Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Do you chock only one side when using leveling blocks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do you chock only one side when using leveling blocks?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I level my trailer using leveling blocks then I cannot chock that side. Do most only chock the other side? Or are there better alternatives to leveling and chocking?

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel

We Cant Wait

Jamestown NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used wheel locks between the dual axles, and always set them before unhooking from my truck. This way the use of leveling boards did not effect blocking tires, the chock locks prevented movement.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the RotoChoks between the tires. They work regardless of whether the tires are on leveling blocks or not. And I chock both sides unless it is just a quick overnight stop and the site is very level or we stay hooked up to the truck.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I use the RotoChoks between the tires. They work regardless of whether the tires are on leveling blocks or not. And I chock both sides unless it is just a quick overnight stop and the site is very level or we stay hooked up to the truck.

X2

Bull Rider

Washington, The State

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SWD wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

X2

X3. Rotochocks on both sides. Had the BAL type first, one trip with those and I ordered Rotochocks the next Monday. Money well spent.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I chock both sides. You can too if you use the right KIND of chocks. If you're using wedges that you "nudge" with your toe you should be able to do that on both sides. If you're using wedges correctly then you actually use the tow vehicle to set them and that would not be easy to do with blocks under the tires. Get some sort of chock that goes between the two axles and it's easy to lock down both sides for a much more comfortable trailer when camping.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a good reason to use boards for leveling instead of the Lego blocks. The chocks sit on the boards just fine. Besides boards are much cheaper, and they don't sink into soft turf as easily.

You should always chock both sides.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Confusion is a prerequisite to enlightenment.
Enlightenment is a prerequisite to revelation.
Revelation without action makes no difference.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/13 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only chock one side.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

djgarcia

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2
X3
First I do my side to side leveling while still hooked up by placing the necessary # of levelers. Then I install the RotoChocks. If only overnight, then just one side, if for any extended of time, I install RotoChocks on both sides. I am not real impressed with those plastic chalks before and after the tires as there is no direct contact with any real pressure against the tires. While traveling and temporarily stopping i.e. Rest Stop where I have to leave the Diesel engine running to cool down and I don't want to trust just the emergency brake on the truck, I just put a 12" piece of wood 4x4 before or after the tire. I attached a strap to the block to place or remove it and then just throw it into the bed of the truck when done. works for me

Dick
djgarcia1939@gmail.com

MrVan

Home

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use enough leveling blocks or adequately long boards you can still chock both sides. The chocks then set on a leveling block at the same height as the tire. I have found that using the TV to tighten up the front axle chocks by pulling against them while inserting two rear axle chocks up tight is almost as good as putting the wedge between the tires on each side.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do you chock only one side when using leveling blocks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS