Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Septic tie in
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Septic tie in

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/13 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My septic cleanout is only about 25' off my driveway. Usually I pull in the yard to access it with my slinky. I am considering running an extension to the corner of the house next to the driveway. It's a pretty straight shot. Has anyone done this before? Any creative ideas? Flexible/temporary pipe, or a more permanent PVC? Pictures of your set up would be helpful.

2013 ACE 29.2

dbbls

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/13 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't done it but I would use PVC for a permanent installation.

2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/13 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you do it, call it an additional clean out. not a RV dump station.
bumpy

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/13 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did two at my place.....I used ABS black pipe....the PVC tends to distort and leak after a while, especially if you tend to drive over that area a lot. Just make sure you get a nice grade on it and then that stuff will only run downhill.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/13 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had the slope (min 1%) and an easy digging area, I would trench it and install appropriate fittings and pipe runs and have a new service location (cleanout) right where I want it.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/13 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't call it "creative", but if you can maintain the proper pitch (check local codes) towards the existing pipe, I suggest digging a ditch and burying a PVC 4" hard line. Cut it into the existing line just past the existing cleanout with a directional sanitary 'T' fitting. At the "working" end, just use a 90° fitting with a stub up to a standard 4" screw cap cleanout at ground level. I dug a hole around mine and filled it with crushed stone, so any minor spillage when unhooking the slinky can drain down instead of puddling.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F53 chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS
Quadra Bigfoot EZE Levelers
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Jay Pat

Round Rock, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/13 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure "stuff" will be able to flow down to the tie in.
May have to dig down to the existing pipe, then shot some elevation/grades.
If you have trees around, I would use schedule 40 pipe. Probably, use schedule 40 anyway. I cannot tell you how much slope you should have. Hopefully, someone will know and post.
Pat

2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2011 Keystone, Sprinter 310

TucsonJim

Tucson, AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/13 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added an additional "clean out" on my sewer system. I used black ABS pipe to match what was already there.

For 3" and 4" drains, the 2012 International Residential Code, which most U.S. jurisdictions use, requires a slope of 1/4 inch per 1 foot of run. In other words, if you have a four foot section of pipe, your slope is 1 inch. You want to keep to the 1/4"/ft slope and not exceed it either. Of course, if you don't have enough slope, you won't get good drainage. If you have too steep a slope, the liquids will run too quickly, and the solids can be left behind.

2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/13 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1" slope in your 25' is more than enough slope ASSUMING you dump the black first. Plenty of grey water coming next to push any stuff still in the pipe. If you do not have enough depth to put a 90 on the new end, then I'd use 4" sch 40 PVC as your hose will not fit in 3" pvc.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

pfidahospud

Post Falls

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/13 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did exactly what you're thinking of doing. It was the best upgrade I've ever done! I started out by going to the city to ask permission, see about permits, and hopefully see a plot that indicates where the existing line was located. I was surprised in all three questions: where I live, no permission or permit is required for adding an additional cleanout (considered a "minor plumbing repair"), and no plot exists that has sewer line information on private property. They could tell me where it most likely intersects with other lines in the street, but that's about it.

For the install, as a "do it yourself" project, finding the line was the hardest part. It would have cost between $125-$300 to locate the line with a service. I figured I'd try for a while before resorting to that, and did find it between an existing cleanout right next to the house and the probable intersection in the street. I cut the existing 4" PVC line, and used a directional flexible "T", and piped it up from there. The plumbing was a lot easier than I was expecting. Pics are in this set here. Total cost was around $80, I believe.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Septic tie in
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS