Woodalls Open Roads Forum: GA State Parks charge fee for parking pass with campsite
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> GA State Parks charge fee for parking pass with campsite

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
SC camper

Upstate SC

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at a GA State Park back in July. I reserved 2 sites for 2 nights, in advance, through Reserve America. Put it on my credit card and credit card bill was paid on my July bill. My daughter and some friends stayed at one site and my wife and I stayed on the other. They arrived and set up their site before I arrived. When I got there to sign in, I was asked for my credit card to be put on record, "in case there was damage done, like a hotel room". I didnt agree with this policy but was just ready to get set up for the weekend. Well this months credit card bill came in and had a $5 charge from that park. I called to inquire about the charge and was told it was for a parking permit. I was told that it is a GA State Park policy that any vehicle entering the park must pay $5 for a permit, even for those paying for the site. I didnt question about why we only got charged for 1 permit since we had 2 sites and 2 vehicles. Didnt want next months bill to have another $5 charge. I had my TV and camper and my daughter had her suv and a tent. Does this sound correct or did they just rip me off for $5?

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds about right.

paulsang

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/13 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stayed at Skiddaway Island State park, and they were honest with me right up front. Sorry you were blind-sided. As for the extra vehicles, I have no insights.

In a very recent experience, Stone Mountain charged us for our toad as well. $10. Then we were given a pass for our car for the remainder of the visit. I don't understand why parks charge us for our cars when we are already paying to be there. But, I guess it is what it is, and that's the price of admission to play.

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is because we do not collectively complain about it and demand change. Indiana does the same thing. Michigan is even worse, I am told they charge for every time you go in or out of the gate with your toad. This is just so unreasonable. I don't think Vladimir Putin would do this to his people.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Revenue.....plain and simple

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Homer wrote:

It is because we do not collectively complain about it and demand change. Indiana does the same thing. Michigan is even worse, I am told they charge for every time you go in or out of the gate with your toad. This is just so unreasonable. I don't think Vladimir Putin would do this to his people.

Michigan does not charge each time you enter or leave. The Michigan state parks require a vehicle pass to enter. You can purchase a daily or annual pass and it is not included in the camping fee.

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/13 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some states charge a daily entrance fee on top of the camping fee, some its part of the camping fee, some charge a weekly entrance fee over the camping fee, some have no additional charge. It all depends on the state.

eabc5454

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/13 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's all about revenue. Virginia State Parks charge $5 per dog per night. We only take one of the four dogs at a time, but if we took more it would add up quickly.

2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

EsoxLucius

Eau Claire, WI

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A state park admission fee is rarely, if ever, associated with camping. It is an entrance fee entitling one to enjoy the amenities of the park, excluding camping. It usually is in the form of a vehicle sticker and can be for a day, week , month or year. Some states charge one admission fee for residents and non-residents, others charge non-residents more. 36 of the 50 states charge some kind of entrance fee to their state parks. In almost all cases camping fees are in addition to an entrance fee.

2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
500 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/AutoStop

EsoxLucius

Eau Claire, WI

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are there to enjoy the state park, camping or not, you are going to pay for the privilege. Its a use fee, either you pay, or Georgia's taxpayers will. In states that don't have entrance fees, you are paying with every purchase in that state if they have a sales tax.

Homer, hear say can get you killed. What a crock! You probably believe everything you read on the Internet too.

* This post was edited 08/29/13 04:17pm by EsoxLucius *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> GA State Parks charge fee for parking pass with campsite
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS