Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Is Yosemite really closed??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Yosemite really closed??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
Fresno Tundra Driver

Fresno,Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/13 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't want to get into anything political here but I have an interesting question. Isn't saying that Yosemite is closed kind of like saying the ocean is closed? I mean the ocean is still there just like Yosemite is still there. Yosemite was used long before the NPS was created. The reason I ask is Tioga pass is open and there is access to Yosemite. I know of some campers that are still up there(backpackers actually). Sometimes I think certain things are done by the feds to be punitive to the people. I've said too much already...

E.Lee Galik

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/13 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I understand it, if a highway runs thru a NP, the highway is left open, but any of the off-shoots will be closed
Your comment about the ocean lacks one thing....just because something is closed, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If you close up your RV for the winter, has it disappeared? If a Home Depot is closed for the night, is it no longer a store?
When the parks are closed, they are still THERE, but we can't go and enjoy them...at least not legally.

Politics will eventually ruin this country....and they sure seem to be trying real hard to do that. I'm not going to say who is right or wrong. But, it would sure be nice, if they could try and get on the same page, and not hold us all hostage!
Of course, with an approval rating of about 20%, I guess we can't expect much more from Washington.

I understand that the State Parks are really trying to pick up the slack....so you can still go camping....

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/13 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the Yosemite is closed. You cannot legally even hike into it. If there is a highway going through a national park, it may be left open, but it is technically illegal to even stop and take photos. Bunch of hooey, but the government shutdown has to have an impact somewhere, especially since 83 percent of all government services are still open and operating, therefore the National Park system has drawn the black pea. Your vacation, your enjoyment of the national park system, all the employees and concessionaires and all the businesses that serve and rely on park visitations have been deemed "NON ESSENTIAL". Maybe that is what I should put for my occupation on my tax return and fail to send them any money. If my business is NON ESSENTIAL, I think the tax revenue owed from that business is NON ESSENTIAL as well. Too bad I would end up being watched by an essential guard at an essential prison if I actually took that action.

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/13 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Bunch of hooey

I couldn't agree more!

Fresno Tundra Driver

Fresno,Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/13 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both of you have valid points. But if National Parks belong to the people(only run by the govt, providing some services, etc.)I sort of think I should be able to camp and not use any govt. service. I paid for my Yosemite annual pass,which is supposed to be good all year. Will I be reimbursed for those days taken from my Annual pass? For Pete's sake, they even shut down the Web cams of Yosemite. Whats next? Are they going to put a big tarp over the statue of liberty so you can't gaze upon it?

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/13 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hear that they are spending billions to build high screens along the roads so nobody can see anything. Start looking for the fence crews any day now. They will be wearing Park Ranger uniforms.

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife

nomad297

Alexandria, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/13 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish they paid as much attention to securing our borders as they do securing our national parks from us citizens.

Bruce

2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2004 Silverado 2500HD LT 4x4, 6.0 liter with 4.10 rear, 3315# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/13 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jay Leno said it best the other night about govs closing the parks.
He said what are they going to do? Put a big tarp over the Grand Canyon so you can't see it?!

* This post was edited 10/07/13 06:40pm by an administrator/moderator *

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/13 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nomad297 wrote:

I wish they paid as much attention to securing our borders as they do securing our national parks from us citizens.

Bruce

Well said nomad297........

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/13 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the backpackers leave I don't think their wilderness permit could be extended or renewed. If you are on the pacific trail there is a good chance you could still walk through. If somehow you could live off the land you could very well stay in the back country on foot until all the hoopla passes.

Reminds me of the Pink Panther cartoon where he plays park ranger. At night Pink Panther closes the park with turning off the water falls, lake gets drained, trees come down etc.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is Yosemite really closed??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts