Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Pushy neighbor
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pushy neighbor

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/13 12:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camped in Sterling State Park, MI, last week. Upon arrival, we barely came to a stop in our pull through site and got out when I noticed a young boy pull up on his bike in the grass between our site and the site next to us. As we went about the business of setting up after our 7 hours on the road, he sat and stared at our trailer for a few minutes. My son and I talked about our jobs that we always do as I unlocked the various compartments, and as I returned to the truck to begin unhitching, now the kid is off his bike and hanging his head in the bed of my truck looking around, taking inventory.

I was somewhat taken aback at his lack of boundaries. He didn't even say "Hi", he just started asking if he could help. Not sure of his motives and not knowing him from Adam, I thanked him, but assured him we could handle it. I began to unhitch as my son started cranking down stabilizers and again he asked if he could help. 20 seconds had transpired since the last offer. Again, thanked him but said "we got this". Sewer hookup, same thing. Water hookup, ditto. I engaged him in some small talk but this only seemed to embolden him. After he followed us around like a lost duckling for five minutes or so, he began to pester my son about going bike riding and fishing. He apparently presumed we were new at this (RVing) and was determined that we needed his help in some way. We were all getting perturbed with his presence and I think he sensed it. At one point, he helped himself to a trip up our front steps and a long gaze inside the trailer (uninvited!). The only thing that stopped him from coming inside was my son standing in the way.

I was getting a little testy at his over-assertive nature when I told him politely but firmly, we need to get set up and eat supper and possibly then we could talk about other activities. He finally got the hint and peddled away. I was positive that we would be seeing him every time we went outside all weekend and was dreading the prospect of a ruined stay because of an overbearing neighbor who seemed to believe we were there solely to visit him.

As it turned out, we passed in close proximity several times over the weekend and he didn't even acknowledge our presence. I honestly believe he probably does this to virtually everybody who pulls in and likely forgets who he pestered and who he didn't. I don't think he even recognized us after that. The whole thing was very strange. I have never had anyone act like he did anywhere we've stayed previous. He reminded me of the neighbors my parents had for years who became so "friendly" and imposing, they were actually waiting at the patio door every day they came home.

I don't generally assume the worst about people until I know them a little and they confirm my suspicions. This kid was way over the line from the get-go. He may have been an only child. He may have been highly intelligent. He may have been bored and driving his Mom crazy. He may have been casing our stuff for an opportunity to steal. Plenty of possibilities, but none of them what we consider normal behavior. Anybody else ever have someone insert themselves into your camping trip like this? I'm not beyond bluntly telling someone to get lost, but sometimes the benefit of the doubt pushes my limits, especially when it's immediately obvious.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/13 03:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

even paranoids have real enemies.
bumpy

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/13 03:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How old was he? A young boy looks at the world different then an adult.

gatorcq

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/13 03:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that is why they are young boys. Try to remember when you were that age. I am sure we are pester someone the same way.

Or maybe it is we are getting too old and tend to forget how a 5 year old acts.
Me I will remember, Susan and I just completed 10 weeks with 2 five year old. Boy and girl and let me tell you the both were like night and day.

That could have been my granddaughter you were talking to.
Wanted to help all the time, and then lets go play.

Dale & Susan
DaGirls Rv - Della, Tilly & KoKo(rainbow bridge)
Alfa SeYa 2003, CAT 3126E 330Hp, 08 Jeep Liberty TOAD
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
940Ws MPPT 2800Ws Inv/Chg, 660AmpHour Bank
DaGirslRV Blog

loulou57

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/13 04:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first thought also would be, how old was he.

Both my grandsons age 10 & 11 could possibly have done the same thing. In their mind they would have been thinking neibourly, friendly, honestly trying to help. He probably ignored you the rest of the time because he might have thought you unfriendly. Maybe if you had talked to him and asked a few questions your assumptions would have been answered. We have often met some lovely families because their kids came over to see what we were all about. Just my opinion!

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/13 04:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was a kid, every kid in the neighborhood was given the same instructions. If the house had no children, stay off the property. No exceptions. If there were children, only when they were also out.
The child doesn't need training - his parents do.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

popupcamping

Woodstock,N.B.

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/13 04:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

How old was he? A young boy looks at the world different then an adult.

exactly. I don't think the OP actually thought the young boy was "casing the joint" seriously.

Paranoid much. He sounds like a perfectly fine little boy. I see kids like that all the time.

He obviously likes seeing trucks and trailers and mechanical stuff. Don't see the harm.

but terms like "uninvited" , motives, presumed we were new???,over assertive seem over the top for this young curious boy.

Good luck camping

popupcamping

Woodstock,N.B.

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/13 04:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loulou57 wrote:

My first thought also would be, how old was he.

Both my grandsons age 10 & 11 could possibly have done the same thing. In their mind they would have been thinking neibourly, friendly, honestly trying to help. He probably ignored you the rest of the time because he might have thought you unfriendly. Maybe if you had talked to him and asked a few questions your assumptions would have been answered. We have often met some lovely families because their kids came over to see what we were all about. Just my opinion!

my opinion as well and a very good one

maybe a Canadian thing

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/13 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seven years old. Everyone is different too. He doesn't see the need to approach life and strangers ad suspect and dangerous. The kid wanted to help and make friends. Wanted son to go riding etc with him.
In our neighborhood, whnever I was home everybody didn't ask for introductions etc. We simply gt together and went about biking and so forth. Everyone came to our house for koolaid and more than a few ate a snack from time to time. We ran around like wild Indians and our parents though nothing of a bunch of kids in their yards or asking for a drink of water. Of course the men worked and the wives were home taking care of the family and sometimes managing a half dozen thirsty kids, no theirs.
If he was in the way asking him to come back later is appropriate. A seven years old might need a couple of hints.

dan-nickie

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/13 05:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably just a kid being a kid...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pushy neighbor
Search:   Advanced Search