Woodalls Open Roads Forum: I really miss camping but don't know if I can do it alone
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> I really miss camping but don't know if I can do it alone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Dianne and Tom

New Bern,NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/13 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lost my husband last year to brain cancer.We had a 2010 Carriage Cameo that was to be our last rv as we looked long and hard for it and it was the "perfect one" for us. Unfortunately we were only able to use it a little over a year and a half. I wanted to sell it and buy a small class C that I could handle but he would not even discuss it. If he couldn't have the Carriage he wanted nothing. I was lucky to be able to sell the rv and truck to the same person who planned to full time in it. I miss camping but due to spinal fusion and double knee replacement that didn't do well i'm not sure if I'm physically able to handle the set up. My late hubby said that due to my bad back he didn't think I could handle the heavy power cord or even the sewer hookup. Anyone have any ideas to how I could get back into camping??

2006 Chevy 2500 Duramax
2010 Cameo 35SB3

USAFBILL

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/13 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rent a Class C and give it a try, the only way you will know.

Good Luck

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/13 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would try a Class B for a rental and see how that works out for you. When I was driving school bus we had a woman who had a similar experience with a new 5th. wheel & truck. After her husband died she bought a 33'Class A to continue travelling alone at age 73. I have had the spinal fusion also and use a walker to hook up the sewer and water/electric. It works and I still enjoy getting out. I .appreciate having large tanks so I don't have to dump very often

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/13 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on the rent a Class C. I wouldn't buy one until you've rented one and you are confident that you can continue to camp.

I travel in a 21' TT and am able to do all the lifting and putting on the sway bars, etc and I ain't no spring chicken either! LOL

Then I say, go for it! You're capable and able to do anything you put your mind to!

P.S. Sorry for your loss.

WoodGlue

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/13 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you could handle a Class B. We met a retired female judge who traveled with her small dog in a Class B. Maybe go to a dealership and ask the salesperson to help you see if you can set it up.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/13 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ps.. so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/13 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice on the rental.

And keep in mind: There's nothing on a class C that requires anything but ordinary strength. I'd bet that even your husband had roadside assistance for more brutal jobs like tire changing. What you need is decent driving skills, common sense, and a sense of adventure. Sounds like you have all three, so why not go for it?

And if you need inspiration/moral support, there are lots of groups out there, many made up at least in part of women just like you who find themselves suddenly alone but still with a yen for the road.

Here's a link to one of the best known such groups- fun reading! Sisters On The Fly

Have fun!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/13 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all I am sorry for your loss, and while it is difficult sometimes we have to move forward into the life we want in the absence of the life we had and enjoyed so much… it is important for your own wellbeing…

A class B (maybe a C) would be nice and my choice when that time comes…

It takes some adjustment but if you truly miss and want to camp you will find a way… maybe you can team up with someone else in a similar situation… but if you do that make sure the responsibilities and cost sharing are all understood and in black and white…

Good luck, I know how hard it can be with limiting disabilities, but there are plenty of helpful people in the CG’s…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

blangen

South Dakota... and everywhere.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/13 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes... sorry for your loss. Been there, done that. Speaking for myself and, probably, most everyone else... if you pull in next to me and ask if I'll help hook up your utilities, it'll be done before you know what happened. C'mon out!

sele

illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/13 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blangen wrote:

Yes... sorry for your loss. Been there, done that. Speaking for myself and, probably, most everyone else... if you pull in next to me and ask if I'll help hook up your utilities, it'll be done before you know what happened. C'mon out!
sorry for the loss will good thoughts and prayers, we would help in a heartbeat. Try going local and take somebody along maybe a kid or grandkid. Good Luck.

scott

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> I really miss camping but don't know if I can do it alone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS