Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Homeless - safe to store propane/gas in car while sleeping?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless - safe to store propane/gas in car while sleeping?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
mileena

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/13 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, does anyone have advice?

I am homeless, and live and sleep in my car. I want to buy a propane or gas camping stove burner so I can boil water to make spaghetti, etc.

I am thinking of buying this one:

Camp Chef Explorer Camping Stove from Amazon

Is it safe to store propane or gasoline next to me while I am sleeping in the car? Should I get a carbon-monoxide detector to mount in the car? There is no place I can store it outside at, and my self-storage facility is almost two hours away from where I live.

Thanks!

Also, where can I pull out my camping stove to cook, next to my car? Will any large parking lot or city street do?

Wishbone51

Newberg, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/13 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't believe that propane or gasoline generate carbon monoxide when sitting. Has to be burning. Pretty much too late for a detector at that point.

2000 Komfort M-24TS
2004 Nissan Titan

RVing plans currently on hold.. Recovering from a bad motorcycle accident.

mileena

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/13 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Wishbone51! I've read elsewhere that all propane tanks leak a little and that's why they have relief valves. So I am concerned by that. Is inhaling those fumes dangerous? I don't know.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/13 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileena wrote:

Hi, does anyone have advice? I am homeless, and live and sleep in my car. I.....

Although I feel for your situation, living in a car is not RV'ing. There are many shelters available to help you out with your situation. Sleeping in a car with a cans of gas and propane bottles is not really in your best interest nor anyone around you. Seek help, it's out there free for the taking. Good Luck.

"Live life like it's your last day.
One day you will be right."

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/13 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileena, I don't know where you are in CA but please do as rockhillmanor suggests and seek out a shelter. We have several in town that I'm sure could provide you with a safe place to sleep and eat. Take advantage of the help that's out there. Be safe!

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/13 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure to have some warm blankets if you need them, and leave a window open a little bit to get in fresh air all the time. THen you will not suffer from a possible leak. You can not run the heater or stove inside a enclosed vehicle, especially a car with highly flamible seat cusions.

The RV stove is different, permanate mounted to the cabinets, so it can not tip over, steel sides with a rating to not light the walls on fire, ect. and enough air space around the stove to prevent CO poision, because there is sufficient air to run the stove, even in the enclosed vehicle, providing there is a window and roof vent open.

Fred.

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/13 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hopefully you are looking for better living arrangements, and no it wouldn’t be safe to sleep in a car with gasoline or propane inside… both need to be stored in well ventilated areas… just sleeping in the car isn’t so safe but you gota do what you gota do… I will keep you and your safety in my thoughts and prayers… best wishes…

plus the larger propane tanks with the shut off valve for the stove burner you are looking at needs to be kept in it upright position, the last thing you want is for the liquid propane to enter the line…

in the mean time you should look into gear use by backpackers that requires less storage room, or something like the smaller Coleman fold and go 2 burner stove…

click

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/13 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of people do car camping. It is an accepted practice. Not much different in terms of vehicle type than a Class B except for size.

I wish the OP well. If you use the 1lb cylinders you will be fine. I haven't hear of any LP tank explosions on rvs lately or ever unless someone can point us in that direction. These cylinders are shipped in cardboard boxes, withstand banging around. Make sure their sealed and you'll be eating well.

Try here for more info. They also cover car conversions and camping.

Cheap Rv Living

Van Dwellers

Shelters are confining and can be dangerous. If you are out in the country, state parks, national parks, or city parks with camping you'll be fine.

Free Campgrounds

Good luck.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

mileena

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/13 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Be sure to have some warm blankets if you need them, and leave a window open a little bit to get in fresh air all the time. THen you will not suffer from a possible leak. You can not run the heater or stove inside a enclosed vehicle, especially a car with highly flamible seat cusions.

The RV stove is different, permanate mounted to the cabinets, so it can not tip over, steel sides with a rating to not light the walls on fire, ect. and enough air space around the stove to prevent CO poision, because there is sufficient air to run the stove, even in the enclosed vehicle, providing there is a window and roof vent open.

Fred.

Thanks Fred! I appreciate how you explained how RV stoves are different.

The one thing that I don't want to do is sleep with windows open in my van. I snore; and I've been told that I snore loudly. So windows open mean there is more chance of someone hearing me in car as I sleep at night and reporting it.

What I might do is store the propane tank in the front seat at night with the window cracked open a little, since my head is at the liftgate end of the van. I have a black shower curtain liner completely blocking off the front seats from the rear of the van so no one can see me.

mileena

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/13 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone here has been very nice. Thank you for that. I actually wouldn't mind being a true RV'er when I have more money and retire. Heck, I already have my license and registration in South Dakota, as they are known to welcome full-timers who have cut the cord! I appreciate that.

I have thought of a shelter, but they are bad in my area. Waiting lists, dangerous, no privacy, lots of rules (like in by 6 PM, out by 7 AM), have to get in line for a bed each night (not guaranteed), no storage of belongings, many are closed during the summer, and they are often located in a bad area. In other words, shelters suck. I'd rather live in my van, on my own, like I am used to, with complete privacy and freedom. Not that I am disrespecting the homeless, but I also don't want to associate myself with them. I am used to living in a house or apartment, have a car, am well educated and intelligent (went to a Ph.D. program at Penn for two years, and did a year at law school at BU), work hard, and have almost a $1,000 a month income from SSDI/SSI. I don't want other homeless people to drag me down.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless - safe to store propane/gas in car while sleeping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS