Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Replacing the tent zipper?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Replacing the tent zipper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
WishWeWereCamping

SC County

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/13 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone replaced their tent zipper? Our tent is great except for the zipper, it has a gap in it where it won't close. I've seen much better zippers on Ebay for about $20, seems like a no-brainer if I can take my sewing machine outside and replace it. We really like our tent and don't see any reason to replace it if we don't need to.

TucsonJim

Tucson, AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/13 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the skill, go for it. But do you really need the zipper? I camped in tents for years that didn't have a zipper, just flaps.

2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/13 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure change it out if you have the skill and a machine up to the job. Be sure to get a zipper that can be operated from both sides. Don't ask how I know this. LOL

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/13 01:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't ask me either, my wife made all my kids clothes until they
hit mid/high school. That said, this denier demands a commercial stitcher.Quality tents included lifetime warranties, contact them for a RA#. Bag it, tag it, and get feedback. I've bought 3 tents new-in-the-box off Ebay for 60% off and had them replace screens in one model. Whose product are you seeing the stars in?

loulou57

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/13 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As tplife suggested, this could be warranty. Our Armadillo tent has a great lifetime warranty, they were fast with the repair.
Is this zipper on a tent or a tent trailer? It can be awkward removing the whole tent area on a trailer.

I have replaced zippers on tents as well as tent trailers. Make sure you buy a good zipper (you don't want to have to do it again in a week)
Use heavy duty thread, don't forget the appropriate needle to match the. material
If your machine is a newer one it should accept the thickness of the material.

When you are finished installing the new zipper, treat your stitches with a waterproof sealer.

Before you start....call a local canvas repair shop. An RV outlet or a marina can help you find one. It may be cheaper to have it professionally repaired. I would pass on the $20 zipper. You need to look at what you are buying. No plastic.

Good luck

WishWeWereCamping

SC County

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/13 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, the tent is probably 15 years old, not the best quality, probably from K-Mart, and the zipper I'm looking at on eBay is much better qualiy than the one that's in there. After we bought our trailer we just didn't use it very much. It's not like we camp in the tent in the rain or really cold conditions. That's what the trailer is for. The tent is our fair-weather camping home. I used to sew quite a bit so know how to do it. The zipper opens up both ways. The tent doesn't have flaps, it's a door that opens up to one side. I'll use a bigger needle and heavier thread. The tent material isn't that thick so I don't think my Brother will have a problem with it.

I think that I might just go for it.

gypsy1997

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/13 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 18 months ago I bought an expensive Big Agnes 4 person tent (accommodates 2 persons comfortably). I have used it approximately 12 times and on my last trip I had the same problem. I actually have two zippers on the door and figured out I can zip one of them up to a certain point, and then zip down with the other one and I don't have a big gap. I'd like to have it professionally repaired but don't know where to even begin. On top of that, the mesh has lots of little holes in it. I am very careful about my gear and store it properly, so I don't know how all the little holes appeared. I guess small insects can get in that way, so as one of the replies says, why bother with the zipper at all. It wouldn't bother me nearly as much if I bought a cheap tent. I'll probably buy cheap ones from now on, except I wanted a full fly and you mostly only see them on backpacking tents. I also love the headroom in the Big Agnes so I hate to give up on the tent - about 68". I can stand up straight in it!

gypsy97
Big Agnes tent

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/13 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you replace the zipper I would make sure to go to the # 10 zipper like the Outfitter series tents that alps mountaineering uses .
You could go to a quilt shop and find references for expert seamstresses there .
The zipper itself might be hard to come by .
Or buy an outfitter tent from eureka or alps mountaineereing .
overstock dot com has the ZF-FG alps mountaineering tents cheap and they are asturdy.

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/13 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lowsuv, The Alps tents you cite are 50% overpriced versions of Eureka Tetragon models with outdated features like D-doors, pin-and-ring construction and thin Fiberglas poles, too few in number to support tents of this size. You would do a lot better following auctions on Ebay for high quality tents at those prices. They are fine for mild weather use, but spending more than around $70.00 for them is a waste of money (I have a Tetragon 7 I use as a loaner tent that I've used in pretty severe cold and light snow) in my opinion regarding this design.

* This post was edited 10/28/13 05:26pm by tplife *

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/13 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

an alps mountaineering meramac zf fg comes with a # 10 zipper and a 4 ounce nylon oxford floor which is the same as the eureka timberline outfitter 6 tent that i have also owned .
The ZF FG floor is further identified as a 210D .
the tetragon 7 has a 75D floor and a # 8 zipper .
the alps ZF FG has 11 mm poles and the tetragon 7 has 8.5 mm poles .
the meramac 5 is 8' X 10 ' and has a 6 foot center height .
the tetra 7 is 7' x 7' and has a 4'- 4" center height
the meramac zf fg weighs 14# 3 oz.
the tetra 7 weighs 7# - 4 oz .
the meramac 5 zf fg lists at $ 290 and can be bought from overstock dot com for $ 168 delivered .
I own a Eureka Timberline 4 and I gave my Timberline 6 to my son .
We boat camp with them and the Eureka Timberline tents are a considerably superior tent to the Eureka Tetragon 7 family tents .
We often boat camp and leave our TT at home .
We have had a downpour situation once each of the last 2 boating campouts .
I have stayed dry in all of my outfitter type tents Timberline and ZF FG .
My friends got wet in their family style tents such as the Tetra 7 .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Replacing the tent zipper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS