Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Rooftop tents.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Rooftop tents.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Darrah

Wichita, Ks.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/13 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just curious on how many campers out there use a rooftop tent with your vehicle?

Pat (human I think.)
Taz (dog, just don't tell him that)
2009 Majestic Tour II Ford E250
My blog: Http://visionsbydarrah.Wordpress.com/

popeyemth

owensboro ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/13 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll bet not many
Complicated(compared to a pop up tent) and VERY expensive (compared to a normal tent)
Good Luck, Mike

"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/13 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About as close I ever came to that was a trailer I used to pull behind my trusty ole jeep that opened up into a pretty good size tent. Looked alot like this setup from google search...

One of these AUSSIE trailers with tent would be ideal for me...

Actually my off-road POPUP does a great job for us camping off the power grid...

I would not want to commit my truck to a tent as I might need to go somewhere in a hurry...

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Darrah

Wichita, Ks.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/13 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, interesting input so far.

brookside

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/13 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a set of plans for a 4 x 6 trailer for storage and they were selling the roof top tents to go on them. It is cool idea and might work for younger people since you climb a ladder. Would have been great in the desert! I think you'll see them become more popular with the rising cost of gas and they go up so much easier and quicker than most other tents. I have never seen anyone using one but have seen a lot of photos in our search and video of them being erected.

Cathy, Alfred, and Andrew.
Appreciating each day

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/13 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our winter season is mostly desert camping out here in the low desert. The last thing I want is a tent that's higher than it need be to catch the winds that come up without warning and will take apart a cheap tent in no time flat.
For the cost of one of those tents I can buy a high-end polyester/nylon tent with the latest features for rain and wind integrity.

mbryson

Woods Cross, UT

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/13 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had one and really liked it. I had a great setup for it on a rack that I could slip in/out of my Dodge 2500 easily. They setup in two-three minutes and you leave your sleeping bag and pillow in them. Basically, you just throw some fresh clothes in there, climb the ladder and climb in your bag to sleep. It takes about 5-7 minutes to put the tent down. Arrange your pillow and sleeping bag flat, I had a little LED light I left in there so I'd make sure that was turned off, check all the window zippers as you back out of the tent, release the tension bars as you head down the ladder and fold the tent in half. The time consuming part (much like a tent trailer) is ensuring all of the tent is inside the cover as you zip it up.

I've had a tent trailer and prefer the RTT over the tent trailer in most situations. Our tent trailer was a 1980 so it was definitely not new, but I don't see that they have changed much over the years? It took me at LEAST 15 min. to setup the tent trailer and about 20-25 min to put it down and be ready to go. More storage in the tent trailer and it did have a built in stove so there are some advantages but to me, they didn't outweigh the negatives.

They are a little expensive $700-2500, but there are quality models at about the $1200 mark. The lesser priced ones are worth looking at and may work for people but I'd check them out personally before plunking down the cash.

I miss everything about it except the Dodge truck.

It worked well for me. I've always been happy about my camp trailer being ready to leave the house in 15-20 min. or less. This tent and some tote setups I had that slid under the tent rack were very similar in time setup. I'd then just have to hook up to the trailer and cinch the Jeep down and head. Worked pretty good. Truck became a serious money pit and I sold the RTT to fix some of the truck's shortcomings. Ultimately sold the truck and am glad to be rid of it.

In high winds (say 30 mph and above---we get those around UT...we're not quite WY, but some similarities) the tent absolutely sucked (very loud in there). My ARB tent didn't leak or have any issues from the wind or inclement weather. Worked good in the cold as long as you had the right bag. I've heard there are even better tents that are made out of canvas. I'll be checking those out if I decide to do a RTT again. I'm trying to decide between snagging an older ('93-97 460, stickshift F*rd longbed) and a rooftop tent or buying a similar vintage-to newer Class C. I KNOW the truck can tow the Jeep on a trailer (tires down is not an option for what I do on the trails) but hope to find a Class C that I dare beef up the frame extensions/hitch and that will climb the hills around here (I'm sure that'll be at 45 mph or so?) while towing.

The truck/tent option seems more flexible and works pretty good for me. I have had two knee surgeries on one knee and one on the other. The tent is a bit of a challenge, but not a serious issue.

I'd LOVE the heater and some of the other Class C accoutrements but not sure I want to throw down the $$$$.... Kids are getting older and busier and there is less time for camping now.

* This post was last edited 10/28/13 07:36am by mbryson *   View edit history

Darrah

Wichita, Ks.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/13 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! What a cool looking set up.

mbryson

Woods Cross, UT

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/13 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've kicked around building a rack on my flatbed trailer that would sit up over the hood of my Jeep and mount the tent to that. If I could store my flatbed trailer indoors, I would have done it already. We're just trying the normal tents for this years adventures

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/13 12:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I kind of like walking out of the tent onto level ground, not so inclined to put it on the roof. My 7x7 would fit on a platform atop a station wagon or van. I've thought about building the platform to put it up there, don't see the advantages (no bugs?) outweighing the disadvantages (5-7 foot climb, more difficulty erecting the tent, risk of falling, have to break camp to use the car).

I've been looking at tents that fit the bed of my truck, not so far off the ground, but still not sure what are the advantages vs tent on the ground, or a tent trailer to leave at the campsite. 2-3 feet off the ground does appeal to me more than 5-7 feet.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B
2001 Ranger Edge

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Rooftop tents.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts