Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Storage Theft
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Storage Theft

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Mvander

Barrie

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I grabbed the TT for the Canada day weekend and while setting up discovered my LCD t.v. was missing. I always keep it under the quilt on the rear slide bed while traveling to stop it from being damaged.

This was a poor start to the weekend and had me thinking about it most of the first night out. I told my wife that I did remember "visiting" the TT at the storage lot and thinking I forgot to lock it up.

Through the night we had some noisy neighbours and I woke up to close the back window of the tt which wouldn't close the last inch or so. Then I had my epifany. I didn't leave the door unlocked! The thief jimmied the small window open and reached over to unlock the emergency exit and got in that way, probably tripped over my t.v. grabbed it and exited through the man door.

My question is has any one had a similar experience at a storage lot? This lot really advertises there "seecurity". Electronic gate, video, barb wire, etc. I know if I read the fine print they likely arn;t responsible for anything but I'm going to speak to them today and hoped someone had some advice from a personal experience with regards to compensation. The value of the t.v. and the broken window arn't worth an insurance claim. I'm pretty sure we arn't going to continue using their service.

47 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD 5.0
2005 Trail cruiser 26C

dspencer

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry to hear about your theft but unfortunately that can happen at any storage lot. My dad and grandfather always said that locks and security is only for the honest thieves. If they want in bad enough there going to get in. Its truly sad but with today's society not uncommon.

BroncosFan

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Search the archives here, plenty stolen over the years in storage.

2oldman

Nashville TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mvander wrote:

My question is has any one had a similar experience at a storage lot?
Unfortunately it's a common tale around here.

clhamon

So. California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/13 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had someone use a steel concrete stake to hold the concrete forms on our Class C door a few months back. Totally destroyed the door, door jam and grab handle. The storage lot called to inform me our motor home had been broken into and in the same breath let me know they would cover everything. And they beefed up their security to try and keep it from happening again. We have both motor homes stored there and will keep them there now just because I know the owners will take care of any issues.

Frenchie & Kat
2002 Newmar Dutch Star
1997 Jeep TJ7
2009 Harley Ultra Custom

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were fortunate as while we had our TT for 3 years, about 2.5 of it was in some sort of storage. We never had anything stolen. At least nothing that we noticed missing.

It can happen in your driveway as well. If its gonna happen, it's gonna happen. You can hope to try and prevent it with different measures, but there is nothi g foolproof beyond sitting in it 24/7 with a shotgun across your lap. Lol

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2007 Toyota Yaris (Toad)

Mvander

Barrie

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I count my self lucky that there was no other point less damage like busted cabinets etc. I'm speaking with the head office now and demanding my rent back since I began storing there (3mths, $220) based on the fact that I didn't receive the secure storage I was promissed. We shall see what happens. I'm not too confident i'll get what I want.

2oldman

Nashville TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I ever have the misfortune of having to store my rig in a lot, I will remove everything of value and leave the door unlocked.

YnotTurbo

Waldorf Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not had stuff taken from me when I stored my rv in a lot,,, just a the rear window smashed out. Not sure if someone backed into my spare tire and flexed the back of the RV causing the window to break or someone being stupid. The sad part about it was it happened on Andrews AFB... Sorry for your loss.

Navy Chief (Ret.)Still working. 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie w/6.7 High Output, 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/YnotTurbo/2012RamCamper.jpg

grandpalarry

Fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/13 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lived in a moble home park for a number of years that had a storage lot (Just a big gravel lot) and they allowed us to store our rig there with the others.
One year someone broke into two of the units and took thier batterys.
The park had told us up front storage was at our own risk, but the park replaced the 4 batterys.
They put in a chain link fence with barbed wire across the top, but within a month more breakins occured, so they raised the fence and started charging $25 a month, didn't help, so the maint. guys took turns patroling the lot at night, still didn't work so the park said "Park at your own risk" they were done.
It dosen't matter wheather your in a commercial storage lot or on the street, if someone wants drugs bad enough "Color it gone".

I don’t need anger management-I just need people to stop pissing me off.
Vancouver, WA
2006 Holiday Rambler DP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Storage Theft
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: