Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: WIFI
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
seguin

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/13 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am really frustrated with ALL camping guides. They say the campground has WIFI but when you get there it only works at a few of the sites and if it does work at your site it is very slow. Am I alone on this? I feel that guide such as Trailer Life Directory should change their rating system to reflect whether the WIFI really works. Comments?

Wishbone51

Newberg, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/13 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a wi-fi repeater that takes a weak signal and boosts it. Usually if I can get a signal outside, but not inside the trailer, this would help. You might want to get a 3g/4g hotspot. Wi-fi anywhere you get a cell signal.

2000 Komfort M-24TS
2004 Nissan Titan

RVing plans currently on hold.. Recovering from a bad motorcycle accident.

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In all the years that I have been on the road, I have never relied on wifi from a campground....I always use my own hotspot.

Camreal

Kerrville, Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/13 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

its a transmitter and depends on how far you are from it

TOMMY47

MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just finished a long trip.
Many parks "had" Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, in many it barely worked, if at all. In others, it was great. I was always pleasantly surprised when it was perfect.
I guess, when out in the middle of nowhere, those things happen.
I was very thankful for McDonalds.

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with Tommy47, many campgrounds will have WiFi, but not reliable. At one campground we were very close to a transmitter site, but the cg limited all users to 100MB per hour, took over an hour to download 1 page attachment to (125mb), to an e-mail.
Our local cg has spent 10s of thousands of dollars to upgrade there wifi and it is now acceptable. They are RVers themselves and try to keep there campground up to todays standards and wants of the camper.

Beverley and Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

tkcas01

Roaming Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SWD wrote:

In all the years that I have been on the road, I have never relied on wifi from a campground....I always use my own hotspot.

Ditto. Often I don't even try using the campground wifi. Typically not worth the investment of time. I have my MiFi, but in some areas rely on my satellite, and it is typically faster and more reliable than what the campground has to offer.

Of course, my RV is my home office, so I may be a bit more demanding than some.

Roaming Full Timer
2004 Monaco Diplomat DST
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of our rules is, never hope for a good connection in the PM. Way too many people are connecting, way too many are trying to download movies, shows, or mega-files.
First thing in the morning, usually easy. E-mail, web-stuff, all the stuff we need is usually easy in the early AM

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Dtaylor

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just added a MiFi to my wireless account. It works on 4G/3G so you are dependent on cell service. The last two outings since I got it has worked perfect. Check with your cell carrier for options

Our Travel Blog

2012 Wilderness 2750RL
2006 Ford Expedition

AprilWhine

Somewhere west of Laramie

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/13 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

seguin wrote:

I am really frustrated with ALL camping guides. They say the campground has WIFI but when you get there it only works at a few of the sites and if it does work at your site it is very slow. Am I alone on this? I feel that guide such as Trailer Life Directory should change their rating system to reflect whether the WIFI really works. Comments?

I agree. Also, I'm tired of the places that advertise free wifi, then give you one hour of Tengo.

I use my 4G phone as a hotspot, but one of the amenities we pay for in a campground is wifi. I think there should be a standard rating system. After all, if the campground said they have 50 amp service, you would want to know if it was only 30 amp.

1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2008 Mini Clubman
Pick one

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: