.

Great rip...Take your time...Smell the roses!

RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2006 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
1998 Palomino Bronco

gypsy1997

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/13 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For some reason my post is showing up in Tent Camping-Alaska, where I thought I was posting it in Tent Camping. I'm going to be in Ontario and I'm not sure how their camping regs compare to the other provinces. I'd like to move this post but would probably lose it in the process.

Tripalot

Golden Horseshoe, Ont. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/13 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are absolutely correct - Ontario Prov. Parks are expensive. You might want to Google some of the towns that you will be passing through and see if they offer commmunity run campgrounds. Also check on rvparkreviews to see if any alternatives are listed.

There is a Passport America park at Marathon which is on your route and might work for you.

Have you contacted Ontario Tourism (800-668-2746) and requested a camping guide.
You should also be able to pick this up when you cross the border and come to an Ontario tourist bureau.

The scenery along your route is fantastic - enjoy your trip.

2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
Fiat Abarth, fast little car, great gas mileage - hardly know its there
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

gypsy1997

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/13 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Tripalot, just the kind of response I was hoping to hear. I've made a list of the towns along the way and will start researching them.

jdog

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/13 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rbertalotto wrote:

I spent 5 weeks on a motocycle trip from Montana to the top of Alaska. Tent camping every night. You can camp just about anywhere you want up there. Pull off the road and camp.

Bears freaked me out a number of times. Dropping a few yards for the tents some mornings!

A couple of places they wouldn't let us tent because of bear activity....Haul Road and Denali area.

The Bears need to eat too. A human is very tasty for a Grizzly and there are plenty of bears up there.

Retired andLoveIt

Charles City, Ia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/13 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdog wrote:

Rbertalotto wrote:

The Bears need to eat too. A human is very tasty for a Grizzly and there are plenty of bears up there.

That's why they call motorcycle campers "Meals on Wheels" in Alaska. I thought about doing that but that would be my biggest concern.

Randy & Dianne
2011 Ford Superduty F250 6.7 Lariat Crewcab
2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF30SK

FreeLanceing

Grand Haven Mi

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/13 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am working on a trip plan to ride my harley to Alaska and back. This is my biggest concern. I am alowed a big can of hornet spray to use as self defence against these monsters in Canada. I can handle the bugs, roads, rain, long days, no darkness, gas issues, etc, but the bears concern me. I would like to ride up and take the ferry back to Wa. Then take the Lewis and Clark trail back. I would budget 6 weeks maybe 8. I have the money set aside. Now I need to take the time and get together the courage. I would go alone, the way I always travel. Looking at next summer. We went with my family as a kid in 1971. I was 14. Dad and little brother are gone now. I want to do this as a reminder of the good times we had.

nimfacollins

Santa Fe Springs

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/13 02:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never been in Alaska but I am sure that will be a nice place to visit and have camping.

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/13 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have bears out here to in the Sierras, they just want your food & beer. My grandfather tent-camped on his Alaska trip, and he was 79 then. So connect the dots, people have been tent camping around bears for thousands of years.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Tent camping in Alaska
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS