Woodalls Open Roads Forum: How did you get into Rving or camping?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> How did you get into Rving or camping?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is being out in the woods some type of gene or in the blood, what is with camping?

* This post was edited 04/14/14 11:28pm by path1 *

popupcamping

Woodstock,N.B.

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember camping when I was a kid. Unsure how much we went but I think often enough. Stopped I think when I was 12 ish. Parents were making a decision of what to do next(cottage at a lake or in ground pool)roughly same price 10-12k
We picked the pool. lots of fun but unfortunately it is now filled in and the camp at the lake would now be worth well over 6 figures.

My brother 2 years older then purchased a trailer when he was in his mid 20's and I joined him a bit. Then it got sold and he hasn't been back.

I became closer friends with a guy I knew that did some carpentry work for us and he was camping so I decided to get back into it. So in 1997 I bought a huge tent one Friday and got all the stuff we needed and went to a CG close by.
Well........
After the 2 nights of the tent and being told I had to stay in the "other side"of the park where the tents go that Monday I bought a brand new popup.

Used it for 4 years till the family started and sold it.

Just got back into it in 2010 with my current pop up and will NEVER be without one from now on.

We love it.

hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/13 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the 60's, with a stay-at-home Mom, we rarely had money for vacation and motels. We went camping in Dad's WWII tent. First in Idaho, from E. WA and then when we moved to the wet side of WA, they bought a beach lot that we could camp at.

Later, after I married, we went in together and bought 5ac near WA/OR border not far from the Columbia River. Church activities included Father/Son camping trips. Boys camped in Boy Scouts, too.

Once we moved to GA, camping in a tent wasn't fun with 6 kids. We couldn't afford an RV for 8, so we eventually bought a TC after most were grown. That morphed into full timing in a 5th wheel.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grew into it..

Never did any overnight camping with folks but did a lot of picnicking out in the woods with family and friends.

As I grew older starting doing camping with cub scouts and church retreats.

Then as I came of age.......hunting trips with best friend & his Dad....that lead to many a night out in the woods with bare necessities.

Which became a regular event with just my friend and I in our late teens.

After getting out of NAVY got married. Introduced my city girl to camping trips up & down California.

Time marched on, life changed but the one constant was getting out and camping
Truck, truck/tent, truck w/shell & tent, truck with camper, motorcycle & tent, small trailer, larger trailer, small 5th wheel, larger 5th wheel...finally hit the road FT.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

mdamerell

Fort Wayne

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camped as kids in a pop up until Dad declared his idea of roughing it was a Holiday Inn.

Traveled for work while the kids were growing up but when the grandbaby came to live with us we needed an outlet for her to play with kids her own age and socialize. Face it all our friends are empty nest and are not full time parents again.

Joined a "resort" and tried cabins (too much like a hotel)but settled on the 5'r. Also allows us to travel with certain health issues we now have. It also solves my need "to go". After years on the road, I can only sit still for so long. Seems the grandbaby has it too. If you say camper, she'll yell "GO" until your in the truck and pulling out...

2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

rbrand

Victoria, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were married in the 60's we rent a TC for our Honeymoon and headed down the coast. My original degree was in Archaeology and we including my son, spent many a summers in a tent.

Now to have a shower right next to the bedroom is pure luxury.

The less you plan the more options you have.

GMC Sierra HD 2500 Duramax
Jayco Eagle 28l

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My family camped even before I came along. At 3 months old I was placed in a old metal ice chest (no lid) wrapped in army blankets. The ice chest was put between the seats of an old army jeep and the family (5 of us) went tent camping.

Yearly we would take a 2 week to 1 month trip across the US tent camping during the 50's and 60's. In the 70's we graduated to a series of homemade motorhomes/ van conversions and then to an 18ft TT.

It's not a gene but more of a passion.... My wife had never been camping. For our honeymoon after returning from a trip to Tahoe staying in hotels, she agreed to go to my favorite spot on the beach in Southern Califorina and spend the weekend in our pickup with a campershell (cap). She enjoyed it and we've been camping ever since. First in the campershell, then camper, TT, MHs and now our 5th wheel.

Her passion for camping (really it's Glamping) has really grown over the years, As I type this she is 150 miles away staying for 3 months south of San Diego in the 5th wheel. I work during the week and go visit her on the weekends.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/13 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbrand wrote:

Now to have a shower right next to the bedroom is pure luxury.

NO, it's not pure luxury, it's pure necessity.

edsland

naperville,illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/13 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tried it in a tent after the kids moved out, never had time while they where there. Son was huge into baseball through college daughter not so outdoorsie. Wife and I loved it but not so much on the ground. Went to popup for 3 years, now have a 27 foot tt with rear living area. We camp every other weekend. Funny thing is my daughter her husband and their 4 kids now love it and have their own tt.we meet up a couple times a year to camp together. Illinois vs wisconson homes.

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/13 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

both of us were raised in the country or spending a lot of time in the country.
picnics, camp outs, state parks.
then we grew up got married and put all that aside for a long time and finally came back to it about 15 years ago, but this time, we went to motorhome traveling so we could stay in state parks and forest campgrounds but not sleep on the ground or cook with a fire or put up with flies and mosquitoes, etc.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
( Sometimes ) BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
M&G aux brake system
Datastorm 3990
854 watts of solar power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> How did you get into Rving or camping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS