Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Will camprgounds ever fit hospitality standards?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Will camprgounds ever fit hospitality standards?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
NurseBetty

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/13 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking about this as we traveled on our annual vacation...so many times you pull into a campground and are confronted with a multitude of signs telling you what you Can't Do...as opposed to a warm, welcoming feeling. You feel as if you are imposing on a distant relative, and paying them to boot.
We have been spending a little more time in hotel rooms the past year and the hospitality shown there far outweighs what you get at a campground (customer service, etc). I know you pay more for a room. But I think it's about time the campground industry thought of itself as the hospitality industry and treated its customers appropriately.
Granted, there have been some that have done just that. But they are rare. Just my two cents.

2009 Keystone Mountaineer 332PHT
'10 Chevy 3500HD Dually Duramax/Allison Crew Cab 4X4
Adventures In Camping

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/13 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think many of the private owned campgrounds are being managed by hired help who really don't care all that much if you're happy so long as you pay your fee and follow the rules and don't complain.
but most seem to be kind of in-between indifferent and over the top.
the state and national campgrounds are better because most (not all) the camp hosts are friendly; some are too friendly for my taste.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
( Sometimes ) BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
M&G aux brake system
Datastorm 3990
854 watts of solar power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/13 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So are you looking for..fresh towels, room service?? I am glad they have a list of rules and wish they were all enforced. Have never gotten the feeling I was imposing and I have often been greeted by the owner/manager on my way out and thanked and asked to return when in the area. Several of the owners have become our friends and we exchange cards and e-mails often...

B.O.

2011 Big Country 3250TS...2010 Ram CC Laramie 4wd Cummins

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/13 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have stayed in commercial campground all over the country. Never had the same experience as the OP. All c/g's have been very welcoming and accommodating. Maybe it's just the campgrounds we select. But we have been in all different levels of ratings. Some we pull into and decide they are NOT for us. Maybe not the best groomed or well kept. But I really cannot think of any that had so many posted signs, or unfriendly personnel.

Just me...I guess.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/13 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know what the OP is talking about. If the first thing that hits you is a bunch of rules telling you what you can't do then it just isn't very welcoming.
Rules are fine when posted on the back of the CG map but a billboard or some other in-your-face posting just isn't inviting.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/13 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ran into many very inconsiderate and rude campers but have never been to any campground where management or help was anything but professional and welcoming. A lot of the response one gets KIA a direct result of the patrons attitude. I have seen this on several occasions.

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
Equal-i-zer WD hitch system

doxiemom11

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/13 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are campground hosts, and the level of our friendliness also is based on how the incoming camper acts when they arrive. Are they all business, not interested in chatting, stick to themselves and never wave or talk to you. Some people are very friendly, and that is the treatment they get back from us. We try with the other folks, but it can be ackward to try having a conversation and the campers just look at you. Oh well...... as far as signs, you mean you actually read them! You wouldn't think anyone reads them as so many break most rules. If common sense prevailed, those signs wouldn't be necessary. As it is, they have to be posted so they can be referred to. If we do need to speak to someone about a rule being broken, the first thing out of there mouth is "show me where it says that". So -- if there is a sign, we can show them.

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/13 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't run into that problem and I full time. I guess we all find that which we seek. Between government parks and small mom and pop parks, I've felt welcomed. Guess I've been lucky.

RVn Full-time

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/13 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vulcaneer wrote:

We have stayed in commercial campground all over the country. Never had the same experience as the OP. All c/g's have been very welcoming and accommodating. Maybe it's just the campgrounds we select. But we have been in all different levels of ratings. Some we pull into and decide they are NOT for us. Maybe not the best groomed or well kept. But I really cannot think of any that had so many posted signs, or unfriendly personnel.Just me...I guess.

Well said.

X2!

"Live life like it's your last day.
One day you will be right."

bertnspike

e central fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/13 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't enforce rules if they aren't posted prominently for all to see. I see no reason to take it personally; there are a lot of jerks out there. There are rules in hotel rooms too, and they are prominently posted. The difference? Hotels can put the rules on small cards in each room. The campground owners don't have that option, but many of them only post them in the office and/or club house pool area and on the back of the campground map.

Heck, ya' gotta have rules and they're no good if nobody knows what they are.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Will camprgounds ever fit hospitality standards?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS