Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: First years of camping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> First years of camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
loulou57

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you remember about your first experiences camping?

My dad driving 5 hours to a campsite, 3 kids in the back asking the age old question. My mother cooking supper on an open fire, only to hear my father in his broad Yorkshire accent, cursing about forgetting the tent poles in the driveway. The tent, hot pans, likely some supper and kids tossed back in the car and driving 5 hours home.

I never camped again until I was invited to go along with boyfriends family. Four boys and myself, the mom and dad, all squeezed into a small tent trailer. 2 beds and a fold down table. There was an add a room that served as kitchen. I remember it being full of boxes of food. No worries about, fridges, air conditioning, bathroom or tv. The only worry you had was if you were going to get a mattress to sleep on.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My parents owned a TT and had it parked all summer at a private campground for several years. They'd pull the trailer and we went on many, many road trips. They were square dancers and the "big" trip of the year was going to the annual national square dance conventions. I remember several long-haul trips.

But what I remember most about my early camping experiences (1965 through 1970) was that campground and the other campers there that had boys about my same age. We'd take our lawn chairs and sleep out at night on our own campsite. This campground was primitive camping 100%, and the owner's son would often join our overnights too. We'd build a fire, roast hotdogs and marshmallows, fish in the river, and skinny dip after dark in the old river than ran the length of the campground. We'd pay football, hike in the woods, and explore cornfields. Lots and lots of good memories. These were the days when kids could run free without any fear or dangers, and parents sat around their own campfires and guzzled their fermented brew (if you know what I mean). The times were much more simple then, much more "safe", and much more free. That's what I remember the most.

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Sunday School teacher would take us to Blood River boat dock on KY Lake in his old TC and he rented a $3 boat to mount the 3 HP outboard.

It was so cool since our family never got father than the county fair but hey it was a cool annual event to us kids as well.

TomHaycraft

Round Rock, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/13 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Family only camped once or twice, rented pop-up campers in the late 1970's. Where we did spend our time was sailing with a number of overnight stays around various places on Galveston Bay, with the occasional race offshore to Corpus Christi, or day sail down to Freeport, TX. Sleeping overnight on the boat, was very much like camping, but the days could be so different.

I took my boys out to various state parks when they were young, tents or simply the open bed of a pickup truck. Times were simple.

The boys, now 20 and 26 are nowhere close to marriage, hopefully equally as far away from fathering kids. I do look forward to the time, to help arrange for them to get their families out, see what I can do to help influence their interest in the outdoors.

2009 Silverado C1500 CrewCab - Timbrens
2013 Springdale 247FWRLLS - Reese Sidewinder - TST 507 TPMS

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My family did not camp. Us kids stayed in a tent in the yard a few times but that was it. My first real camping experiences were as a teenager with my girlfriends (future wife) family. I cannot share the rest of those experiences here. They are pleasant memories for an old guy.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

campersuzid

Bisbee

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping was a way to escape the turmoil back than. I can still remember the quiet, the yummy scent of pine, and the wonderful feeling of meeting a challenge and success. Guess something don't change all that much.

Peg Leg

Anderson, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/13 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember a primitive campground next to 40 acre fishing pond. The campground had a playground. At the time it was our family with 2 boys, wife's brother's with 2 girls and a duck.

The duck had some strange habits. It would stick it's head in the boot of a roller skate and push it all over the place. It would sit on a skate board and push with one foot.

BUT, this duck had a thing for white socks. I remember a kid, not one of ours, being on a picnic table inside a screened room just screaming his head off. Guess he shouldn't have been running around without his shoes on.

2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
06 Hitchiker II LS 29.5 FKTS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

classicdude

Effingham, IL.

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/13 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dad started taking me camping when I was 5 or 6. We camped on 'the river' and fished all night (or at least as long as I was able to stay awake). We had a couple of different locations that we used. One place we could drive to, but the other we had to hike in with all our camping and fishing gear. That was a tough haul.
It was on these trips that I learned things like how to swim, telling which way is north by the north star, telling time by the big dipper, and getting my first glimpse of the 'new' Russian satellite (Sputnik). Didn't take long to develop my mindset and skills for a lifetime of enjoyment of being in the outdoors. My little brother followed that same path a few years later.
We did camp as a family on a few occasions, but 'the river' was too dangerous for that since we sometimes had to move fast to get out. We didn't have cell phones with radar, so we had to check the water level every half hour to be sure a flash flood wasn't headed our way unknowingly! By today's standards, I would probably have been considered and 'endangered child'!
That bonding time with my father was irreplaceable...wish I could go back in time. Actually, I think I just did!

2006 Trail Vision 19QB
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 3:73
Drawtite WD 1000#

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/13 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The whole family (9 total) tent camping on either Freeport or Surfside beach. My uncle and cousins from Lake Jackson would meet us there.
Nothing you ate did not have sand on it. Nothing you touched did not have sand on it. Sand would find its way into your bed sheets. Sand, sand, sand, everywhere sand! But man, it was a blast.

Walking up and down the beach collecting drift wood during the day so we could have a huge bon fire each night. Yep, in the sand.

I can't talk about my childhood camping without thinking about sand

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 1500 2857

Kittykath

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/13 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a family of ten, our camping vacations consisted of my dad setting up our huge canvas tent in the yard of a relative's house or cabin. On our very first adventure, all 8 of us kids were "quarantined" to the tent, away from our cousins, as we were all had some stage of chicken pox.

It was a very long 7 hour ride home in the station wagon. Ten crabby people, eight with chicken pox, no air-conditioning and black vinyl interior. Ugh.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> First years of camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS