Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: unnecessary idleing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> unnecessary idleing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next
robrose1

Yuma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/13 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people are just down right discourteous when he come to campground etiquette. This morning the guy next to me idled his motorhome for 20 minutes while he got ready to leave. This afternoon a big diesel pusher pulls in and runs the generator for 30 minutes while just sitting in the rig. The fumes were filling up my rig and I finally told him that he was killing us with fumes. No sorry or anything just I 'll shut it off when I hook up to shore power; Big Jerk. I hope he needs help later today cause I'm just gonna sit there.

Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/13 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't fix rude/stupid.

SCOMP225

Brownsburg,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/13 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aw ! Don't be like that. I usually Idle for 10 to 15 min before pulling out, I need air pressure and a little heat in the Engine. Now the genny is another story. I've never run my Genny in a campground for any reason. When I pull in I shut it off. 50 amp service isn't that far away.

Chuck
1992 American Eagle

jjjandrbaker

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/13 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't pretend to know what goes into "landing" a big rig, but the very first things I do are plug in the shore line and turn on the AC before I even think about unhitching or anything else. Is there a reason why big rigs would have to wait to plug in?

Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/13 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just picked up our first diesel class A this week. He was probably waiting for the engine temp to come up. I sat today when leaving and it took a good deal of time after being cold for 6 days. I wouldn't move a expensive rig like that until the needle started moving either. Also the engines on some pushers need to be on to bring the slides in and jacks up. Full voltage is needed. My slides won't come in with the engine off.

Besides the newer diesel engines burn with practically no smell.

Pop-Pop C

N Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/13 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was advised by the dealer to have the engine running and shore power
To put out the slides. They are big and take a lot of power.

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/13 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a DP in KY the other day. Run his rig for over a half hour in the morning. His rig engine would be plenty warm by time he hit I65, from the CG.

Your DP engine will warm up faster on the move than sitting still and annoying everyone.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/13 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et2 wrote:

Just picked up our first diesel class A this week. He was probably waiting for the engine temp to come up. I sat today when leaving and it took a good deal of time after being cold for 6 days. I wouldn't move a expensive rig like that until the needle started moving either.
Besides the newer diesel engines burn with practically no smell.

I don't get that. Why does anyone need to sit and wait for the temp to come up. Air yes Temp no. Pull out at idle and get some temp while leaving the park. But no need to wait for temp to come up nor does any Diesel Mfg. recommend it. You have much to learn about the Diesel engine.

93 Airstream 35' Dp
5.9 230 uprated to 300 HP
Allison MD 3060
Shadow 12 yr old Golden Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles (fur Bearing Children) Duchess my Golden daddys little girl at the Rainbow bridge since 4/12

tkcas01

Roaming Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/13 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pop-Pop C wrote:

Was advised by the dealer to have the engine running and shore power
To put out the slides. They are big and take a lot of power.

I think the dealer did not know much. The slides are DC and operate off the batteries. Further, on mine you CANNOT operate the slides with the engine running - this is to prevent some passenger from extending them while going down the road!

I have never needed other than battery power to operate my 3 slides over the last 8 years. Maybe living on borrowed time!

Roaming Full Timer
2004 Monaco Diplomat DST
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/13 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have run the generator in full hookup campgrounds just once or twice it was because the shore power was having issues and it was hot and wanted to run AC

Tyrone & Gladys
26' 1986 Coachmen

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> unnecessary idleing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: