Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Charging extra on service for non-locally purchased RVs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Charging extra on service for non-locally purchased RVs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
memilanuk

Dry side of the Cascades

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/13 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Around here, at least one of the RV dealer/service places apparently has a policy of knocking ~10% off the cost of any parts and/or service work done on an RV *they* sell... and reminding the customer of that every time they ring you up if its one you bought private-party, etc. While I respect their right to price goods and services as they see fit, I'm getting a little tired of the 'rub-your-face-in-it' routine and am about ready to start driving further to another dealer for service and eat the cost of gas just because.

I'm curious... is this a 'normal' policy in most parts of the country?

TIA,

Monte

USAFBILL

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/13 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds fair to me.....his business and your choice .

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/13 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memilanuk wrote:

Around here, at least one of the RV dealer/service places apparently has a policy of knocking ~10% off the cost of any parts and/or service work done on an RV *they* sell... and reminding the customer of that every time they ring you up if its one you bought private-party, etc. While I respect their right to price goods and services as they see fit, I'm getting a little tired of the 'rub-your-face-in-it' routine and am about ready to start driving further to another dealer for service and eat the cost of gas just because.

I'm curious... is this a 'normal' policy in most parts of the country?

TIA,

Monte

Don't know how common that is across the country, but the dealer that we purchased from did give us 10% customer discount for buying my unit from them. Did I spend more money than if I went out of state? Nope, not when you factor in the 10%.

I bought locally, got a decent, (but not the best) deal and was treated very well. That is what I wanted rather than going two hundred miles or more away, just to save a few bucks initially.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/13 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got no problem with a dealer giving customers who bought from them a discount on future services. If they mention it in a nice way, then let it go. If it is an "in your face" comment then tell someone you don't appreciate it..

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2000 Hurricane 30Q

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/13 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm, no, I don't think I've ever seen an RV service shop that does that. Don't think its necessarily a bad policy, either, depending on the specifics of it.

By 'specifics', I mean this: Is their labor rate and parts pricing for everyone that doesn't buy from them 10% higher than the typical market rate, and right at market rate for their customers? Or, is it 10% BELOW market rate for their customers, and right at the average rate for those that don't buy from them? Should be easy to tell by comparing their shop labor rates and parts prices to other dealers around the area.

Bottom line: If they charge 10% more than what others charge just 'cause I didn't buy from them, then I won't be giving them much business. OTOH, if they charge about the same as others, and discount it 10% for their customers...I'd have no problem with their policy and would give them business, if they are close and convenient. I might even one day buy an RV from them, and start enjoying that 10% discount.

As to constantly 'rubbing it in your face' about the 10% discount: My answer would be, "..Well, thats all fine and dandy, but if you keep rubbing that 10% discount in my face, you will lose 100% of my business, 'cause I'll go somewhere else." If enough people say that (and start doing it), I bet they'll knock that routine off.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/13 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get the customer discount at my dealer.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/13 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the dealers I have purchased from offered discounts for their customers... they all were pretty much 10%....

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
08 Montego Bay
Here are my pictures

dspencer

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/13 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our dealer does it and i support it 1000%!!

rockportrocket

on hyway 77

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/13 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like he is overcharging everyone else 10% !!

memilanuk

Dry side of the Cascades

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/13 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like its not an uncommon policy, which I kind of half suspected. I understand that small local dealers have to find some leverage against customers who shop around and drive to the 'city' to get a better deal than the little guys can afford to offer. From that view, it's understandable. My frustration is more with the manner in which they express that to individuals who purchased older used RVs via private party - units that they don't/won't carry to begin with.

Any who, thanks for the info.

Monte

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Charging extra on service for non-locally purchased RVs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: