Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Don't move firewood
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Don't move firewood

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
CAJW

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/13 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Food for thought. Don't move firewood
There is an interactive map to see what restrictions the state you're traveling to has,but the best policy is to not haul firewood and just buy it where you'll burn it. Searching for this topic on the forum, I found it was discussed in 2010, but it's good reminder for all of us to help protect all the beautiful areas we now enjoy.

2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableload Upper Overloads & Frame Mount Tie-downs, w/ Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Torklift Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wig, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507 sensors, CubbyCam.

loulou57

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/13 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same goes for in Canada. Provincial parks in Ontario ask if you have firewood. If you are transferring from a restricted area it will be taken from you.

We all know how expensive wood can be in parks to buy, $6.50 - $7.50 in a provincial park for about 8 pieces. A forest can be destroyed rather quickly, so we should budget wood into our RV budgets.

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/13 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last time through the bug station at Topaz Lake, "any firewood"? was their only question.

At the bug station north of Reno, they said "welcome back"......

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/13 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have to have firewood, find a local mill that has cured, untreated 4x4s and can cut them to length. The curing process bakes out all the bugs and the wood will burn better.

loulou57

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/13 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most parks accept cut offs. If you know of a local cabinet shop or know a carpenter. you can usually get them free. Just make sure nothing has glue

Kittykath

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/13 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a win-win situation. Our county park charges a $15 cutting permit, good for one month. Since our camper stays there, we cut a season's worth of firewood in one weekend, and the wood stays there too.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/13 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple pf campgrounds we go to have a no firewood period rule! Not even scrap lumber! Sorry, but that right there is just saying we need your money. If they were worried about there trees, then the rule should state no raw firewood, construction grade lumber ok, as long as it's not pressure treated. Sorry, but quite a few campgrounds are jumping on the firewood ban as a way to make money!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

deweysmith5

Wabash, IN

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/13 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Indiana allows movement within the state if the bark is removed. I have slowly watched the emerald ash borer move closer and closer to my house from Michigan until last fall I lost an Ash tree. The DNR properties at one time would ask if you have firewood but never ask now. We never take it to the southern counties since most of them have not been infected. Private campgrounds whether on a voluntary basis or by law have also restricted firewood. In spite of all of this I still see campers bring in their own firewood with the bark still attached.

KZ Spree
2008 Z71 Silverado
The Wife, The Lab, and sometimes a grandkid or two

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/13 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All well and good ,however never in our history have we been able to stop or slow much , any invasive speices ........ever.
zebra mussels
purple loosestrife etc etc
long after the emerald borer has passed us heading north we still are under a ban ,for what? Local firewood merchants use the ban to over price wood that comes from where?
Provincal Parks in the area get wood from Quebec ?????.
Money is wasted in a futile fight when it could be used better on things that are shown to work eg lamprey control ,yet funds are cut from lamprey control.
Many examples of this muddled thinking.

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
maxbrake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/13 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to add. in our town alone we have close to 3000 dead Ash trees. no one brings in out side firewood, there are no campgrounds within 50 miles and if there are, the EAB skipped a lot of towns just to get to our trees. the next town over has close to 10k Ash trees that are dead. and no I would not use these trees as firewood except maybe in my backyard fire pit. and even with that I don't think I would want any trace of the bugs around. anyway, what I`m saying is the bug gets around any way it can. and I personally don`t think the transfer of firewood is the single biggest reason for the transfer of the EAB. although that is the easiest and simplest solution, point the finger at a group of people and blame them instead of actually doing the research to see how they are transferred. of course they won`t do that because they don`t want to see te simple truth of it.........nature at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Don't move firewood
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS