Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Rant: low hanging trees on city streets
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rant: low hanging trees on city streets

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 03:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting around city streets is usually no problem for us. Driving on a street with lots of trees and you can see where larger truck trailers keep the branches trimmed usually around 13 feet 6 inches. Or if there is a low clearance signs are posted and you just don't use that street. Parking on a street should be no different. If the curb side of the street, where you park is less than 13 feet 6 inches, they should say so!
Those awning eaters are sometimes lower at the curbside than in the traffic lane and trees should be maintained or post with the low clearance sign. Rubbed against one today. I knew it was low, so I stopped and wife got out in front of me and gave me the "it's OK" to come forward hand signal. We parked and we walked down to a farmers market type thing. Came back in about hour an 1/2 and didn't give it a second thought and as I was leaving rubbed against a branch from next tree up and ruffed up the awning.
Parking on a street (where it is legal to park)is apart of the street is it not? City's and towns should either keep them trimmed or post what the height is. IMO

* This post was edited 09/21/13 03:45am by path1 *

Oakman

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/13 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry this happened to you. If you were in an RV park I would agree with you about the trees but curb parking on a city street, I disagree.

What good would a sign do telling you of the low tree branches? You admitted that you could tell the branch was low and your wife guided you into the spot. You simply forgot about the tree branch when you left, that’s on you as far as I’m concerned. We all make mistakes and it’s human nature to want to blame someone or something else for it, but learn from the experience and don’t park on city streets.

2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
TomTom 540S XL GPS

BuckBarker

Treasure Coast Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/13 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you want the municipality to post a sign under every tree stating the height of the lowest branch? The streets would look like a porcupine with all those signs stuck everywhere.

jspence1

Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually received a written warning from the city for cutting branches off the tree on my front lawn. I apparently have to call them if the tree needs trimming, I can imagine how quickly they respond to that. The tree was so low it was scraping on the roof of my minivan after it rained.

mytime

Winter Snowbird-somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

Getting around city streets is usually no problem for us. Driving on a street with lots of trees and you can see where larger truck trailers keep the branches trimmed usually around 13 feet 6 inches. Or if there is a low clearance signs are posted and you just don't use that street. Parking on a street should be no different. If the curb side of the street, where you park is less than 13 feet 6 inches, they should say so!
Those awning eaters are sometimes lower at the curbside than in the traffic lane and trees should be maintained or post with the low clearance sign. Rubbed against one today. I knew it was low, so I stopped and wife got out in front of me and gave me the "it's OK" to come forward hand signal. We parked and we walked down to a farmers market type thing. Came back in about hour an 1/2 and didn't give it a second thought and as I was leaving rubbed against a branch from next tree up and ruffed up the awning.
Parking on a street (where it is legal to park)is apart of the street is it not? City's and towns should either keep them trimmed or post what the height is. IMO
I agree, unless the street Is off limits to trucks or large vehicles, they should maintain their obstacles. I recently, on a main road, from a cg, the city had a detour set up onto and under trees that raked the side and took off my fm antenna. this is Bs, on a cg street? other areas too with really narrow lanes, with the street leaning and utility poles set next to the curb, this happens on numbered roads. give me a break..

2007 Country Coach, Allure 470, 42',ISL Cummins 400, TV- 2011 Chevy Silverado, Blackhawk and Brakemaster.

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

'Came back in about hour an 1/2 and didn't give it a second thought and as I was leaving rubbed against a branch from next tree up and ruffed up the awning.'

You should always do a walk-around before taking off. Make sure there are no obstacles, vandalism, tires are up, etc. Never know what happens, when you leave your vehicle.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/13 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holland, MI has no one on the Dept. to trim trees but says you can not do it yourself. Last year my son rode on the roof of our MH with the chain saw and we trimmed the trees going in to our condo. I think we should do it again, even though it is a city street. I am also the condo president and he is one of our workers.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oakman wrote:

Sorry this happened to you. If you were in an RV park I would agree with you about the trees but curb parking on a city street, I disagree.

What good would a sign do telling you of the low tree branches? You admitted that you could tell the branch was low and your wife guided you into the spot. You simply forgot about the tree branch when you left, that’s on you as far as I’m concerned. We all make mistakes and it’s human nature to want to blame someone or something else for it, but learn from the experience and don’t park on city streets.

I agree. If the OP's tail swing hit a tree/utility pole while pulling out, should there be a sign at every tree/utility pole warning you to be careful in addition to the 'low branchs' sign?
Sometimes we must accept responsibility for our actions. JMO

Mocoondo

Chicago, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/13 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You knew there were low branches. You should have exercised just as much caution exiting the spot as you did upon entering. I get the impression that if you scraped your step on the curb, you'd say the curbs were too high and feel the city should post a sign about curb height. Perhaps they should just post a sign stating "NO RV PARKING WITHIN CITY LIMITS".

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the OP!
A few months ago, I took DIL and GKs to Miles City, MT, for a National Guard Family picnic. I had to drive around the park where the picnic was to be held, to get the motorhome parked properly. The trees on one street raked the top of the motorhome IN THE DRIVING LANE! IMO, the city has an obligation to keep the trees trimmed to 14 feet above the surface of the street, from curb to curb! If they don't do so, they should be liable for any damage done to any vehicle that could reasonably be expected to use that street. Luckily, no damage was done to my RV. I don't plan to return to miles City any time soon.
I see the same thing on residential streets here in Billings. I will not attempt to take an RV down any of those streets.
IMO, it certainly IS the responsibility of the City Arborist to keep the trees trimmed away from power lines and at 14 feet above the street surface!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rant: low hanging trees on city streets
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues