Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: No Privacy?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> No Privacy?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
AprilWhine

Somewhere west of Laramie

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/13 02:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't normally use the campground showers, but today my friend and I went to the bath house to do hair highlights. While we were both in the shower, a woman with a boy who appeared to be about 12 came in.

I was behind my shower curtain, but they barged in on my friend while she was drying. Startled to say the least, she heard the woman mumble that the boy needed help.

As I was drying off, they both came by my stall and the boy was staring at me. I saw no sign that he couldn't bath himself. He didn't sound mentally incapable while talking to the woman, and didn't show any physical disabilities.

I will not be using the campground bath houses again if there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. With my military background, I'm use to gang showers but a half grown boy is not something I want to see in the showers!

Is this common? Are parents taking the opposite sex offspring into public showers now?

1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2011 Ford Ranger
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2008 Mini Clubman
Pick one

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/13 03:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our travels that would be a very unusual happening. Never happened to us.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

Mr.Beebo

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/13 04:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campground Host, ASAP.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/13 05:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just because he didn't appear to have a disability, doesn't mean he did not. Also, maybe his mother saw someone, 'shady' in the men's bathroom, and didn't trust the boy to go alone. Personally, I may have been upset if I was waiting to use the shower, and you were dying your hair!

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/13 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, you can't assume what their problem might have been. 12 sure is older but there had to be a good reason she brought him in. I never had this happen but I am sure it startled your friend. In that short span, just because 'you didn't see it' that boy could have many problems that his parent had to deal with.

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/13 05:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On more than one occasion I have run into over protective mothers that do not seem to want to let go. They are dragging their sons into public women's bathrooms at ages up to 12. I think, around that age, the boys start to break free and I have not seen one older than that, yet, unless there was an obvious need.

2008 Ford F250 diesel
2013 Keystone Sprinter 277RLS

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/13 05:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In any case it seems reasonable for the mother to first go into the ladies bath house alone to see if it was ok to bring the boy in.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/13 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenbear wrote:

In any case it seems reasonable for the mother to first go into the ladies bath house alone to see if it was ok to bring the boy in.

Agreed. And if she HAD to take him in there, knowing there were women undressed using the shower, I would expect her to "shield" his view somehow, or at least make an effort to. No matter what his mental state/capacity, I would not want him taking long looks at the shower area...

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

KFS

Buckeye State

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/13 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make that accompanying two modest 13 year old girls to the showers only to find a boy who appeared to be their age joining his female family members in the bathhouse (curtains only, no doors).

We left. My daughter and her friend were mortified.

I have a son and understand it can be difficult to allow them to bathe alone if Dad/trusted adult male cannot accompany him but I don't think either gender should give up an expectation of privacy in bathing facilities.

Disabilities change the equation but I still don't think that supersedes my right to expect not to have myself - or my young daughter - bathing with males.

Solo dads have issues too. Imagine a father camping or out with young girls. I have had a bashful man ask me to take his young girls in because HE certainly can't - nor can two little girls be taken into the men's restroom and/or bathhouse.

Family restrooms and shower houses should be the wave of the future - when possible. Male, female and a third "family" option is great if space and budget allows.

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/13 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KFS wrote:

Family restrooms and shower houses should be the wave of the future - when possible. Male, female and a third "family" option is great if space and budget allows.

I have been in several campgrounds that are set up similar to this, and wish more would follow.

All had rows of "bathrooms" like you would find in a stick house - a room with toilet, sink and shower - and it's own solid locking door (some had exterior doors, some had doors that opened to a central room). Totally solves the privacy issue, and accompanying kids issue.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> No Privacy?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS