Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: RVing in the summer holiday's. HELP?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> RVing in the summer holiday's. HELP?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Mik68

Perth, Western Australia

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/13 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a question mainly to do with the school summer holidays in June/July/August & where we will be in our travels at this time period. We are 2 family's from Australia planning the mother of a trip around your beautiful country towing FW's and have 2 possible starting points leaving close to the beginning of April 2014 & heading in an anti clockwise direction. We have 6 to 7 months to complete a full circle & end up where we started.
The 1st being from LA, so our travels in this summer holiday period we will be heading up the East coast from Florida all the way to top of Maine (June/July) & across the North to Vancouver (July/August). The 2nd starting point from Dallas, Texas at same time so would be travelling in the summer holidays from around Maine across the North to Vancouver (June/July) & down the West coast in the month of August to LA.
So with a lot of people filling up the camp grounds in this period is there one of my scenario's that sounds better than the other in terms of avoiding the chaos & full camp grounds or maybe weather could also play a part in our decision?
We welcome any other suggestions to this situation you can offer.
Cheers Mik

amandasgramma

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/13 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow -- what an awesome trip!!!!! My advice for Oregon is to get reservation at state campgrounds. There are private RV parks, expensive, and not always available either. About January/February, go to the state campground webpages and make the reservations. They fill up fast on the Oregon coast.....

Have a great time!!!!

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/13 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Indiana, you can only make reservations at the state parks and state recreation areas 6 months out. On holiday, they are booked solid, very difficult to get in if you've not made reservations early.

Reservations are not needed anywhere between November and March, as almost all state parks and recreation areas are available, but no water anywhere and restrooms are closed up. But the rates are dirt cheep, and just drive on in.

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
Equal-i-zer WD hitch system

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/13 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

G'Day! Weekends and holidays are the only times where campsites are difficult to find, or in very popular areas like Yellowstone. Summer holidays include: Memorial Day (last Monday in May), 4th of July, Labor Day (1st Monday in Sept) you should have reservations. We usually make reservations at a commercial campground (like KOA) for holidays in non popular tourist areas to avoid crowds. Otherwise we travel during the week and arrive early in the day. We use www.woodalls.com to find campgrounds then use www.rvparkreviews.com to check reviews. Also www.recreation.gov lists all the US national parks, forest service and corps of engineers campgrounds. Any places you want to visit in the south I would go the earlier the better. It gets very hot in FL and TX after June. Enjoy your trip!

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/13 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wow what a trip. I can tell you the southeast gets very hot in the summer. That said we were just at disney in Orlando fl in August. It was crowded and hot but with a little planning and preparation it was completely do-able. As others have said holidays do book well in advance. Summer break from school does make for busier campgrounds so I would at least plan out some reservations in advance especially for more popular campgrounds. If you hit disney in fl, fort wilderness is a great campground but will definitely require reservations well in advance. Some good websites for checking out campgrounds are rvparkreviews.com and campgroundgallery.com. Most states and cities have online visitor websites that are great resources for checking out what each area has to offer and what times of the year offer better experiences. Have a safe and exciting trip!

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS - 5 nights camped
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/13 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mosey around sans reservations, mindful of the summer holidays; Memorial Day/July 4th/Labor Day weekends. I've found U.S. Campgrounds./info to be most helpful in my travels. Not only do I prefer the space and natural ambiance offered at Federal/State/City&County parks, but there are numerous hidden gems known mainly by the locals who apparently have somewhere else to go during the holidays.

RVn Full-time

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/13 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think both ways would offer problems. AND while the others think of reservations, I would really recommend not doing them. Its just to stressful - having to be at point X one Day X and trying to remember where your suppose to be on the next.
Lets say you want to see the Grand Canyon and the RV parks in the area are full, so find a place nearby, park and rent a car and drive in. Cost a bit more in money but
I would start in LA and head east as the summer months can be brutal mid summer, and the bad spring storms will still be east of you.
You didn't say what you were traveling in. Are you renting RVs, bringing them, tenting. (If your tenting, you should have no problems finding spots to camp.)
Lastly once your here, come on this forum and say I'm here in X, what should we check out. You might find that there are tons of local sites that would be awesome to see.
I just finished reading A Sunburned County and would love to circumnavigate your country.
If you hit the Seattle area, let me know and I'll come hug your neck and give you a tour of my neck of the world. Just bring a raincoat.

Our Road Less Traveled

Mik68

Perth, Western Australia

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/13 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roy&Lynne wrote:

I think both ways would offer problems. AND while the others think of reservations, I would really recommend not doing them. Its just to stressful - having to be at point X one Day X and trying to remember where your suppose to be on the next.
Lets say you want to see the Grand Canyon and the RV parks in the area are full, so find a place nearby, park and rent a car and drive in. Cost a bit more in money but
I would start in LA and head east as the summer months can be brutal mid summer, and the bad spring storms will still be east of you.
You didn't say what you were traveling in. Are you renting RVs, bringing them, tenting. (If your tenting, you should have no problems finding spots to camp.)
Lastly once your here, come on this forum and say I'm here in X, what should we check out. You might find that there are tons of local sites that would be awesome to see.
I just finished reading A Sunburned County and would love to circumnavigate your country.
If you hit the Seattle area, let me know and I'll come hug your neck and give you a tour of my neck of the world. Just bring a raincoat.

I hear what you're saying guys about making reservations, especially 6 months, even 1 month in advance. Us Aussies are pretty laid back & just like to go with the flow, especially as we are on holiday, we may want to stop longer somewhere we are really enjoying or kids may get to sick to travel to meet our reserved posy.
We will be travelling in a FW. Is boon docking an option for a night or 2 until we can find a spot?

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/13 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon docking is always an option, I would suggest that you bookmark some sites on your computer so you will have them available.

Ultimate

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/13 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mik68 wrote:

I hear what you're saying guys about making reservations, especially 6 months, even 1 month in advance. Us Aussies are pretty laid back & just like to go with the flow, especially as we are on holiday, we may want to stop longer somewhere we are really enjoying or kids may get to sick to travel to meet our reserved posy.
We will be travelling in a FW. Is boon docking an option for a night or 2 until we can find a spot?

We took our kids on a cross-country tour of the U.S. back in 2007. The only reservations we made ahead were at Yellowstone. The rest of the time around 3pm we just looked on the map to determine where we'be in about 2 hours, call them up and make a reservation. Usually we didn't need to give them a credit card and there were a few times when we got there it was a sketchy place, so we just moved on down the road. But you definitely need advance reservations for Memorial Day, July 4th(Independence day), and Labor day weekends.

Definitely keep your plan flexible. Someone sooner or later is gonna need a sick day, or a sick week even. You may find that being on the road daily isn't your cuppa tea. We realized pretty quickly that for every 2 days driving, we needed 2-3 days downtime to relax. Our kids were 12 & 14 at that time and it was very important to have places where they could get out and run around, swim and be safe. We opted not to boondock because I just didn't feel comfortable with them at a rest area, truck stop, or parking lot.

Just remember, there are emergency rooms and Walmarts everywhere. We discovered that when we ran out of my son's seizure medicine in San Antonio and when my husband got really, really sick in Las Vegas. And when I got an ear infection and burst an eardrum at Mount St. Helens. And when I scratched a cornea in Seattle. Oy!

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> RVing in the summer holiday's. HELP?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts