Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Too many kids?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Too many kids?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
el.jefe

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/13 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think this is funny - not ranting, just sharing

We have a seasonal right next to 2 other families who are friends. Out of this little clump of 4 sites that are kind of together, we have 3 of them. We are very "communal" in that everyone's site is kind of part of everyone elses, one fire pit, shared toys, etc. Between the 3 families we have 12 kids, and 8 of them are 4 and under.

Last weekend somebody pulled into the open site connected to ours, backed in the trailer and plugged the power into the pedestal. They got out and looked around at all our kids running around playing (and we didn't even have the bounce house set up yet). They talked for about 10 minutes without setting anything else up, then one walked back to the pedestal to unplug. One of our group said, "we didn't scare you away, did we?" "No," he said. "Somebody in our group isn't feeling well."

Riiiiiight
They pulled out, drove around the campground, and backed into a spot 2 sites down on the other side of a big fifth wheel Must be a lap around the campground made them feel all better

Seriously, If I didn't have all those kids (5 of those are mine) and pulled in next to that and there was an opening elsewhere, can't say I wouldn't do the same thing. Hanging with us isn't for wimps

2011 Jayco X18D
2003 GMC Safari
Room for me, the wife, and the 5 kids

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/13 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it's good that you can see the humor of it and also understand that a herd of kids isn't everybody's idea of fun.
when our family gets together it's the same as yours, but since they're all "ours" we like it just fine.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
( Sometimes ) BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
M&G aux brake system
Datastorm 3990
854 watts of solar power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/13 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, that would have been me.
Not saying that you and your group and your 12 kids don't have every right to be there and to do what you were doing.
But, it's also my right to not be part of it and to politely move...just what they did.

win win for everyone.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

farmerbillswife

Beautiful Upstate NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/13 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hahaha I love it--I have 5 of my own kids and usually we always have a couple extra to boot. Plus all the neighbor kids that my kids are friends with. Thankfully we are right on the "frontline" across from all the activity fields etc.. Glad you took it with a grain of salt.

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/13 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daughter has 6 kids. She wonders why I only make short visits.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/13 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it was handled gracefully. We all have different ideas of what we want in a camping experience. If they didn't think that particular spot was what they were looking for, it's nice that they moved on, rather than everyone being irritated all weekend.

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

el.jefe

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/13 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

raindove wrote:

I think it was handled gracefully. We all have different ideas of what we want in a camping experience. If they didn't think that particular spot was what they were looking for, it's nice that they moved on, rather than everyone being irritated all weekend.

Agree. Better for them and us. Maybe the funniest thing was that I saw them driving around the CG looking at sites, trying to find one they liked. At the time, I was on the site with just my youngest, all the other kids were off playing at the park. In the time it took them to go to the office and register which one they wanted, all the rest of the kids came back. What a surprise that must have been Though to be fair, the large collection of bikes and ride on toys should have been a pretty good clue.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/13 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's exactly the way such things should be handled...the newest folks should gracefully give way to those who were there first.

As for me: I love to camp near families with children, even when my own Grandkids aren't with me. Watching kids have a good time camping is great entertainment as far as I'm concerned....and the more kids, the merrier!

I do have a sort of weasely "Grandma trick", though. I always keep a bunch of Dollar-Store glow sticks in the trailer and pass them out to the "neighboring" kids as a sort of good-behavior bribe. They're always tickled pink and I never have any problems with misbehaviors at/near my site.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

PenMan

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/13 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're going camping with 65 of our closest friends (the truth) this week and about 25 of them are kids. I can hardly wait (serious). If I did not know them it might be a different feeling but I usually enjoy watching others and kids are fun to watch. Don't worry. You won't be camping next to us since we will be on private land.

Chris and Jane and two boys (and a DDIL) who prefer tents
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/13 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROFLOL. Gives you a little insight into an altered colloquial adage, "there but for me, go I." They did good. I can reasonably predict that blessed with a long life, your time will come.

RVn Full-time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Too many kids?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS