Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Towable Kitchen?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Towable Kitchen?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Redwall

United States

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/13 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are new to camping. Tried out a few things recently, and I can deal with sleeping in a tent or the van (depending on the weather) but what I miss the most is my KITCHEN. (nope not the bathroom) I have seen some really nice micro-campers with kitchens that open to the outside (like the T@B) but we don't want the camper part...just a mobile kitchen, pantry and storage for all the camp site "Stuff" like a carpet, table, comfortable chairs, etc...

Before I go and try to build something from scratch, does anyone know of a nice Towable kitchen/pantry/storage unit?

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/13 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should look into getting a "teardrop trailer"

The sleeping area could be used for pantry storage and chairs and extra junk.

WoodGlue

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/13 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Redwall wrote:

My wife and I are new to camping. Tried out a few things recently, and I can deal with sleeping in a tent or the van (depending on the weather) but what I miss the most is my KITCHEN. (nope not the bathroom) I have seen some really nice micro-campers with kitchens that open to the outside (like the T@B) but we don't want the camper part...just a mobile kitchen, pantry and storage for all the camp site "Stuff" like a carpet, table, comfortable chairs, etc...

Before I go and try to build something from scratch, does anyone know of a nice Towable kitchen/pantry/storage unit?

Do some searching on the net in regards to Boy Scouts. Most troops build their own cooking trailer. There are probably plans out there.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/13 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on the teardrop. Several manufacturers out there. You could either sleep in the front, or like WoodGlue said, use it for storage. They usually have pretty decent kitchens in the back. Might check out "Little Guy" teardrops, Headquartered in Canton, Oh. They have them small enough to be pulled by a motorcycle(although I don't think this model had a kitchen in the back) and larger. Gary

'05 chevy 3500, duramax, allison, '00 Coachmen Futura 2790 TT, 35th anniversary edition, 05 lance 1130-stable lift

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/13 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are a few built ones and at least one commercially purchased kitchen.

Scoutmaster Kitchens

buta4

MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/13 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Do searches on google for off-road trailers. They have different models of kitchen setups. The australian ones are the bomb! Big bucks though.

Ray

tplife

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/13 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the teardrops, we looked them over, but for the price we could pick from a lot of barely used small trailers with more features. It would have to be a heckuva good deal, or the day after we won the lottery. I think a set of tools and plans for a DIY might be the way to go for a teardrop lover. Merrykalia, we have the soft-sided Kelty version of the "chuckbox" because it won't bang up the inside of my Prius:

* This post was edited 11/05/13 04:12pm by tplife *

Redwall

United States

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/13 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are slowly building a "build list" of what we want...

Found some reasonably priced 6Wx8L cargo trailers with barn doors in the back and a front RV door... Now to equip it and see what the build would cost...

I am sure it will be more than I expect, but it will be custom and exactly what we want, and we can slowly equip it piece by piece.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/13 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In sciuts, we built our own kitchen trailer. Didn't use it long troop outgrew it, replaced it with a kicthen in a large military surplus tent.

I like the idea of putting one together for the back of a van, minivan, or MPV. There is at least one designer doing kitchens for vehicles like the Element or Transit Connect.

* This post was edited 11/12/13 08:33pm by tatest *

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

SuperiorBound

MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/13 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked this site out, they can help you with plans and suggestions if you want to build your own. Many have. Teardrop or camp kitchen on wheels or camp kitchen with a tent mounted on top.

http://www.tnttt.com

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Towable Kitchen?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS