Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Samsung RF197 refer replacement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Samsung RF197 refer replacement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Cbones

New York

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/13 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am contemplating the switch from my Dometic to the Samsung RF197. I would like to hear from others who have already made the switch as to how they are holding up in the mh. I have heard from some that this model has been problematic. Additionally, since I would like to not add any more batteries (I have 4 T-105s), have you noticed an increased drain on the house batteries? Can you make it through the night without having the genny start?any other tips or suggestions will be appreciated. TIA

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/13 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had ours for over a year and are very happy with it. It sat through last winter in -20° temps and this spring it still worked fine. Have at least 5K road miles on it and soon will add another 2 or 3K. Power wise, we do a lot of dry camping and the only addition we made was a 535A solar system 2 years before we changed to residential. We still have the same 4 battery house battery bank we always had and with normal use of all electric, we only have to use the generator every 3rd or 4th day to top off the batteries. Just wish we had made the change earlier, as it is nice to go to bed and not worry if the smoke alarm is going to wake us in time.....

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

DrifterRV

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/13 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Samsung uses less power then the Dometic and runs just fine on a modified sine wave Inverter. We install ours two years ago with no issues.

Mike & Sharon

chezhead

Lake Wales, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/13 03:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made the exact switch as you propose over 9 months ago without adding batteries (I have the same amount as you). It's the best thing I've done to my RV! It takes less amps than the old Dometic. I only noticed a .2 voltage drop overnight.

Good luck, you'll wonder why you didn't do this earlier!

Mark & Cheryl
2008 Bounder 36D
2013 GMC Terrain Toad

chili's trip

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/13 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrifterRV wrote:

The Samsung uses less power then the Dometic and runs just fine on a modified sine wave Inverter. We install ours two years ago with no issues.

Less battery power than the Dometic running on propane?! Good luck!
Jack H

2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

demoon

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/13 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish everyone the best with their Samsung fridge. We have one in the home base and when a problem developed, Samsung service is a joke. You get to talk to a customer service rep who is very pleasant - that is the end. They tell you they will contact "dispatch" to send out a tech. First time that actually happened and we were given a window of when they would arrive. The tech called, not on the day scheduled, to say they would arrive between 2:00 & 5:00. We were not home and could not get home by that time. They indicated they would call "dispatch" to have them reschedule. Nope, never happened. Called Samsung back and a very nice lady apologized and asked me to hold while she contacted "dispatch". She came back on and said she had to leave them a message and that they would call me. That was a week ago.

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/13 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

demon.....I doubt that you're dealing with a Samsung owned/operated repair facility. Yes, you will call Samsung and they will connect you to a local/authorized repair facility. The repair facility which can be John's Auto repair or George's used appliances is the one you're having difficulty with, not Samsung. Ask Samsung to select another repair facility.

It's like saying all Chevrolet's are junk because you had a bad experience with a dealership.

Even if the Samsungs have a 1%-3% problem rate, they're still head and shoulders above a Norcold. I can buy three Samsungs for the price of a Norcold.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
450 Cummins
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ CrewCab 4WD
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE

Hoosier Cruiser

Anderson, Indiana, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/13 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I called Samsung for service on Thursday morning, July 18th. I was told I would receive a call from the service company in 24 hours. I asked the name of the company and where they were located. We were at a rally over the weekend and did not receive a call. I called Samsung again and was told that the response should have been 24 to 48 business hours. I called the service firm and they were here Tuesday afternoon, July 23rd, because they only come to our community on Tuesday afternoons. They found I had not set the panel correctly. Here about 10 minutes. I cannot complain except for the information given by Samsung during the first call.

Hoosier Cruiser

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/13 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have friends with a Samsung, 4 T105's and a modified sine wave inverter. They have no problem with at least a day of no gen use let alone overnight. They have a single 80 watt older solar panel.

We have a 22 cubic foot whirlpool that we run on a sine wave inverter. We have 8 X T105's and 800 watts of solar. We run indefinetly as if we were plugged in to shore power. Having said that we often run the genny at meal times if we have extensive microwave, toaster or other heat generating appliance usage. You will NEVER regret switching to a residential.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

John S.

Valley of Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/13 01:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love mine. Wish I did it sooner.

John
2001 42' Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree 24 Painted
2001 Jeep Wrangler for 300k miles
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Susie and Dolly (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) now in our hearts and thoughts
Doodle a Black and Tan Cavalier