Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: TIRES?????
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> TIRES?????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
krinkle

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/13 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here we go again. as I posted here before I was having my dealer repack my wheels when they discovered a bad tire. Carlyle tires he told me they were the worst tire I could have on a trailer.
Today I visited with 3 tire dealers including the one that sold me the Carlyle's. He said he no longer sell those tires. Wonder why? China Bombs maybe. All the dealers I went to stated that trailer tires are only good for 3 maybe 5 years at the most. They all three recmomended Hercules trailer tires and most were within the same price range.
I have a question for Rvers here; Do you ever here of "balancing tires" One dealer does it the other doesn't see a need for it.
Question 2: Do you ever here of rotating tires? It seems that the rear tires get the most use. I was wondering if rotating them would help. The rear tires really get in a bind when making turns. Ever watched the rear tires when making a turn or backing in a site or driveway.
Appreciate all comments. Happy Rving.

Washington, DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/13 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/13 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

many of us do balance their tires on a tt. they wear better, they make the tt tow better and the screws don't fall out any more.

CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/13 12:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

krinkle wrote:

Here we go again. as I posted here before I was having my dealer repack my wheels when they discovered a bad tire. Carlyle tires he told me they were the worst tire I could have on a trailer.
Today I visited with 3 tire dealers including the one that sold me the Carlyle's. He said he no longer sell those tires. Wonder why? China Bombs maybe. All the dealers I went to stated that trailer tires are only good for 3 maybe 5 years at the most. They all three recmomended Hercules trailer tires and most were within the same price range.
I have a question for Rvers here; Do you ever here of "balancing tires" One dealer does it the other doesn't see a need for it.
Question 2: Do you ever here of rotating tires? It seems that the rear tires get the most use. I was wondering if rotating them would help. The rear tires really get in a bind when making turns. Ever watched the rear tires when making a turn or backing in a site or driveway.

Seems a big disconnect in information. The new Carlisle Radial Trail has been out only two years. I don't how they (your tire guys) would have a long term record on it-it's a new tire-
http://www.tirereview.com/article/88909/carlisle_has_new_trailer_radial.aspx

Also, if a tire dealer doesn't feel a tire needs to be balanced, then anything out of his mouth is suspect IMHO.

In addition Carlisle Tires were named official tire of the Bass Anglers and are towed over 35,000 miles per year-
"All Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Weekend Series trailered equipment ride on Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires and Black Rock wheels, and are towed from event to event an average of 35,000 miles per year without a tire failure.”
http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/news/announcements/tslug

So-I guess all your tire guys like the local representative from the "other tire manufacturer company" better.

Shadow Catcher

NW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/13 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our teardrop trailer is 1600# and there have been a number of stories on the Teardrop & Tiny Travel Trailer forum of catastrophic tire failures with serious damage from ST tires that are under loaded. All of these were Goodyear Marathon all young enough. Finding ST tires not made in China proved to be impossible (including Goodyear), If my memory serves me (always some what in doubt)some Carlyle are made in China some not.
I replaced my Marathons before a 3000 mile trip last year with Micheline Harmony passenger car tires which had a weight rating of about 1600# each.
Tire information (not easy to use but complete)http://www.nhtsa.gov/apps/manufacturer/index.htm
If you have a failure report it https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq

edatlanta

Panama City, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/13 04:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a 6.5'x12' utility trailer last week and when I went to the tire store to get the tires balanced the guy asked "Why are you balancing these tires. Nobody else does". I simply looked at him and said "because I want to". He decided to get to work and balanced my two tires. I had thoughts of PROVERBS 14:7 at this point.

Ed

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

abc40kids

Dale City,Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/13 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CKNSLS wrote:

krinkle wrote:

Seems a big disconnect in information. The new Carlisle Radial Trail has been out only two years. I don't how they (your tire guys) would have a long term record on it-it's a new tire-
http://www.tirereview.com/article/88909/carlisle_has_new_trailer_radial.aspx

Also, if a tire dealer doesn't feel a tire needs to be balanced, then anything out of his mouth is suspect IMHO.

In addition Carlisle Tires were named official tire of the Bass Anglers and are towed over 35,000 miles per year-
"All Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Weekend Series trailered equipment ride on Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires and Black Rock wheels, and are towed from event to event an average of 35,000 miles per year without a tire failure.”
http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/news/announcements/tslug

So-I guess all your tire guys like the local representative from the "other tire manufacturer company" better.

I sell quite a few Carlisle tires, normally on small trailers but did put them on one fifth wheel and have heard of NO problems. As for the bass anglers and Carlisle tires, I'm guessing it was more about the money and great deal / maybe free tires to go along with it.

There are some bad tires out there for sure but I know that a lot of the trailers / campers that come thru my shop have either incorrect tire pressure, one axle may be overloaded / not level and many small trailers are flat out over-loaded. Now aside from all that most say they roll down the highway at or over the speed limit.

No tire can withstand the blowout by a nail or something else in the road that may cause a puncture but treads peeling off are from low air pressure, driving too fast or an overloaded tire. Yes there are defective tires in all tire lineups from car, truck, SUV.... I asked my buddy the last time he came to me for a tire because of a blowout. When do you check tire pressure? He said when it looks low and he's also the guy that's always first to get home from the camping trip unless he has to stop to change a tire. He's running Carlisle tires and his blowouts not the tires fault.

We do balance all trailer tires unless the customer says not too..... Might as well do it, it's off the trailer and 2 feet from the balancing machine.

Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey,Dexter(Golden),Bruno(Pug)
Forest River Cardinal 362bhs 2006
2005 Chevy duramax dually 4x4 crew cab,Ultra Goliath wheels with Nitto Dura Grapplers and Banks exhaust.

nypatnva

Amelia Ct Hse Va

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/13 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had 2 sets (in ten years) of Carlyle tires on my trailer and the only problem I had was a blown rubber valve stem. Put in metal stems.
I balance my tires because they seem to run and wear better.

2000 Chev 1500 Silverado
1965 22' Airstream Safari
Yamaha EF2800i generator
Prodigy
2012 Old Town Stillwater 14 canoe

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/13 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most shops don't bother balancing "utility trailer" tires, because those are usually just being towed around town at below highway speeds. Anything being towed at highway speeds for extended periods (like campers!) I would say to balance the tires.

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/13 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2013 Forest River Flag Staff came with Load Range C tires. Checking the weights, found it was over 7900 lbs empty. Immediately wen to to usual ST225 75R 15E Maxxis. Peace of mind, PRICELESS. JMHO

charles weidman

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> TIRES?????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS