Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Accessing RV Electric hook-up
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Accessing RV Electric hook-up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
cnidae

Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/13 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi There,

Is there any way to access the electricity hook-up for an RV if you don't have an RV? We're camping next weekend and since only serviced sites were available we thought we'd see if we could take advantage of the electricity! Not having ever camped at a serviced site though we don't know what the hook up looks like or whether we can access it using an extension cord or some kind of converter?

Sue

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/13 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most RV electrical pedestals have a 50A, 30A, and a 20A receptacle. The 50 and 30 require a specific plug but adapters are available at Wal-Mart. Not all pedestals are the same so some variation is possible. The 20A receptacle will be a standard plug. It should not be a problem using the power.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

cnidae

Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/13 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks fla-gypsy! That's good news!

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/13 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are paying for the electric site by all means feel free to use it.
Most camp ground pedestals will look similar to this

Just bring along a good condition 120VAC extension cord. Run that inside your tent and plug in a fan or lights or what ever you want that does trip the breaker. BE SAFE with your extension cord and don't let the receptacle end come into contact with water...

I would use a regular good quality 120VAC extension cord to run from the pedestal to inside your tent then plug in a multi-tap extension unit that has an ON-OFF switch on it. This way you have a quick way to turn off the power if you need to.

I might ADD pick up a couple of these desk lamps from LOWES and use the 15WATT CFL lamps in them. These will clip to almost anything inside your tent and not draw much power. We use two of these all the time for outside lights with one pointing down and one pointing up into the trees. Gives off a good light around the camp site and keeps all those BIG BUGS over where the lights are haha...

Roy Ken

* This post was edited 10/15/13 12:04pm by RoyB *

tkcas01

Roaming Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/13 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen some sites that do not use the standard pedestals, so you may want to call them and ask if they have 20amp receptacles. The place I was before just had 30 and 50 amps, which take a special plug and you would need adapters.

Roaming Full Timer
2004 Monaco Diplomat DST
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/13 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

(Most) electric sites have a 20 amp (household) plug, but it's possible it might not. I suggest also, call ahead and find out. If they do, take extension cord, electric ceramic heater, electric heated blankets (inside your sleeping bags ... oh how nice), electric coffee pot, television, radio, hair dryer, electric razor, electric frying pan, an electric lamp or 2, a crock pot, your computer, I-pad, cell phone chargers ... well ... you get the idea! Take advantage of having electric. Don't do the stupid thing we did in our younger days and thought EVERYTHING had to be primative ... boy were we stupid, froze our tushes at night, ate half cooked meat and mostly raw vegetables over a fire, burned our fingers, never knew what time it was, .... and had some of the best memories you could imagine!

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer

Vapor_Trails

Yucaipa, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/13 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good post, RoyB.

06 F150 Screw, 6.5' Bed, 4x4, 5.4, 3.73
04 Tahoe 23RB-GL
01 VFR800fi
A day without fusion is like a day without sunshine.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/13 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the CG site has power pedestal it will have a 30A receptacle (some have 50A, 30A & 20A----some have 30A & 20A----some may just have a 30A)

So chances are high that they will have a 30A.
Get a 30A to 15A adapter and then you can plug in to most any power pedestal

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/13 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its kinda funny but where we camp alot here in Westmoreland State Park they have alot of non-electric tent sites mixed-in with the electric sites...

We have our favorite electric site at the end of a roll with bunches of tent sites on down the trail from there.

Everytime we get setup there is usually a tent guy standing there with an extension cord in his hand asking if we wouldnt mind if he hooked up... I of course always say "no problem" but keep in mind we have priority if breakers start tripping.

I went walking down one afternoon and saw where the line was that was hooked to my 20AMP plug. It split about 75-feet down the trail and who knows how many other tents where being fed haha... They all had extension cords covered with leaves hehe...

Just out curiosity I unplugged it one evening for a few minutes and you never heard so many grumblings down the trail hehe...

true story
Roy Ken

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/13 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

Its kinda funny ...
Just out curiosity I unplugged it one evening for a few minutes and you never heard so many grumblings down the trail hehe...

true story
Roy Ken

Oh that's BAD ... really BAD!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Accessing RV Electric hook-up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS