Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Rallies, Shows and Gatherings: Americas largest
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Open Roads Forum  >  Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

> Americas largest

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/13 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went to Harrisburg yesterday. Too hot, 93, so took a long nap and it had cooled off a few. There were way too many rvs to look at and to me, Mfgs are unimaginative, 10 models with the exact same interior,same furniture, poop brown, and different lengths. Airstreams are overpriced with the one over 30 ft @ $10000.00. Why buy that when you can buy a really nice MH for the same price? The rest of it was like a Carney with people hawking $40 shoe inserts and stuff to charge your tele and dips and nothing related to Rving. They had most of the stuff CW carries in the stores too. I am a disbled VET and my wife can't walk or climb stairs so it would have been a total bust for her and for me had I taken her, I probably won't go again for another 10 years.

mark5w

Lehighton, Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/13 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was there today. It's a RV show. That's what's there for the public to view. You're choice if you want to go in everyone of them or none. Hard to have wood cabinets that are not some sort of poop brown. I hate the white ones. Floor plans varied with manufacturers. Airstreams are overpriced but don't like MH either because you have to pull a toad. Saw a lot of stuff related to RV's. Do not have a CW store near me so it was good to have the stuff available to buy. It is a large show. A lot there to see. BTW I bought the $40 shoe inserts. They're great. Walked in them all day and loved them. You actually get another free pair online. I'll be back next year.

Mark
Susan

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/13 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like the HERSHEY RV Show but, we decided to skip it this year.
However, we live close enough so if we change our mind we can be there in an hour or less.
We look at anything that interests us, but we don't look at everything.
See you in 10 years.

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/13 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll agree with you that there seems to be a lack of creativity and each manufacturer seems to have the same floor plans. In our search for a travel trailer around 26', there were a lot of trailers with the same floor plan as our Winnebago Minnie 2201DS. The one standout feature of the Minne was the amount of storage (wardrobes and cabinets) in the bathroom. The only other comparable trailer I could find was one by Lance, and not available anywhere near us in Ohio.

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7
2014 Winnebago Winnie 2201DS
Equalizer hitch
My photo galleries.

a64armt

Greencastle PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/13 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are headed there tomorrow. We live an hour away as well. I have been looking forward to the show for several months now. This is the first year our 16 y/o daughter can attend with us. It will be a fun experience for her.

The major problem I see is that PA or local dealers only seem to attend. As a result manufacturer's displays are typically limited to what their local dealers have in stock. This does lead to limitations in floor plans, interior and exterior finishes and options. A few high end manufacturers will take the time to bring in some special displays, but that isn't the norm.

Still, many models and floor plans to see. The last two years were great for us and motivated us to sell our Class C to move to a 5th wheel. We plan on finalizing our search this year with the hopes of buying early next year.

Still, I wish that more mainstream accessory manufacturers would make a showing. Hensley hitch for one. There is no shortage of "gimicks" or gadgets, but some are interesting (the electrically heated water hose for one). An older employee I work with visited last year and learned a lot about models and even full time resorts in Florida.

OJ

Vincent
Greencastle PA
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HD’s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/13 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a64armt wrote:

We are headed there tomorrow. We live an hour away as well. I have been looking forward to the show for several months now. This is the first year our 16 y/o daughter can attend with us. It will be a fun experience for her.

The major problem I see is that PA or local dealers only seem to attend. As a result manufacturer's displays are typically limited to what their local dealers have in stock. This does lead to limitations in floor plans, interior and exterior finishes and options. A few high end manufacturers will take the time to bring in some special displays, but that isn't the norm.

Still, many models and floor plans to see. The last two years were great for us and motivated us to sell our Class C to move to a 5th wheel. We plan on finalizing our search this year with the hopes of buying early next year.

Still, I wish that more mainstream accessory manufacturers would make a showing. Hensley hitch for one. There is no shortage of "gimicks" or gadgets, but some are interesting (the electrically heated water hose for one). An older employee I work with visited last year and learned a lot about models and even full time resorts in Florida.

OJ

The show is by the Pennsylvania Recreation Vehicle & Camping Association, no wonder there are many PA businesses there.

IndyTraveler

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/13 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to Hershey PA RV Show on Wednesday specifically to look at Class B Sprinter CamperVans. We had hoped to look at Great West Vans as we had seen one at an Ohio dealer and liked its quality and features (we live in Indiana). Also, had read daveydd's several posts about GWV plus did lots of other research on Class B Sprinters including Airstream, Pleasure Way and RoadTrek. We were disappointed when we arrived at GWV's assigned exhibit area and there was nothing but vacant spaces. So we called the show and they said GWV didn't show because of "problems with their equipment." We then called GWV's contact number from their website. OWNER Dave Debraga called us back Thursday morning and said he WAS at Hershey but wasn't allowed in because they had arrived Monday EVENING after the show's entry cutoff time. Their lateness was due to on-the-road traveling issues, not equipment issues. Even so, we were able to talk with Dave offsite. This was our very first RV show and whatever we buy will be our very first RV. We were VERY disappointed to hear that the show organizers kept out a manufacturer who had traveled so far and had paid to be there. Didn't seem to be a very accommodating organization, in our opinion. But Dave Debraga didn't let the situation get him down, so a VERY POSITIVE impression of GWV.

a64armt

Greencastle PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/13 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't comment on your dealer's specific scenario, but I have heard other out of state dealers say they were denied when they attempted to participate. These are nearby dealers in Maryland.

I understand that this is a PA RV association, but I am still disappointed by this.

We may go next year, but it will be on a week day if we do. We might search out another RV show with a better reputation.

OJ

IndyTraveler

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/13 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We traveled all the way from Indy to PA as this show was the closest in time and distance for us to look at all the Sprinter chassis Class Bs in one place. Otherwise, we would have waited until one closer to us.

Although we'd seen the major brands in Ohio at two different dealers, we went to the PA show because we wanted to speak DIRECTLY with the manufacturers and/or their reps. Even though the organizers kept GWV out, our goal was accomplished.

We understand the need to have rules and regs, but sometimes one must be flexible to remain fair to all. Doesn't seem like the PA organizers have much of a heart. It's follow the rules or else.

Saw them giving an "accessory" exhibitors a hard time, also, when they strayed out of their booth to hand out freebies (in this case, hand fans for those of us dying from the extreme heat and just trying to offer a way to cool off). And this was before we knew why GWV didn't show.

So, not a positive impression of the show for us, but we've only been to this one. Maybe that's just the way it is.

More To See

San Diego Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/13 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were there on a cool Sunday. Lots of Rigs, way too few vendors. It was nice to see several bare chassis on display. Freightliner and Spartan DPs, & the Ford gasser.

Don't know whether it was dumb luck or the Show guidelines but we were not hounded by a single sales person inside the Class A's the whole day - unlike at most Shows. It might have been nice to have had one in a short Class A gasser though when we could not figure out the sit down arrangement for eating. It either did not exist or was very well hidden. Maybe it was a prototype rig.

We only stuck our heads in a few of the other rig types and got out of there easily in a day. On to Pomona!

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

> Americas largest
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Rallies, Shows and Gatherings

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS