Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Do you ever wish you had went smaller in RV choice?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do you ever wish you had went smaller in RV choice?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
jonrjen

Ovilla, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/13 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We began small and grew over the years into the 40' RV size. Both in a Class A and 5th wheel.

We have been looking at getting out of the Class A triple slide pusher into something more grandkid friendly I keep telling myself. But I am starting to wonder if this is really the reason for downsizing into a less expensive RV. In our search we started looking at TT in the under or around 30' size. Before long it moved back into the 36' to 40' 5 slide 5th wheel selections. I had closed a deal on a Wildcat 35' (40'overall length) bath and a half, but had a family matter arise that had to be taken care of and didn't close the deal to ownership level.

But, while looking and looking and looking I have also come across a travel trailer that is a discontinued brand by Keystone RV called the Vantage. The Vantage is a 29' travel trailer that looks like an Airstream covered in grey fiberglass....kind of. Meaning that it is very aerodynamic and wide body design. Over all length of 34' and about 10'4" in height with a total loaded weight max of 8,800#. My 2013 F350 diesel wouldn't even know it was there. The frame design on the Vantage is a bolted together with limited welding construction. IE: not a Lippert frame. The Vantage also has only one shallow slide out.

While I am impressed with the Vantage, I think what I am realizing is that one of the features I am really liking about the set up in the size.

* This post was edited 11/05/13 11:34am by an administrator/moderator *

jonrjen

Ovilla, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/13 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Part 2

Over the years of RVing in the big luxury appointed RVs I feel that when we go out all we have done is traded locations as to where we sit in doors to watch TV, read a book or cruise the internet. We are limited in size as to where we can park as we require high clearance due to the 13' height of the motor home not to mention 50amp service to power 3 air conditioners and appliances.

Don't get me wrong, it is nice. But I guess I miss the more basic pleasures of RVing like spending time outdoors, meeting fellow RVers, being able to fit into a site with low hanging tree branches that provide shade. Smaller sites many times offer more privacy when surrounded by trees. We are members of Thousand Trails, yet can't or don't use our membership due to the size of the sites and availability of 50amp service.

I look at the move from three slide out to one as a welcome feature, less maintance, less future problems, less interior floor space to clean. I know I could go with a 30' triple slide travel trailer and have more room, but for some reason simple seems right.

Has anyone else ever faced this feel of needs vs wants vs extreme vs compact vs simple vs complicated.

Anyone else felt the desire to downsize and find that doing so was the right direction to go?

* This post was edited 11/05/13 11:35am by an administrator/moderator *

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/13 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started with a 21' TT and now we have a 28' MH. I think its just the right size for us but my DW would like something bigger. I doubt we will change.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

jonrjen

Ovilla, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/13 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OH yea, I may have left out the fact that my wife really would miss the room, 4 door frig, washer/dryer, king size bed, big kitchen, and not having to get out the a truck to walk back to a trailer to use the restroom while on the road.

And as we all know, if Momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy.

Yet, she has said "if this is the direction you want to try, let's do it".

* This post was edited 11/05/13 11:35am by an administrator/moderator *

Ka Ron

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/13 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started with a 28' Class C and upgraded to a 34' Class A with no slides and now we have a 36' Class A with one slide.
We like it for now but as always, we will see where life leads.

Join Us For A Trip Down The RV Highway

jonrjen

Ovilla, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/13 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenbear wrote:

We started with a 21' TT and now we have a 28' MH. I think its just the right size for us but my DW would like something bigger. I doubt we will change.

One of my favorite RV trips was going from DFW to Disney World a few years ago. The wife, myself and grand daughter in a Class C 31' no slide out V10 powered Jayco bottom of the line motorhome. Could have used a second a/c unit, but we had a blast. I bought that Class C on Ebay and sold it here local. My grand daughter cried when it sold even though we had purchased the 40 3 slide pusher coach. It was the adventure to her, not the surroundings. Maybe that's what I looking to find again.

* This post was edited 11/05/13 11:36am by an administrator/moderator *

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/13 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, Been there, Not going back. We like the MH

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

JEBar

Willow Springs, NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/13 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jonrjen wrote:

Anyone else felt the desire to downsize and find that doing so was the right direction to go?

in a word, NO .... when folks who are accustomed to a larger camper start thinking about downsizing, it pays to make a list of the things built into your current rig that you want to do without

Jim

'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

portscanner

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/13 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from a 30' fiver to a TC and haven't looked back!

One beautiful wife, two brittney spaniels
2011 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed auto, 3.73 rear end
Torklift Stableloads, Superhitch, Torklift Tiedowns
2002 Alpenlite 1150
2005 Jeep Liberty toad w/ ReadyBrake/ReadyBrute
Web Site

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/13 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first RV was a 24' TT because that's what I had always seen and was available. I tried taking it to the kinds of places I like to camp and found it wouldn't really fit where I wanted to camp. After about a year I was at an RV dealer and saw a TC. I had never really seen such a thing. It was marvelous, all the comforts of home and it fit in the back of a 4wd truck.
I now have an 11' TC and am much happier. I can get where I like to camp, I can tow my boat behind, and it's much more maneuverable than a trailer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do you ever wish you had went smaller in RV choice?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS