Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Fuel Pump Hogs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fuel Pump Hogs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
legolas

WNC

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/13 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try to get into Pilots, Flying J's etc when travelling long distance. Most of these places also sell food, snacks, t-shirts etc.....my pet peeve is the bozos who leave their vehicle at the pump after fueling so they can get coffee, go to the bathroom etc. I've had it happen everywhere from DC to to Arizona. Also, I wonder why the folks running the place don't post signs and make occasional announcements on the PA system. Just goes to show you can't fix stupid.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/13 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen a lot of stations now posting signs to leave your vehicle at the pumps until fuel is paid for. I agree that it is annoying but it protects the stations from drive offs.

When I travel in the US I'm usually forced to pay inside because the pumps won't accept my credit card without a zip code. I have to go in twice, once to authorize and again to finalize payment. This forces me to stay at the pump and prolongs the process. I do move it when possible before using other services, but I agree, most do not.

'07 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited
'06 Forest River Flagstaff 26BH(sold)
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
Hitched by Hensley, Viewed by McKesh

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/13 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You said it all, you can't fix stupid/rude.
Too many people have the 'it's all about me attitude' and don't care if they inconvenience anyone.

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/13 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We solved that issue by one pumps, the other pays and while payment is being made the unit is moved. Any shopping, pit stops, etc., are done after that point. Or, one pumps & pays while the other shops, pit stops, etc., the pumper moves the rig then does his/her thing.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

RognBon

Roseville, Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/13 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel your pain. I pulled into a station recently to fill up and there was a guy who was obviously finished at the pump just sitting in his car. He looked up and made eye contact with me but continued to sit there. Five minutes later his wife came out of the station and got into the passenger seat at which time he got out of the car and went inside the store. Another five minutes passed until he finally came back to the car and then he spent another five minutes chatting and looking at a map. Due to the layout of the station this was the only pump island I could get into to get fuel. I'm certain he did this just to aggravate me, which I believe is just another example of the "it's all about me" society we are evolving into.

RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

Tystevens

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/13 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, a lot of the pumps have a very low limit for debit cards (ie, $75, which only buys 3/4 of a tank or less these days), which somehow is higher if you pay inside. I don't know why this is, but sometimes I'll run inside and avoid having to run the card twice at the pump, especially if I need a refill or something.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2011 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 3.5 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD ccsb 4x4 LT, Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/13 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At a busy Flying J, we were waiting in line for fuel and a big class A in front of us was filling up their fresh water tank. Low water pressure at the Flying J meant it was half an hour sitting there in line to get fuel. We tried to make the most of it and joked "maybe they have a hot tub or swimming pool in there" ! Flying J needs to move the water and dump station away from the fuel pumps!

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

JamesBr

Manassas, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/13 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try my best to practice patience in my car since thats about the only time I head to the auto pumps. Even most of the time I dont even use the RV pumps if they are even availible for the RV. And when using the truck lanes I try to be as curtious as possible though even there I am sure there is a random upset trucker as I may not be moving fast enough for their liking. I will say pump start cards have helped that to some degree.

2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/13 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everytime this topic comes up I always wonder why do people keep using places that seem that have these problems. Usually the answer is access. If a tanker truck delivered to them don't you think you have enough room for your RV? Simple fix, don't go where the hogs are.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/13 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just encountered this at a gas station over the weekend. We were traveling home from NJ after a month long trip. We pulled into a BP that had all pumps full, so I pulled behing a guy that was easiest for me. I noticed there was no one in the driver's seat and there was no gas being pumped (fuel door closed, etc). I looked at the lane next to us and there are two empty cars next to us, again no gas being pumped. The guy in front of me comes out and fortunately pulled away quickly. The drivers of the other two cars eventually came out. The never pumped gas and were in no hurry to move along.

I still amazes me how rude some people can be.

-Michael

Michael Girardo :: michael@ecxc.com
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome with 2014 Honda CR-V Toad
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fuel Pump Hogs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS