Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Keeping the RV after moving to the woods
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Keeping the RV after moving to the woods

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
deleted-2

undisclosed

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/13 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the moderation team:
Kindly move this thread if the subject doesn't fit here.

Was wondering if anyone on here who may have bought a home in a wooded private setting (with say 5 acres or more) used the RV less or perhaps stopped altogether?

I realize we are each different.
Our situation is:
In our 60's
No children (close by)
Mostly healthy for now
Financially ok

I ask this because one of my own reasons to go is to escape our current neighborhood (and certain neighbors).
We have a few fears of living in the urban areas although our neighborhood is generally good and mostly well kept.

I found a great basic home in the middle of a semi-popular recreation area (Oregon House CA.) on 5 acres.
Seems as though living there would be close to our camping\RV experience without the need for an RV.

I'm kind of thinking we wouldn't RV nearly as much if we liked being home and had plenty to do on acreage.

One issue about moving and RVing is to have good neighbors who might keep an eye out and maybe feed and care for stay at home pets.
We are very fortunate here to have a great friend and neighbor who helps us out there.

So what are your thotz?

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/13 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lived on 35+ acres in the mountains and still had a motorhome. Used it, too. In fact, we sold the house so we could travel in the MH full time. :-)

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd keep the RV, at least to start with. Acreage is fun but can be a lot of work too. If you can find 5 acres with good neighbors, you are lucky. A lot of undesirables inhabit country property now-days. Good luck.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several of my RVing friends have spreads of 160 acres or more, including woodlands, streams, ponds. Probably also work outdoors 20-30 hours a week, though officially retired, but thats not recreation. They still hook up the RV and go to one of our lakes for a week or two, probably six to twelve times a year.

You'll have to learn from experience whether a patch of your own woodland in a rural development meets your needs for the out doors. Some people, their suburban back yard, country club membership, or walking to the city park is enough. Some are happy looking out the window at the buildings around them. Because you used a RV to escape from the suburbs, I don't think you should be quick to give it up. Your own little patch of woods might not be enough.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you live in Oregon you likely have access to some of the best State Parks in the Country - many within an hours drive. Living in the boonies shouldn't impact your desire to get out and explore in your RV,

Kevin

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although not as much acerage as you're looking at, we moved from a suburban neighborhood to an acre with corn and bean fields in front and behind. We do have nighbors on the adjoining properties, but it's 100% country living. We've lived there almost 5 years now.

Our situation was a bit different because we had difficulty selling the first house and had 2 mortgages for over 3 years. That put a real crimp on our camping excursions. However, living where we lived, we felt we were camping every day. We had a back-yard fire pit, a wood burning fireplace in the house, and the entire house is built ... reminds you of a ski lodge. So, yea, we're camping every day.

The only time we thought about selling the camper was when someone suggested we sell it so we would not have that extra loan, as our finances were stretched way beyond max already. But no. Didn't make any sense, because we moved BECAUSE of the camper when the zoning board told us we had to move the camper .... after having one parked for 15 years! Well, we moved the camper all right, and we moved with it.. and what a jewel of a place we have now!

Well, the house finally sold, it's been well-well over a year now and our finances are now back on track..... So .... do you know what we did? Yup! We sold the camper .....

And bought a new one 3 weeks ago.... Wanna guess where I'm sending this post from? No, not my back yard. I'm sitting around a campfire, listening to a bunch of young kids playing in the background, looking straight at my new Outback at Whitewater State Park (Indiana) near Richmond Indiana...

Oh... you want to keep your camper.... If you are anything like use, it's just in our blood too much now. After all, this camper is the tree-house, the play-house, the "hide-out" I never got to have when I was a kid!

Keep the camper ... you'll be surprised how much you'll use it ... you'll probably end up making a pad on the prperty somewhere and setting it up on your own private campsite and really enjoy the get-a-way... Just don't anchor it down too tight so you can allways pull up stakes and travel somewhere when the "itch" hits you!

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
Equal-i-zer WD hitch system

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought property for my RV too.

I full-time and I wanted to find a more secluded enjoyable area to stay for 'just' during the winter months instead of sardine CG's for 4 months. That got REAL old the second time I did it.

I bought a house on a beautiful secluded large piece of property. Figured this would be a very nice, peaceful way to spend the winter months.

I parked the MH in the driveway on the day of closing.........and she hasn't moved since.

Guess it depends how long, and how often, you have been on the road with your RV, and how good it's going to feel to be in a beautiful peaceful setting 365 days a year.

I am going to sell my MH and pick up a small TT just to have around for hurricane evacuation for the dogs.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Sea'scape

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No easy answer, and life throws curve balls. We moved to acreage, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Then my hip went and I could not look after the property. Moved back to the city, and started RVing again.

As one ages, you go through stages, such as family, needing, medical, physical capability.

All you can do is make the best decision for the moment, and be flexible. If you move rural and don't rv, enjoy it. Tomorrow you may be back in town and the rv may be the best thing. You aren't making a decision that can't be changed ever again.

md2lgyk

WV

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've done it twice. In both cases, we built a log home in the woods and kept the RV (a MH the first time and a TT this time). People sometimes comment that since we live in a log home in the woods that we built ourselves, why would we want to go camping?? Some folks just don't get it.

"The great object is, that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." - Patrick Henry

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the country, I lived for years in small farming communities. At one time I rented 280 acres and was surrounded by creeks, swamp, and woodland. Pheasants crowed outside my windows and fox ran across the lawn. I still went camping.

Today, my wife and I have an acre of ex-urbia between two very good recreational lakes and, besides feeling population pressure, it is fairly like the country. We still go camping.

Yeah, a few bad neighbors can really get to a guy, probably more so for gentleman of our age. I don't think you'd miss the cities for long if you moved out, there is a lot more serenity and ease of life away from big cities.

I guess this old song by Jerry Jeff Walker captures my thoughts about it pretty well: The Cowboy's Lament

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Keeping the RV after moving to the woods
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: