Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Suggestion of small propane heater?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Suggestion of small propane heater?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
beachlovingmom

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/13 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Returned home this past weekend and spent first night in Walmart parking lot. (check off bucket list!!) However, 37 was a tad chilly. I see there are small propane heaters on Amazon, but unsure if this is the best route to go. We are not ready for a generator at this point, so, is the small heater the best option?

Would using the oven be a viable option? I am not sure if there are safety concerns.

Thanks for any advice!

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/13 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tons of safety concerns! Carbon Monoxide being one of them. Get a generator and you will live to enjoy it.

Me Again

Shelter Bay, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/13 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beachlovingmom wrote:

Returned home this past weekend and spent first night in Walmart parking lot. (check off bucket list!!) However, 37 was a tad chilly. I see there are small propane heaters on Amazon, but unsure if this is the best route to go. We are not ready for a generator at this point, so, is the small heater the best option?

Would using the oven be a viable option? I am not sure if there are safety concerns.

Thanks for any advice!

Anything that burns the oxygen inside the RV over an extend period is not a good idea if you want to be around the next morning to drive to your next stop. RV furnaces that get their burner air from the outside of the RV are safe if you have a working CO2 monitor/alarm!

Maybe you should think about spend the 30-35 dollars for a RV camp site that has electric!

Chris

My Rig
2001.5 2500 STD CAB AUTO SLT 4x4, CTD 4:10's, Bomb'd to Tow
2005 Cardinal 29WBLX. Older posts can be seen by searching "Chris"

2012Coleman

Jacksonville, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/13 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Would using the oven be a viable option?
NO! Do not use the oven to heat your TT. Other people may use portable heaters inside, but this is something I would never do. Not sure why you would consider burning propane in an enclosed space a safe practice. I'd rather be cold than dead, but hey, that's just me.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/13 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many people use them. I wouldn't for the reason stated above.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

DSteiner51

Wooster, Oh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/13 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please! Use the furnace installed in your RV for it's intended purpose. If you must either increase your battery bank or buy a generator. I'm getting tired of reading of folks who don't or barely make it till morning. The undertaker can wait.

D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

TucsonJim

Tucson, AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/13 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good blankets are a much safer option if you can't run your furnace at night.

2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/13 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Mr. Buddy propane heater that we use, but NOT while we are asleep. We will use it in the 5'er if we have no power, but we keep a window open about an inch, we warm the place up, turn it off, close the window, get in bed under some good warm blankets and then DH gets up early, lights the Mr. Buddy and warms the place up again....with the window open. We also check and maintain our CO2 and smoke detectors religiously.

We purchased ours for use at our house, at Walmart several years ago when we had an 8-day power outage in January.

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/13 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does your RV furnace not work? It does not require electrical connection and a good battery will easily get you through one night. Never use the oven or the stove for interior heating.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/13 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DSteiner51 wrote:

Please! Use the furnace installed in your RV for it's intended purpose. If you must either increase your battery bank or buy a generator. I'm getting tired of reading of folks who don't or barely make it till morning. The undertaker can wait.

And if you don't have the funds for an expensive generator, HF has a unit for less than $100 that is enough to keep your battery up while running the furnace.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Suggestion of small propane heater?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS