Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: RV trips have changed things!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV trips have changed things!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
loulou57

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hubby and I love to do last minute trips. We could be gone a night or a few weeks. We have done this for the last 25 years.

We bought our TT last year and take it wherever we can. Before the TT we always stayed in Hilton Hotels.
We like them because they are always the same. All!! bed coverings and pillows are changed daily. In fact the staff at a few automatically knew which room we would like.
The reason we bought a new TT is because we are a bit OCD about cleanliness and organization. We did not want to have something someone else had slept in.

Sadly, buying our TT has reduced my status on the Hilton Club because we don't stay there as often.

Do you still like to stay in hotels, or do you prefer to stay in your RV whenever possible?

RognBon

Roseville, Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/13 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got our first RV over 25 years ago and have not stayed in a hotel since.

RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/13 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, one big purpose of a RV is to NOT have to stay a hotel. Even at Hilton's, you can get bed bugs.

loulou57 wrote:

Hubby and I love to do last minute trips. We could be gone a night or a few weeks. We have done this for the last 25 years.

We bought our TT last year and take it wherever we can. Before the TT we always stayed in Hilton Hotels.
We like them because they are always the same. All!! bed coverings and pillows are changed daily. In fact the staff at a few automatically knew which room we would like.
The reason we bought a new TT is because we are a bit OCD about cleanliness and organization. We did not want to have something someone else had slept in.

Sadly, buying our TT has reduced my status on the Hilton Club because we don't stay there as often.

Do you still like to stay in hotels, or do you prefer to stay in your RV whenever possible?

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Badger Dog plus "Ollie"
"The Traveling Koala"
2012 Koala 21CS
2005 F150 Supercab 4x4, w/ 5.4L
And Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway Control

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/13 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An RV is just your other house on wheels. No worries about OCD, or bugs. Its yours alone. You can go anywhere. And the scenery is much more interesting than any out of a hotel window if you wish.

edit- you would have to pay us to fly to or sleep in a hotel. Destinations, to most rvers are not the glitzy places, but the obverse. Visit the attraction, but stay clear and quiet from it in your own compact home on wheels with elbow room outside, even your own ice without having to walk down the hall!

* This post was edited 11/10/13 06:08pm by SDcampowneroperator *

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taking the car on a long trip and staying in a hotel is ALWAY cheaper than towing the trailer with our truck. I can almost always get a very nice 3 or 4 star hotel for $60-$75 on hotwire or priceline. Lately its harder to find an RV park for much less than that and often higher in AZ and CA where we like to go. Fuel prices to tow adds to that cost so RV'ing is no longer a money saver over hotels.

However, I greatly prefer to stay in our RV than a hotel. Just got a new 5th wheel and love it and hope to use it often.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I avoid hotels as much as possible. It doesn't make sense to stay in a hotel while RV sits idle in the driveway. I use the RV whenever possible as much as possible.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

4aSong

Northwest Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are a few benefits traveling in your own RV over staying in hotels;
  • No concern about dirty rooms.
  • No concern about diet and wholesome meal.
  • Constant scenery changes
  • No reservations needed as you can stop whenever you feel like it.
  • As you drive from one destination to another you don't have to concern yourself that you have reservations that must be met or pay a cancellation fee.

This is just a few and there are many more that can be added to this list.

Mike and Nancy

Tundra TRD V8 4WD
Lance Model 1985 - The Kramalot Inn
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try as much as possible to avoid hotels/motels. I prefer to sleep in my own bed whether it is on wheels or not.

...a government big enough to give us everything we want is a government big enough to take from us everything we have...
Gerald R. Ford

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I travel a lot for work in both Mexico and the U.S. The poison used to kill bedbugs was outlawed in the U.S. When I travel there, I check the mattresses thoroughly, and keep all my belongings off the floor; suitcase, shoes, clothes, etc. It can be devastating.

On a trip this year to McAllen, Tx, I stayed at a Drury Suites. I woke up in the morning enjoying my morning coffee and a bedbug walked across my covers. I trapped it in a bag and took it to the front desk. I asked for trash bags to put all my belongings in until I got home where I stripped outside in the yard and threw all the clothes in the washing machine. May have been a fluke but it was a close call.

There is a guy on the Class B forum who suffered the rage of bedbugs and the thousands of dollars it took to clean out his house and therefore bought an rv. I dread staying in hotels. I love my rv and now take it to the U.S. for work when it is possible.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/13 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing as secure as your own RV for cleanliness and down right convenient, but the RV parks are beginning to challenge hotels and motels for rates.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV trips have changed things!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS