Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: sales pitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> sales pitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
tekman741

Gardner, Ma

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/13 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone ever see this before? We received a letter from I think it said Resort America for 10 free night and dinner for 2 if you tour our campground. Sounds too good to be true but it’s an hour away we checked it out. Called the number, we were told it has new owners and this was the campground hit by an ef3 tornado in 2011, Brimfield, Ma. Got there and we were greeted by a guy who acted just like a car salesmen and then I knew it was a sales pitch.
Wife said let’s listen for a while, sat down with another young guy who again looked and acted like a car salesmen. I came straight out and said I’m not purchasing a thing until wife and I could talk it over. He tried all the car sales stuff. In the middle I tried to read my wife’s thought about leaving but couldn’t so Half hour later I spoke up and said you’re selling a time share for camping for $8999 plus $364.98 maintenance fee. Hey hon the exit is over here. He said hey you can stay at any participated Cg for free. The other Cg offered, 2 of which, where ones I previously reviewed and actually toured looked horrendous(in my opinion will not name them). Has anyone seen this before? These guys supposedly owned Schroon river CG Resort in Lake George, So they said. $9363.98 plus other fees to camp for 14 days.
It was a scenic ride through central mass to get there though, kids got a nap.

04 chevy k3500 8'bed 6.0l gasser 4:10
2009 Keystone Springdale 296bhssr

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/13 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure, it isn't anything new. It is a common way to sell timeshares and memberships. Often involves an offer of free camping and/or free gifts.

If it works for you, buy it, if not walk away. These deals seldom are cost effective for weekenders/vacationers. If you are retired or are a full timer it might be beneficial.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/13 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never happened to me. But then if I am approached by these types of "offers", I just disregard. I'll bet if I want to go camp at any one of their parks, I can just drive up there, register and pay the daily rate, and they will let me pull right in and stay. And probably not nearly the money you're talking about. And if not, then I'll bet there is another C/G right down the road that will.

As a matter of fact, we do stay at a condo type park in Alabama. They sell lots for $100K. The nicest park we have stayed at. First time we stayed there a guy came by and asked if we would be interested to hear their 'pitch'. I said, "No...this is a very nice park but, I am not interested in buying a lot." His response was...OK...Fine...But we have to ask. Hope you don't mind? Have a great stay with us."

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/13 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of those salemen are pros. Always wonder how many get sucked into those high pressure tactics.I remember the old days when the high pressure car salesmen would keep your keys.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

TucsonJim

Tucson, AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/13 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will not even give them the time of day. As the old saying goes, "there is no free lunch". Some of these deals may be okay, but what happens when the company goes out of business? You're out $10K. How many nights would that amount of money buy you? If you were to pay $40.00 per night, that is 250 nights worth of camping!

2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/13 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used to get them 2-3 times a week in the mail or by phone. After a few years I dropped off whatever list they were buying, I think because I let some travel or RV magazine subscriptions lapse.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

IDman

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/13 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are you surprised that they tried to sell you??? Did you think they just invited you because they were lonesome?

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/13 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Barring the fuel cost, I can do a lot of campgrounds, maybe even resorts, before I ever came near that. $9k?!, that`s a lot of money to go camping. even at $100 a nite that is 90 nights! and at $50 a nite, 180 nights!!! no thanks. with fuel that`s 2 full years of camping, including 1 or 2 week trips!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

Kirk

Livingston, Texas.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/13 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where the catch comes in is that the sales pitch will be very high pressure if it is typical of those that we have attended. They make you pay dearly for the free things.

Good travelin! ........Kirk
Professional Volunteer
Fulltimer for 11 years,
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net

tekman741

Gardner, Ma

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/13 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Sure, it isn't anything new. It is a common way to sell timeshares and memberships. Often involves an offer of free camping and/or free gifts.

If it works for you, buy it, if not walk away. These deals seldom are cost effective for weekenders/vacationers. If you are retired or are a full timer it might be beneficial.

I agree you'd have to vacation more than 60 days a yr

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> sales pitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS