Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Refueling Along Rural Routes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Refueling Along Rural Routes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
DRSMPS

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/13 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This summer we've transitioned from travelling along major highways to some more rural roads. We find we really enjoy travelling these routes through many small towns. The scenery is much more interesting and there are plenty of places to stop and sight see.

The problem we are encountering is how to plan for refueling. Typically along highways there are many truck stops. At these, we have no issue pulling truck and trailer into a pump. However, along the rural roads the gas stations often are too tight to maneuver the rig through. I can travel approx. 5 hours on 1 tank, so I often find myself finding a place to unhitch and then bring the truck only to the gas station. This is doable, but adds extra time and work. I also don't like leaving the TT unhitched along a side road or a parking lot while I fuel - worried about theft or tickets.

I've been experimenting with mapquest and google maps to try and plan my routes. I find that using the Satellite image I can estimate the size of the gas station and determine if I can safely maneuver through it for refueling. I then program the address in my GMP and plan for these stops. I also find, although my truck is gas powered, if I search for gas stations that carry diesel they typically accommodate larger vehicles.

Does any manufacturer make a GPS which has this type of information already loaded into it? Are there websites out there or maps I can purchase that would make this easier?

Also, is there a way to determine overhead clearances along a route? I've only encountered this once, but a ran across an underpass that only had 12 feet of head clearance. Luckily I was paying attention, pulled over and detoured around it. It would be great to find this info out ahead of time.

Thanks for any feedback or input you may have.

kedanie

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/13 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps, it would be a good investment to look at some kind of auxiliary fuel tank.

Keith

Keith, Gloria & Charlie(Spoiled Rotten Boston Terrier)
2010 Damon Astoria 3470
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Viet Nam Veteran

I am still wayne_tw

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/13 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know, every gas station has tractor trailers that enter it to deliver gas. Perhaps you are more cautious than you need to be.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/13 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We often travel the back roads and primarily use the local fuel stations while traveling. Once in a while we will run across a station with a low canopy or tight maneuvering areas, but the majority of the time refueling is not an issue, and we don't worry about it. Maybe it's a little different in your part of the region.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/13 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried GasBuddy? I use the app, a LOT, it often shows a picture of the gas station and a description of services.

Of course it also shows who has the best prices so you can save a bunch too.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/13 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Garmin and Rand McNally GPS has fuel locations. They give distances in all directions.
We travel mostly federal highways(not interstates), primary state and some secondary state highways and find fuel not an issue.
Only problem we ran into was in Oklahoma where the station's Internet was down and would not take credit or debit cards. Cash only! That taught us a lesson to make sure we have sufficient cash for a tank of fuel.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/13 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might have to Waite for someone to move on occasion but if they can get the trailer in to make a delivery you have room to get in to fuel up.

bradnailer

Midland

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/13 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You also might consider filling up before necessary when you find a station that has large bays. If you are taking rural routes for the enjoyment, what's an extra stop or two along the way.

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/13 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In situations like that I generally have looked at a map prior to my day and have an idea where and how far potential fuel stops are. Once the fuel gauge breaks below the half tank mark I begin looking for a fuel stop that can accommodate my needs. Never really had an issue. Worst case you may end up stopping for fuel to top off more often but that is the sacrifice of seeing the less traveled areas.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/13 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bradnailer wrote:

You also might consider filling up before necessary when you find a station that has large bays. If you are taking rural routes for the enjoyment, what's an extra stop or two along the way.

Beat me to it. My sentiments exactly.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Refueling Along Rural Routes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS