Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Comfortable and Aesthetically Pleasing Campgrounds
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Comfortable and Aesthetically Pleasing Campgrounds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
LaunchnRetrieve

Sonoma County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/13 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took family and friends camping to a northern california lake. They didn't like it: too hot; too dusty; too dirty (you know dirt); too rocky. sigh

Wanted: clean, grassy, smooth ... campground/sites. *Before you say it, no, not my backyard.

I would like to bring my tent and my boat. I think I'll leave family and friends home while I try to find "the perfect" campground. As far east as north shore Lake Tahoe, as far north as Lake Oroville and Bullards Bar and as far west as San Francisco. Not sure about how far south, not familiar with much south of 80 or SF. Maybe 3 to 4 hours travel at 59 mph tops.

Fly fishing for trout would be fun. Hiking. Bike riding.

Any ideas welcome.

2001 F-150 SuperCrew (5.4L with tow package etc)
2003 Fleetwood Prowler 25J
2006 Sea Ray 185 Sport
Always at least 2 dogs in the family (currently chihuahua and chug; RIP Sam, Elvis and Marley)

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/13 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's no pleasing some people! My kids and DW are fine with where we hang out in the summer. Deserted logging road access, no internet or cell, basic toilets and cold water hydrant, 8 hour drive on one hand....on the other beautiful uncrowded lake, ton of room for tubing, nice beach, forests as far as the eye can see and barely any other people.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/13 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find a US Army Corps. Park. Anyone, it doesn't matter,they are all good and most are near or on water. (Have to wait until the Government reopens though)

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

LaunchnRetrieve

Sonoma County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/13 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SWD wrote:

There's no pleasing some people! My kids and DW are fine with where we hang out in the summer. Deserted logging road access, no internet or cell, basic toilets and cold water hydrant, 8 hour drive on one hand....on the other beautiful uncrowded lake, ton of room for tubing, nice beach, forests as far as the eye can see and barely any other people.

I was so disappointed that my friends (the wives) didn't like camping because it was "dirty". I need new friends.

LaunchnRetrieve

Sonoma County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/13 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog Folks wrote:

Find a US Army Corps. Park. Anyone, it doesn't matter,they are all good and most are near or on water. (Have to wait until the Government reopens though)

Yep, just called my local army corps lake and no launching/camping allowed. Closed for business. Expletives deleted!

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/13 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most Public Campgrounds have dirt. Even the ones that are still open. So they're out when your friends are along.

Maybe you can find some private campgrounds with astroturf!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

LaunchnRetrieve

Sonoma County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/13 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

Most Public Campgrounds have dirt. Even the ones that are still open. So they're out when your friends are along.

Maybe you can find some private campgrounds with astroturf!

I think maybe something a little more finished might entice them to try again. Me, I can camp anywhere!

buta4

MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/13 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you tell family and friends that you have to go scouting for the "perfect" campground.

You find a campground that YOU like. You then fish, go boating, cook, relax, etc.

Then you return home and say "Sorry honey, no luck. Guess I'll have to look some more next weekend."

Following weekend (And for every weekend thereafter before your wife finally realizes what her rascal husband is up to) ..same drill...quiet time, fishing, boating, vegging out.

Brilliant!!

Ray

WishWeWereCamping

South Santa Cruz County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/13 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog Folks wrote:

There aren't very many of those around here. The only one we've been to is Black Butte Lake, it sucked. Just a big mud puddle in September. All we remember about that trip (over 30 years ago) was mud, and leaves blowing up against the screen door with really hot winds at night. No place to swim.

What time of the year are you thinking about going? Now, or in the summer?

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/13 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WishWeWereCamping wrote:

Dog Folks wrote:

There aren't very many of those around here. The only one we've been to is Black Butte Lake, it sucked. Just a big mud puddle in September. All we remember about that trip (over 30 years ago) was mud, and leaves blowing up against the screen door with really hot winds at night. No place to swim.

What time of the year are you thinking about going? Now, or in the summer?

You sure have a long memory. Maybe things have changed a little in the past 30 years? No disrespect, just sayin.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Comfortable and Aesthetically Pleasing Campgrounds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS