Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: What constitutes proper dog walking?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What constitutes proper dog walking?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
bertnspike

e central fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/13 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm curious, having read some comments about walking dogs to poop in front of a site...

When I take my dog for a walk in a park with paved roads bordered by grassy sites I encourage my dog walk on the edge of the grass. The pavement is sometimes very hot! Usually we get to the open area meant for her to use, but occasionally it happens on the way, along the edge of the road, in the grass.

It's not deliberate OR nasty on my part; when ya' gotta go, ya' gotta go. I ALWAYS pick it up. Always. If someone is outside at the site I'll apologize. It never occurred to me before that someone may have thought I was just being a selfish pig.

Folks who don't own pets: you DO know that most of them don't poop on command, right?

Anyway, do you think there's a better way to handle the situation? Sites next to a dog run are not always available.

slickest1

canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/13 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year when parked at my sons place, when I walked my 2 dogs I carried a shovel. I had them pooping on the shovel. If I could just get them to do it into a bag!

2000 H.R. Imperial 38wds rr8r roadmaster, isc 350 cummins
2007 Chevy Trailblazer, Blue ox towbar
Ready Brake with breakaway.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/13 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can sometimes get the dog to hold it when he starts, but in some cases when he has to go he has to go. If somebody doesn't like it and thinks I'm a selfish pig then I'd say who cares? They can think what they want, doesn't make them right.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

Aridon

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/13 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pick it up and never have had anyone say anything. If they did I'd simply treat them like any other random idiot that crosses paths with you.

2014.5 DRV Atlanta

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/13 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use a 6ft leash, not a retractable, or longer lead, and pick up the poop. If no bag, the bags are a mere 40ft back at the camper. We walk the beast back to the camper and head back down with a bag, or three. Labs are poop machines.

2008 Starcraft Travelstar Sport 21RBH
2008 Chevy Trailblazer V8 3.42/ 2004 k2500 Suburban LT 6.0, 3.73, g80 locker, center buckets, and sunroof.
Me, DW, dd08, dd12, 88lb black lab!

Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/13 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you are handling it just right. If you pick it up I just don't see why anybody would complain. I do like those private parks that have pet only areas and no pet areas. Then there is never a problem.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2011 Keystone 23rks Hideout to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/13 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although a dog lover, I full time today and currently elect to not have one. From my perspective, you appear to be such a conscientious owner that I'm not tracking poop into the truck or the house. No harm/no foul. Keep up the good work. Of course I'm amazed at how many folks I've seen with those 25' retractable leashes who allow their dog to "whiz" on the FW spigot at an unoccupied site. A good blast of bleach and water from a spray bottle is my S.O.P. prior to connecting to any hose bib today.

RVn Full-time

noe-place

Somerset, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/13 01:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doggie makes the deposit and I make the withdrawl.

TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/13 01:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stayed in a park that required your dogs to be able to fly. The park rules said for dogs to only be in the designated dog areas so I am out there walking out dog on a 6 foot leash with poop bags in my pocket and the park manager starts in on how I can only have the dog in the designated dog areas and when I explained that I was walking to that area he informed me that dogs were not allowed anywhere else period, When I asked him how I was to get my dog to that area he told me that was my problem not his. Left the next day since I could not get the dog to fly.

Tyrone & Gladys
26' 1986 Coachmen

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/13 03:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TyroneandGladys wrote:

I stayed in a park that required your dogs to be able to fly. The park rules said for dogs to only be in the designated dog areas so I am out there walking out dog on a 6 foot leash with poop bags in my pocket and the park manager starts in on how I can only have the dog in the designated dog areas and when I explained that I was walking to that area he informed me that dogs were not allowed anywhere else period, When I asked him how I was to get my dog to that area he told me that was my problem not his. Left the next day since I could not get the dog to fly.

Had something similar happen once.This particular campground had tame rabbits all over the place.I was walking to the designated dog area when a campground employee told me I could only walk my dog in the designated area.I informed her that we were in the site they assigned us and I had to walk through this area to get to the designated dog area.I also reminded her that we informed the campground we had a pet when we made the reservation.Needless to say we never returned to that campground again.While I agree you can't stop a dog from going,I think if you are headed to a specific area,it is a good idea to walk them by your side in a heel on the roadway and don't let them sniff along the way.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What constitutes proper dog walking?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS