Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Toilet paper test
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Toilet paper test

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Dtaylor

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/13 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was looking for the link to the toilet paper test that tested how rapidly paper dissolved. I did a search but did not see the one I am looking for

Our Travel Blog

2012 Wilderness 2750RL
2006 Ford Expedition

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/13 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jar with a lid.
Water in the jar.
toilet paper in the jar.

Give it a couple of shakes and time it to see how long it takes to dissolve to a point that you are happy...

Repeat with other brands of TP.

OR...just don't worry about it too much..use what you have on hand at home and LOTS of water when you flush.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

Dtaylor

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/13 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought there was a thread here where someone had tested the various brands??? Been a while since I have seen it so I might be wrong

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/13 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dtaylor wrote:

I was looking for the link to the toilet paper test that tested how rapidly paper dissolved. I did a search but did not see the one I am looking for

Just as well you didn't find it, toilet paper dissolve times mean absolutely nothing. It doesn't matter if it takes two seconds or two hours. I challenge anyone to show proof that the "toilet paper test" means anything in regards to holding tanks. It's pure bunk to think that a fast dissolving toilet paper does anything for you.

Same thing for the "we only use this brand because it's septic safe". All toilet paper is septic safe and biodegradable. One ply doesn't mean doodly either. I use what I use at home. If I could find 20-ply paper I would use that!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/13 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toilet paper test result article.........aste-systems">LINK

And here is a video........LINK

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/13 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dtaylor wrote:

I thought there was a thread here where someone had tested the various brands??? Been a while since I have seen it so I might be wrong

No, I think your right. (Chuckle) I remember reading it also and in my mind an image of some guy stirring up glasses of toilet paper everyday and making copious notes. Which after reading article that led us to Not buy anymore of the "RV" toilet paper anymore. Just make sure what do get is "septic safe". That was maybe 10 years ago or more and we have not had any problems.
P.S. it was not the "rv" toilet paper that was the hassle, but remembering to bring it or buying it somewhere versus just bringing along what we use at house, made it so much more easier. Not including the conversation about "look honey, RV dealership, do we need toilet paper?"

1990 37 ft King of the road 5th wheel. Great carpentry, summer home
1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/13 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After looking at the various TP test times listed over the years, I've yet to see a regular everyday toilet paper that didn't breakdown faster than I can pull up my pants and run around to the dump valve. But then at 70, I have slowed down a little...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Queens Carriage

Treasure Coast, FLorida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/13 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm retired and never used RV paper. Just over the counter TP. Never have I had a problem. In my boat or RV. It is a holding tank not a septic system.

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/13 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consumer's Union, publisher of Consumer's Reports, tested TP several years ago and found some significant differences in the speed of dissolving. I don't recall which brands were the fastest. All eventually dissolved.

But, our RVs have holding tanks, not septic tanks. We dump our holding tanks into sewer systems, and most (if not all, can handle the slowest dissolving paper. It's the fat and grease that give the systems problems.

We use the same stuff we use in our two stick houses, Charmin, and have never had a problem in over 20 years of RVing. (One of the stick houses has a septic system, but the tank had very little "ash" when last pumped. Ash is what the pump guy called the solid waste at the bottom of the tank.)

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

Mocoondo

Chicago, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/13 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good lord, are we still obsessing over toilet paper?

For the swirl test to be even remotely valid, you have to take a wad of poop paper, prepare it in whatever configuration you normally use, wipe it across yourself, collecting as much detritus as possible, then with at least half a dozen witnesses present, drop it in a clear jar, cap it off and give it a swirl.

Only then will you truly know how it behaves in the holding tank. As long as what you are sending down there isn't bigger than the opening at the termination valve, it will sit in the holding tank, percolate real nice, and then flow out when you dump the tanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Toilet paper test
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS