Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Too wide? Legal Width Restrictions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Too wide? Legal Width Restrictions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
RussOnTheRoad

Berkeley CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/13 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very recently I came across a Coachmen brochure which mentioned that some states restrict access on some or all roads to vehicles which are 96" or less in width. Looking into this further I found a document that listed 22 states (by my count) which restrict vehicles to 96" in width on non-designated roads. Tennessee restricts vehicles to 96" in width on all roads.

My newly acquired Coachmen Freelander 30 QB is 100" in width. So I'm wondering what real world concerns I should have.

Has anybody ever been ticketed for having a vehicle that is too wide? Has anybody ever had their vehicle measured? Has anybody been forced to have their RV towed out of a state where they were in violation of the law or been told to drive to the nearest border?

Is this something I should be concerned about or should I not worry about it as I plan my cross country voyage?

Thanks.

Subscribe to my blog for photo tips, travel, boondocking, campground, product user reports and more: RussOnTheRoad.wordpress.com

Luke Porter

National Director

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/13 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you can see on my map I've been a few places. Never had a problem with my "wide-body" coach.

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

powderman426

N. E. Ohio/The Villages, Fla

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/13 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see them standing on the side of the road with a tape measure all the time.

Just kidding.

There are plenty of other things one needs to be concerned about more so than your vehicle being a couple inches wider than allowed. I can't imagine anybody has ever been stopped. JMO

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/13 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

powderman426 wrote:

I see them standing on the side of the road with a tape measure all the time.

Just kidding.

There are plenty of other things one needs to be concerned about more so than your vehicle being a couple inches wider than allowed. I can't imagine anybody has ever been stopped. JMO
X 2...Who's going to notice an extra 2" on each side??

B.O.

2011 Big Country 3250TS...2010 Ram CC Laramie 4wd Cummins

Dennis M M

Geneva, IL; Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/13 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of fivers and MHs are 102" wide. Our fiver is listed as 101", but that does not include the awning. Never heard of it being an issue.

'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'11 smart fortwo on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/13 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time I have heard of this being an issue is if a side-swipe occurs. Then it becomes yet-another-citation...

It would be possible for an Officer to pull you over on "X" (speeding, what-ever) and use this as yet-another-citation...

As for random checks, never happens

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/13 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the above posts.

Just watch bridges that are under construction/repair where they close one lane. It is sometimes very narrow.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

powderman426

N. E. Ohio/The Villages, Fla

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/13 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was curious and found some interesting readingHere. It seems many of the newer rvs are indeed breaking the law. I'm going to tell on you. Lol

N7Bsn please take notice where he states that even an accident doesnt pose a problem. It just isn't being enforced.

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/13 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only place you might run into a problem being over 96" is on some of the old 2 lane roads. I know here in MI they have been widen the roads when they come due for new surfaces since most new school buses are 102" and it can be a little tight on an old 18' wide county road when you meet the local farmer in his combine! I've never heard of anyone being stopped except for several old 10' high bridges that have not yet been replaced.

Hammerhead

Moon Base 5

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/13 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kentucky was one of the state listed as having narrower width requirements in that link, but that isn't true.

Kentucky statute

A recreational vehicle that is one hundred two (102) inches in width and is registered under KRS 186.050, 186.655, or an equivalent statute from another state shall have access to any public state-maintained highway in Kentucky

powderman426 wrote:

I was curious and found some interesting readingHere. It seems many of the newer rvs are indeed breaking the law. I'm going to tell on you. Lol

N7Bsn please take notice where he states that even an accident doesnt pose a problem. It just isn't being enforced.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Too wide? Legal Width Restrictions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS