Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Pooper Scoopers... what do you use?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pooper Scoopers... what do you use?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Johnnyairtime

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay all...
I've gone over many websites, looking for the best and easiest to use pooper scooper (for larger dogs). I'm normally using a bag, and my hand... or, my spade shovel that I keep in the RV's storage compartment. But, I'd like to get something a bit more civilized.

I ran across this one specifically;
http://www.paw-pound.com/best-dog-pooper-scooper-superscoop-w-50-bags-flashlight/

However, I can't find any reviews on it. Or, if there's even been enough sold to warrant a good amount of solid reviews. AND, I really don't like having to rely on THAT company to sell me more bags. But, I also don't like using grocery bags that aren't biodegradable or come with holes already poked in them.

So... my questions are;
1- What do you use?
2- Do you fumble with bags that attach to the device?
3- Would you recommend it for large dogs?
4- Does it pickup on all kinds of terrain (concrete, grass, etc)?

Of course, if you just use a bag and your hand... no need to reply. But if your using some kind of pooper scooper, please do chime in. But remember, I've got a 100lb lab so I need large of whatever your using.

I was also thinking of something easy to carry on a walk. It's not mandatory, but would be nice.

Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to hearing about all of your scooper ideas.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We carry two of these...one for me and one for my wife..
They fit nicely in our pass through storage compartment...

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a small garden rake and small garden flat shovel to pick up after our 70# dog. Then dump into grocery bag and discard.

Don't remember where we got them....had them for over 10 yrs.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/13 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've used these
for years. The rake attachment is a new feature that I wouldn't use.
We use the tray and the spade type pusher.

A friend gave us something similar to what you are looking at. He loved it. To me, it was trash. Made more of a mess, in my opinion.

It all boils down to personal choice.

As far as on walks, we rely on the rolls of bags attached to the leashes.

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

hawkhill

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/13 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use the S.A.S.I. Scoop that was designed at the time by a 10 year old boy. It allows you to use your own bags,so you could purchase the new biodegradable bags to use with it. It has lasted for years. It has a telescoping handle and you don't need to even bend over to use it. Link is Here

2005 F350 PSD DRW SuperCab Lariat
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, "The goof ball" English Springer Spaniel

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have used various scoops and rakes and shovels over the years, and still use a rake and shovel at home. But in the RV it is too much trouble to carry one of those when walking our 75# Golden, and walking is when she usually does her business. So I just carry a couple bags in my pocket with us and drop in the first trash receptacle we come to.

bradnailer

Midland

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just use plastic grocery bags even though I almost hurl every time I pick up a warm pile from our Lab. I've thought about getting some kind of scooper but I don't want to have to carry it around while we walk our dogs.

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

chezmoose

Northern MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use these while camping. DH and I are both a little squeamish about the feeling of warm poo through a plastic bag and these keep your hands a little further away. They have a wire that holds the bag open and then when you're done you push down on the cardboard and the wire pushes up into the cardboard handle, sealing the bag. They are a bit large to put in your pocket (before use) when going on walks however.

Dispoz-a-scoop

DH, Me and 3 Australian Shepherds
2011 F150 EcoBoost Super Crew
"Elsa" - 2014 Skyline Eco Camp 19WQ
"Stella" - 1974 Starcraft Galaxy 6 PUP

ShapeShifter

Buffalo, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

raindove wrote:

We've used these
for years. The rake attachment is a new feature that I wouldn't use.
We use the tray and the spade type pusher.

We use a similar type, without the garden rake feature. (And without the pretty colors, just plain aluminum.)

At the camp site, we put a white tall kitchen draw string garbage bag in a 5 gallon bucket with lid. As "stuff" is scooped, it goes in the bag in the bucket (and the lid quickly goes back on.)

When breaking camp, the white bag is sealed and disposed. Then the scooper set goes in a new white bag that then gets wrapped around the handles, sealing the "working" end inside the bag. A spring clamp holds the bag tight to the handles. Then the scoop goes in the basement compartment next to the sewer hose, while the bag keeps things clean.

When setting up at a new site, the scooper gets unwrapped, and the white bag goes in the bucket, ready to start the whole process again.

This works very well at the site, but is not the most convenient on walks. We just use the pocket full of bags method, but I suppose you could take the scoop with you.

EDIT: as pointed out, sometimes the scoop needs to be cleaned. We bought the cheapest dishpan at the dollar store. Fill that with some water, and add a splash of liquid bleach. That sits next to the 5 gallon bucket, and if the the scoop gets messy, just set it in the bleach water and let it soak. When you pull it out next time, everything just falls off, including dried on smeared "stuff." The bleach helps sanitize things, and prevents nasties from growing in the water and making it smell bad.

* This post was edited 09/17/13 04:20pm by ShapeShifter *

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ LE
400 ISL Cummins/Allison
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad

Inside: Him, Her, and a pack of little furballs...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pooper Scoopers... what do you use?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS