Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Park Rangers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Park Rangers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
D & M

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/13 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read a number of posts, both here and on other forums and I can't believe the feelings of a lot of people about Park Rangers. There are some forums that people want to spit on, beat up, or even shoot Park Rangers.

There are many things that never get old, but this is not one of them.

Yes, there is frustration over the closing of National Parks. But the lowly Park Ranger didn't cause it. Most of these jobs are seasonal. They are out there right now, doing what they have been instructed to do, without receiving any of the crappie pay that they earn. They don't take these jobs to be millionaires. Even the full timers don't make a great wage.

Anyone want a job?

And none of them are happy about the shutdown. They take these jobs because they enjoy the outdoors and want to protect our parks. They are people persons that want to be able to show them off, by giving tours and demonstrations to the visitors.

Are some badge heavy and jerky, sure. Not unlike some people that work with. But most of the guys and girls just want to get through the day without hassling with irate visitors. A lot of them are trying to turn a blind eye to the "insurgents" that go around the barricades.

So, go to the parks and enjoy them the best you can, if you feel so inclined. But if you get approached by a Ranger, cut them some slack. If you have to complain, take it down to the White House. He gets good pay.

My rant is over. If this post gets closed or disappears because it's too political, so be it.

Govern yourself accordingly.

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (the Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

WARNING: Do not grow up. It's a trap!

GaryGus

Sanger, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/13 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely agree.

Gary and Donna
2009 Dodge Dually Quad Cab 3500 4WD
2005 Hitchhiker II 29.5 LKTG
"Greetings from the sunny San Joaquin Valley"

shakyjay

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/13 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree.

Way too many people who have misplaced their anger over the situation. Some of the ones who are complain about the Rangers are the first ones to say you should report bad behavior to them while in the campgrounds.

2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/13 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was in Junior High School, I had a similar attitude toward my teacher, and pretty much, all teachers in general. The my sister decided she wanted to become a teacher. She ended up doing her "student teaching" class at the same school I attended. It was THEN I realized teachers are nothing but real people, not inanimate objects to be angry and hateful toward.

Then came my attitude about military people, think they were, well ... just somebody else, so who cared. Until one day "I" found myself driving a jeep and carrying live ammunition going from bunker to bunker along the 38th parallel in Korea. It was only THEN that I realize ... soldiers are REAL people and I could be shot just as easy.

So yea. Be reminded folks, those park rangers are REAL people with real families just trying to make a living.

Thanks for your rant OP! I appreciate your concerns!

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
I am now the proud owner of an Equal-i-zer WD hitch, 14,000 pounds. My Reese bit the dust after more than 10 years of use on 3 trailers!

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/13 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonderful!!! We volunteer in national parks and we see first hand what they go through. Thank you for the post...hope it gets some folks thinking on how to treat others.

Full-Timers for 16 Years
.... Now Seasonal
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2014 Chevy Equinox
2004 Jeep Liberty - for our fun

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/13 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amen!

And it's bad enough to hear about the abuse by frustrated tourists- but that wacko U.S. Congressman yelling at the Park Ranger that was trying to guard that D.C. monument is beyond outrageous.

As if he wasn't directly responsible for the closure! Surreal...

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/13 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you desire a job with low pay and very low work morale (kinda like the Post Office), go be a Park Ranger. Not bashing the Rangers that do it and can stick it out as I tip my hat to them.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/13 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back about 20 years ago, we spoke to some rangers in charge of Lake Roosevelt, near Phoenix, AZ. Their attitude was similar to, "We rangers own the lake and you boaters are lucky we let you on it." I have found park rangers to be officious (badge happy) and holier-than-thou. I have no use for them.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler

TucsonJim

Tucson, AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/13 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Back about 20 years ago, we spoke to some rangers in charge of Lake Roosevelt, near Phoenix, AZ. Their attitude was similar to, "We rangers own the lake and you boaters are lucky we let you on it." I have found park rangers to be officious (badge happy) and holier-than-thou. I have no use for them.

You need to realize that they put up with pure nonsense from the public everyday. I'm sure it rubs off on some of them. But to pigeon hole them as all good or all bad is to ignore the humanity in any group of people.

2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/13 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

How absurd!!!

Putting all park rangers into one experience, you say happened, is uncalled for!!!

We find that the ones we have contacted with are very helpful and glad they were there.

Back up and appreciate what they do.

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Park Rangers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: