Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: AAA towing insurense.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> AAA towing insurense.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
rivertrails

ozarks

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/13 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone use AAA Rec plus towing insurance? Good sames and Coach are the 2 talked about on here. AAA is the cheapest. It will tow up to a 100 miles to destination of your choice that Coach net does not have. You just get 4 service calls a year(camper trailer and truck just count as 1 call per incident} But I had never used them 4 times in a year in my normal towing insurance with them. It seems like the best choice to meat $120 A YEAR for their rv insurance option. Does anyone have any information on any reasons they would not be a good choice?

Dixiechick

Trussville, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/13 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CoachNet tows you to the nearest service center that can work on RVs, not just to the nearest center. If you break down on the road how will you determine where to have AAA tow you? I don't understand the 100 mile business. That does not apply to CoachNet and I don't think it applies to the Good Sam program either. I would not want to be limited to the number of calls/year just in case we have a bad year!

Cathy and Don, finally retired
Cats-Whiskers the Princess and Shadow the Baby
2008 Allegro Class A Open Road 32'

Dixiechick

Trussville, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/13 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CoachNet tows you to the nearest service center that can work on RVs, not just to the nearest center. If you break down on the road how will you determine where to have AAA tow you? I don't understand the 100 mile business. That does not apply to CoachNet and I don't think it applies to the Good Sam program either. I would not want to be limited to the number of calls/year just in case we have a bad year!

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/13 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Triple A sounds quite limited to me. If I were to stay within 100 miles of home it might be okay. But where I live, if AAA is called to tow a Class A, the local towing contractors will leave it sitting on the side of the road and drive back to the shop. How do it know this - well, because my son drove wrecker for a AAA contracted shop. If his wrecker was not big enough to tow it, or the flatbed not big enough to haul it, then the RV sat on the side of the road as a turn down. The RV's owners had to call the Buffalo NY Dispatch office and hope for the best that one of the 60 miles away contractors would drive all the way to do the job. When it comes to motorhomes and RVs, AAA if far from the best emergency road service in my book. Just how am I to know that other AAA regions are not like the region that services my area? I much prefer Coach Net and have found Coach Net to be the best ERS for recreational vehicles. That comes from a happy Coach Net customer! They have gone above and beyond what was required of them for me.

* This post was edited 08/20/13 02:45pm by wny_pat *

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

tomkaren13

West Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/13 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always tell people to watch out for AAA as they are very regional. Coverages can vary greatly from area to area. One area I lived in covered the vehicle only while in another area covered only the driver no matter what they were driving. Also asked how they handle a fifth TV, could not give a good answer.

TubaPete

Comstock Park, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/13 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The regional comments about AAA are accurate. I bought AAA RV insurance in Michigan. Once coming home I was stranded in Chicago. The AAA office there could not find someone to tow a fifth wheel. My unit would roll but had no brakes or lights. All they needed was a truck heavier than mine and stick on lights. They couldn't find anyone in Chicago with these.

Tuba Pete

bbaker2001

stockton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/13 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

after 41 yrs, just switched to Good Sam. AAA is to expensive, and when i called to add my 23' traier, they did tell me not everyone can tow it.
at 200 for the year vs 79, i wi try it.

BB from California

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/13 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had AAA RV when I had my Roadtrek 'B'. I had a radiator leak about 5 miles from home. No flatbed available and no tow truck that wouldn't drag the rear bumper on the ground. But they did fill up my radiator. Same folks who left me stranded in a car on the expressway because they couldn't find anybody that would come out at 11PM. They do, however, appear to know a great deal about maps.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/13 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I left AAA after being covered about 45 years. First their travel service was less than satisfactory and they didn't seem to care. Then the roadside service towed my son to safety between Vegas and LA, but they have 3hours to then come back and tow you to sevice. That made it after 5pm on Sat, so the car was stuck at Chevy till Mon before it could be looked at. I now have GoodSam.

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/13 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AAA is only available in segments of the country. Make sure you only break down where it is available. Coachnet, Good Sam, Allstate/KOA is coast to coast.

Personally I have ERS through my AMA membership for under $40 per year.
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/amaroadsideassistance

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> AAA towing insurense.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts