Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: ST vs LT tires.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> ST vs LT tires.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next
CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/13 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is it about this subject that causes threads to close sooooo quickly?

The last lasted 8 hours!!! before it was closed.

So let's try this again, but folks - let's keep it civil.

No name calling, no accusations.

And to the moderators: Please don't close these threads. If you can't remove offending posts, at least consider banning the folks who are violating the rules. I know some people can't help themselves, but it is penalizing those of us who do follow the rules.

These topics are of interest to some folks, and we don't want obnoxious behavior, so if you have an interest - KEEP IT POLITE!!

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/13 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

I think you answered your own question......it's not the subject. It's the inappropriate responses.

TucsonJim

Tucson, AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/13 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last weekend, I took one of my ST tires to Discount Tire because it experienced a pretty major cut due to a road hazard. While there, I discussed the ST/LT dilemma with one of the more senior employees to get his perspective. I'll paraphase some of his comments:

1. Trailer manufacturers use ST tires because they are cheaper to produce and purchase. When you're selling hundreds or thousands of trailers a year, you can significantly increase your profit margin by using the lowest cost products you can.

2. The tire store deals with several unhappy customers every week who have premature failures of their ST tires. It has gotten so bad, that they have actually been working with one manufacturer to produce a ST tire just for their stores that has better reliability. But he said they don't have enough feedback yet to see if it's working.

3. In his experience, he's seen no evidence that there are "special" treatments, chemicals, additives what-so-ever used in ST tires that are not also used in LT tires.

4. He has personally examined sidewalls of both ST tires and LT tires, and he said that he has not seen any special reinforcement in ST tires that is not already in LT tires.

5. He reiterated that a person pulling a trailer with ST tires must maintain 65 mph maximum for safety purposes. He said even if you have to pass, don't exceed 70 mph for even a short period of time.

I asked him if he had a trailer, and if so, what kind of tires were on it. His response was "yes, a horse trailer, and I retrofitted it with LTs".

2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/13 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If EVEYONE would just agree with me, agree with MY point of view and do what I do then there would be no problem and everyone would be,"appropriate."

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

therink

Rochester

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/13 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW: I purchased a new Keystone fifth wheel from Camping World in March, 2013. Prior to taking delivery, I had CW remove the factory junk STs and install Firestone Transforce HT 235/85R/16 LTs.

One would think that if installing LTs on a brand new 12,000 lb trailer that is designed for STs (per the manufacturer sticker on the trailer)was unsafe or voided any warranties, Camping World would not have installed them. Or at least they would have had my sign a disclaimer.

I love the LTs. They are a by far a superior tire than any ST tire I have owned.

Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs wet
2012 Silverado 3500HD, SRW, LTZ, 4x4, Z71, CC, 6.0 Gasser, 4:10 Axle, Short bed, payload 3,900 lbs.

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/13 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just the other day we had to buy tires for our utility trailer. The manager of the tire store said he could only sell us ST tires since they were for a trailer.

I've been searching the internet for a PA law that says we must use ST tires on trailers, but can't find anything. All I could find was this:

"Tire standards. A trailer shall have tires that were manufactured in conformance with standards contained in Chapter 159 (relating to new pneumatic tires). See 75 Pa.C.S. ยง 4525 (relating to tire equipment and traction surfaces)."

We did end up with Towmasters (ST). We'll see...

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

2012Coleman

Jacksonville, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/13 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Too many opinions on the subject which causes discussion to devolve into vehemently defending one's own opinion. When it comes time to buy tires, I'm certainly not going to depend on opinions found here. As as a viewer/non contributor on this topic, I have seen both side of the argument so I'll use the info gleaned as info, but certainly not regarding a purchase decesion. Really - you could create a sticky with links to all the closed threads on this subject and have enough reading material for some time. More discussion is only a rehashing of the contents of closed threads, which I'm sure this one is doomed to be as well.

BillB800si

S.E. MICHIGAN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/13 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that we are being "civilized" I'll add my 2 cents.

We just traded in our 2007 Jayco Eagle 322FKS that had (OEM) Marathon ST tires on it. Traveled all over the U.S. and eastern half of Canada. Put on many 10's of thousands of miles on them (and some really rough roads). Had one blow out.Replaced all the tires after 5 years of wear with Marathon ST tires.
Having said that I personally would purchase ST or LT tires as long at they are rated at least as high as the OEM tires that come with the units.
RV manufacturers are not in the business of producing "junk". Considering the "pounding" that a RV takes going down our "rotten" roads I think they last quite a while.
There, that's my 2 cents worth.
happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab CTD
2014 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES trailer

Arcamper

Fayetteville, AR

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/13 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The factory Duro's that came on our Laredo pulled ok but had a vibration to them. Had them balanced and found out why. Off they came for Goodrich Commercial T/A's. Night and day. No more ST's for me!

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th
2008 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab SLT HD 4x4 6.7 Cummins with EB,6 speed auto
2003 Ford F-250 SD Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 Diesel
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 extended cab PU
Pullrite 16k Superglide with Super Rail kit
Brakesmart & Prodigy P3

bmupton

Saskatoon, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/13 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arcamper wrote:

The factory Duro's that came on our Laredo pulled ok but had a vibration to them. Had them balanced and found out why. Off they came for Goodrich Commercial T/A's. Night and day. No more ST's for me!

Having worked in a tire shop for a number of years all I can say about that image is: that would have NEVER left our shop like that. We would have replaced the tire and sent that one back as having a manufacturing defect.

Unless the rim had something wrong with it, but usually replacing the rubber and re-balancing solved it.

TT: 2013 Zinger ZT33BH
TV: 1986 6.2 Diesel Chev 3/4 ton van

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> ST vs LT tires.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: