Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: School and camping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> School and camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many pull their kids from school for a few camping trips during the school schedule? Do you pull them out for alot of days? Or do you only try to work around school holidays etc.?

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always planned our campin' trips around school.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

workhardplayharder

Treasure Coast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Home school

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camp during the summer. Let the kids go to school when it is in session.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

doxiemom11

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/13 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some schools only allow a child to be gone a certain # of days for a family function with permission and homework assigned. The higher the grade in school, the less time they want the child to be out of school. We did it once and had to get permission and a signed agreement from each teacher (jr. high). If we didn't do this, any absence longer than the 3 days allowed would have started dropping his grades. It's generally not a good idea to take your child from school for any length of time - they miss too much and have to catch up. Vacations can be planned around school schedules. School and education should be #1 on the list of priorities.

Tothill

BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my kids were in elementary school I would often take them out of school for up to 3 weeks at a time. I generally planned it for times (such as the month of June) when very little educating occurs.

Not all of a child's education occurs within the 4 walls of a classroom.

We took the youngest two to England 10 years ago. 10 day trip where they missed well over a week of school. They learned more in that 10 days than they would have in school.

Low Tide Day in June. You would be amazed at what you can find at the seashore on the lowest tides of the year. The tides do not accommodate the school schedule.

Next year ds graduates and he will not be able to take time out of school. He has a very heavy workload. I am glad we did the overseas trips and low tide days when he was younger.

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/13 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This past spring, I went camping for a 5 day weekend in the State Park closest to my house (about 15 minutes). Daughter wanted to go but school hadn't let out yet. I let her and her girlfriend come with me and ran them to school each morning and went and picked them up each afternoon. Was only 3 days of two trips (10 minutes each way) and they really enjoyed it. Homework done first, then camping activities. Just a thought if you have somewhere very close to camp.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tothill, I sure agree that adventures/education can be sought while on trips

I have an 8 yr old. She is starting 3rd grade. I do take her out. I usually add days onto a school holiday so I can get a lengthy stay. I also fill out a paper stating it is an education reason she is being absent. (and yes I make sure something is learned)

I know thru all the school years to come she will be pulled from some school for trips.

OregonSVT

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

Some schools only allow a child to be gone a certain # of days for a family function with permission and homework assigned. The higher the grade in school, the less time they want the child to be out of school. We did it once and had to get permission and a signed agreement from each teacher (jr. high). If we didn't do this, any absence longer than the 3 days allowed would have started dropping his grades. It's generally not a good idea to take your child from school for any length of time - they miss too much and have to catch up. Vacations can be planned around school schedules. School and education should be #1 on the list of priorities.

Not sure I completely agree with this. I'm a new parent, so I haven't had to start dealing with this yet, but are you really that concerned with your kids grades in Jr. High, as long as they perform well? You had to get "permission" to take your kids out? I would think it would go down more like "Our family is going out of town for a week and we need to get the homework / reading assigments...". More of a statement then a question to the school, remember, they work for you.

I agree with a few other people on here that there is more to learn then can be taught in a classroom. Books can't teach everything, experience means a lot.

2012 Ford F-150 Raptor | 2007 Airstream Basecamp

hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/13 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In some states, school attendance has gotten stricter. Doctor's notes are required on any illness over 1 day or they can't make up work.

If there are 5 days of Unexcused, you have meet with school administration. After 10 days of Excused, you will still need to meet with the school.

We used to take our kids out early on Friday afternoon - just after lunch, so they would be counted for the day. Once we had all 6 pulled out before school ended to move across country. Another time, we pulled 5 of them out 2-days before the end of school so we could go to Disney World.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> School and camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts