Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Camping to Tournaments and other Events
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Camping to Tournaments and other Events

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
KFS

Buckeye State

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/13 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone else camp to sport and other events? As a means of lodging rather than a destination?

We just traveled to a two day soccer tournament. I figure our total cost including towing, cost of campground, and one meal out (versus 6-7 had we stayed in a hotel) came to about 1/3 of what we would have paid in a hotel.

I have friends who tease (good naturedly) about how they don't "do" camping - only hotels. Honestly I find hotels more taxing (no pun intended). Having to remember to pack every little thing in our luggage, strange beds, takeout, etc. even the nicest hotels just wear me out.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/13 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always try to use the RV for any out of town stay. Anytime you do the cost comparison the RV will come out cheaper unless you have a breakdown and need to pay for repairs of some sort.

I like having my own bed and a kitchen to cook in rather than hotel and restaurant food. Even travelling for work, I will take the RV unless it's a quick turnaround trip.

CentralCoastCampers

Central Coast, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/13 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do at NASCAR every year, along with thousands of others. I also have used our trailer when traveling for training at work. I prefer it to hotels and eating out, and the department likes it because rates at most campgrounds/rv resorts is less than the govt. rate at the hotels. I turn in my grocery receipts (sans alcohol) for the meal reimbursement. They also pay mileage, though it doesn't really cover the fuel costs. Small price to pay for benefit of having my own bed and eating good meals. Most of the time the classes are within 500 miles, so it's not like I'm going across country.

'05 Keystone Challenger 34 TBH 5th wheel MOR/ryde SRE/4000, Dexter wet bolt kit
'05 HD Dodge 3500 DRW extended cab CTD, 4X4, 4:10 gears
Mike & Shannon
Son Kasey & Daughter Lindsay
Alaskan Klee Kai - Kade
Golden Retriver - JD (Just Dog)

Rbertalotto

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/13 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my truck camper just to use at Cowboy Action Shooting Events.......These are three and four day events. I save well over $400 at each event......And I like camping!

RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2006 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
1998 Palomino Bronco

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/13 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When RVing with our kids when they were younger, it was nearly all camping. Now that 2 are in college and the other 2 are juniors and seniors in HS, they don't RV with us nearly as often. We routinely find ourselves using our rig to attend a variety of events with camping now dropping to about a third of total yearly use. I don't have anything against staying in a good hotel as I do quite often on business, but it just seems we have a better and more abundant time together when we use the RV in lieu of a hotel room. We still enjoy the regional cuisine and only plan/pack for a single daily meal to be prepared in our rig's galley. If at all possible, we prefer to stay at national, state, county, and COE parks within an hours drive of the event we're attending, allowing us to kill two birds with a single stone as the saying goes.

GA1dad

Upstate South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/13 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newbie here,,,,

I am a BBQ Judge and we always tie in a camping trip with the cook-offs. Then it's more of a family event than just me going off somewhere.

s1214

Vt

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/13 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sometimes work out of town for as much as 2 weeks at a time. The camper is the only way to go since some of the locales have no other lodging available.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Camping to Tournaments and other Events
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS